Yearling ready for showing (and colour qu)

Equi

Visit site
My little mini has had her first make over. I'm so impressed with her :) not bad for my first foal!

I was surprised by how light she was underneath - I expected her to be dark. She's registered as bay. She'll darken up right? Sires buckskin mums bay.

E36D3F9D-731E-455C-8AC6-4F70231BFFE0_zpsrxulkjj6.jpg

6D9A4D8C-DEAA-4E9F-851E-8655FD9043C7_zpszwvmb1gq.jpg

1900CB09-0DED-480D-BBF6-080DB23336AA_zps4al4tjz8.jpg

Last edited:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Most people would say that you shouldn't judge from clipped coat (and with good reason)
any unclipped/foal pics? She looks like she could be buckskin from muzzle but not eyes ;) I wonder if she has some pangare going on too which is lightening her light bits but wouldn't like to say from those pics particularly.

MissTyc

Visit site
I don't know anything about the colour side of thing but I love how she's standing to attention. She knows she looks good!

Equi

Visit site
Most people would say that you shouldn't judge from clipped coat (and with good reason)
any unclipped/foal pics? She looks like she could be buckskin from muzzle but not eyes ;) I wonder if she has some pangare going on too which is lightening her light bits but wouldn't like to say from those pics particularly.

Her fuzzy pics are foal fluff which has bleached so not the best to judge from either but it's the extreme light arm pits that have me wondering! No dorsal at all. She's a red bay colour in fuzz the same as mum, but mum hasn't got these very light parts underneath.

Mum has a pretty dark stripe but I don't know if she's dun or just counter shaded.

1B7B43D0-2E91-4901-8F73-4F246DBFB713_zpsbrjxnrmp.jpg

And mum fresh clipped.

Last edited:

Equi

Visit site
Will a colour test show what she is definitively? Or just give the colours she possesses?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
bays can have dorsal stripes I know as I have one he almost looks like a golden dun in the summer, she could still change but she does looka very similar colour to her mum.

ester

Visit site
For interest horses with primitive markings (like a dorsal) and no body dilution have 'nd1' though nd1 dorsals tend not to extend down the tail quite like a dun one would.

Essentially at the dun locus they can be D (dun), nd1 (not dun 1, possibility of primitive markings no dilution) or nd2 (not dun 2, not primitives). Obviously each horse can have two of any combination of the above.

Foals/youngsters also often have lines as foal 'camo' too.

Fluff pics make me say she is bay with pangare (no test for pangare)

Equi

Visit site
Haha yes I have done the mini world a service 😂

What causes pangare? Just primitive stuff?

ester

Visit site
well it is primitive but wouldn't be considered 'a primitive marking' does that make sense? Gene not isolated as yet hence no test.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Essentially at the dun locus they can be D (dun), nd1 (not dun 1, possibility of primitive markings no dilution)

I cannot believe I have realised what ND stands for :lol:

I also think bay with panagre. She is very by looking in the foal pic and clipping does weird things to their coat colour

rara007

Visit site
Super sweet!

Ps. It's a nightmare rugging a freshly clipped one this week! :( (She says just back from the field)

Equi

Visit site
Lol yeah it was really sunny today and she was in a heavyweight but didn't feel too warm so all was well. She is in a fleece and a full neck heavyweight stable rug at night with a massive bed so I hope she's warm enough.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Having now seen her foal fluff, I am not so sure she is brown buckskin. My mare was much darker. Clipped, she looks exactly the colour my mare is in her summer coat. Her dam is also pretty much the same colour clipped. I'd say I'm 75:25 on this one. She is either golden buckskin or bay with pangare. Interestingly, she also has a pale coloured tail. My horse has paler streaks in hers and I know a few buckskins with light coloured tails. A few bays have them too but they are more of a grey colour than a blond like you get with buckskin.

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Well she's utterly adorable! :D

I am very interested to see what she grows in as the foal coat can look different to subsequent coats. She definitely has something causing the pale muzzle, pale round the eyes and her underline. So I agree she's not a bog standard bay. Pangare is a possibility as is Brown, maybe both, maybe Cream is is the mix too?

Oh dear... it looks like you are going to have to spam us with photos once her summer coat comes in. :)

Equi

Visit site
So i took a pic of her lately, this is the colour shes regrowing i think? Or shes seen a ghost.....

75328B9B-BB30-4138-B9C5-48829DD8027C_zpswlfrla5b.png

marotelle

Visit site
She looks like a silver dapple, She might become a rich dark chocolate colour with a lighter mane and tail, the dapples and colour take about three years to get established.Its a colour often found in American miniatures and comes in différant variaties ie chestnut based ones or bay and the glorious dark bays with white dapples
<try looking up in her pedigree to see wether there are any silver connections, if so this is a dominant gene and will be passed on in future générations....I love them!

ester

Visit site
So silver dapple usually refers to black + silver and very recognisable in phenotype, this filly is not black + silver unless you would like to say what indicators you feel suggest that? Black silver foals usually look like black foals (ie not black) until their silver develops, apart from some subtle indicators like eyelashes ;).

She could be bay + silver but she doesn't have any silver indicators like restriction of the bay points in her foal pic, and the pale mane and tail. I think the light in her tail is just foal flaxen remaining.

And neither parent carries silver, stallion is definitely just buckskin.