YO's if a horse was ill and they were due to leave WWYD?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Sooo..... the bare bones of the case are that the horse in question has had laminitis? Yes? and now has a pedal bone rotation.

And the YO "knew it all" and maybe there was a problem regarding turn-out??? Yes? Perhaps horse was turned out, or kept turned out, onto rich pasture? And/or YO was asked to provide restricted grazing, i.e. by fencing off an area, and "knew best" and refused to do this?

I am pre-supposing all this.............

I get very confused with threads like this: there is an uncharitable part of me that tends to hang the word "sensationalist" in front of my consciousness............ sorry, but I have quite a suspicious mind - like for e.g. why didn't the OP tell us all of this in the first place???

It might be good to hear the response of the YO in this instance; he or she probably doesn't know they're being demonised on HHO!!! Methinks there is another side to all this...........

STRIKER

Visit site
Hear hear Tern, however there would also need to be a time limit or moreso a reduced livery rate otherwise it could go on for months.

fattylumpkin

www.thestoryofhorses.com
Why is the YO being blamed because the horse was mismanaged and vet's advice was ignored? It is absolutely the owner's responsibility to see to it that vet's instructions are followed and that the horse is managed properly, nobody else's. If YO was so terrible that they caused the lami/pedal bone rotation, the horse should've been moved ages ago.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Why is the YO being blamed because the horse was mismanaged and vet's advice was ignored? It is absolutely the owner's responsibility to see to it that vet's instructions are followed and that the horse is managed properly, nobody else's. If YO was so terrible that they caused the lami/pedal bone rotation, the horse should've been moved ages ago.

This ^^^^ also agree with "amymay" above in wondering what the cause of this was???

'Fraid I'm in the "jury out" camp until more honest information forthcoming..........

Moomin1

Visit site
To be honest really can't see the difference to a horse being moved to another livery yard or to a vet hospital if its ill.

Because one is necessary if a vet says so in order to provide treatment for the horse. The other is not.

Whatever the ins and outs of who is in the right and wrong at the yard prior to the horse becoming ill, it still boils down to whether the horse is fit to travel. If the horse isn't, and the YO has forced it to be moved, then they are wrong. If the horse is fit for travel, then YO is well within their rights to ask them to leave on the date.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
The horse was on full livery, the owner has been working away for the majority of the last six weeks.
The owner came back and saw their horse, and asked the yo how long she had been lame.
The yo had apparantly not noticied the lameness.
Vets were called.
Vets recomended a restricted diet, and a full bed of shavings.
YO said hose should be starved and refused to feed the allocated amout by the vets.
I was called and asked if i would travel the horse.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
So moving the horse would appear to have been the best course of action then.........

Well actually the best course of action would have been for the yo to feed the horse in accordance with the instrucion of the owner and the vet and allowed the poor mare to at least stabilise before travelling.

At the point of moving her yesterday, no one including the vets knew what state the horse would arrive in.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
But as YO wasn't prepared to do that, if it were my horse I'd be relieved that it had been moved.

What a really odd thread.

Moomin1

Visit site
But as YO wasn't prepared to do that, if it were my horse I'd be relieved that it had been moved.

What a really odd thread.

But if the horse was crippled then I wouldn't be relieved it was moved at all to be honest. Travelling places enough strain on limbs at the best of times, nevermind for one with rotation. Best outcome would have been for YO to allow horse to stay, and owner take over full care of the horse until fit to travel.

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
If the owner could have taken over full care I'll bet they would have. However, as Gingerwitch says they work away, so that wasn't an option.

Moomin1

Visit site
If the owner could have taken over full care I'll bet they would have. However, as Gingerwitch says they work away, so that wasn't an option.

Then any responsible owner would arrange for someone else to look after the horse - someone other than the YO if they are as bad as OP has made out.

Fides

Visit site
In that case the YO who is not taking care of the horse responsibly should be reported - I am quite sure they would allow some measure to be put in place then.

If it was my horse i would be reporting the YO for neglecting the horse and allowing it to get into the condition it did. I would also be forwarding them all vets bills.

_HP_

Visit site
Not entirely sure why OP is getting a hard time...blimey lol :p

Horse was on full livery. YO was given instructions from the bill payer/ owner and the vet and did not follow the instructions and has caused the horse more suffering and then kicked him out and made him travel while unstable. With rotation, this can be very dangerous and the YO should be ashamed IMO

Zero00000

Visit site
What I read was, the owner was away whilst the horse came down with lami, the owner returned and found horse in this state as YO had missed it, Vet called, Care information give, YO knows best so did not follow, causing the poor horse to suffer more, My guess is the owner had words with the YO, YO didn't like it, told them to get lost,

Id be glad the horse was out, a short travel in a lorry/trailer in pain, is worth it, rather than the animal being left somewhere where it will not receive the care it needs, and possibly get worse.

Action needs to be taken against to YO to stop it happening again!

Hope the horse can recover from this.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
HP I think that the OP is getting a hard time because she regularly posts threads such as this, she only gives part of the story, and she presents everything in a sensationalistic way, in order to provoke emotional responses.

Personally I would never have had my horse on a full livery yard unless I completely trusted the YO. If I didn't completely trust the YO I certainly would not be going away for 6 weeks and leaving my horse in his/her hands unless I had a friend that would and could look in on my horse at least 3 times a week, and whose knowledge and opinion I trusted.

I was at a yard once where my horse developed mud-fever. I left instructions and medication to deal with it, the YO decided that it wasn't mud fever but it was cellulitis and treated him for that instead, which made it worse. So I took him to the vets, got the vets to officially diagnose him with mud fever so she had to treat it as I requested. I left there very shortly afterwards as once that trust is gone, it's never coming back.

Moomin1

Visit site
What I read was, the owner was away whilst the horse came down with lami, the owner returned and found horse in this state as YO had missed it, Vet called, Care information give, YO knows best so did not follow, causing the poor horse to suffer more, My guess is the owner had words with the YO, YO didn't like it, told them to get lost,

Id be glad the horse was out, a short travel in a lorry/trailer in pain, is worth it, rather than the animal being left somewhere where it will not receive the care it needs, and possibly get worse.

Action needs to be taken against to YO to stop it happening again!

Hope the horse can recover from this.

Animals that are seriously neglected even are often left in situ if they are too ill too travel, and the courts issue orders so that another body can take full care of the animal whilst there, before removing it. Therefore, if the horse was essentially being neglected by the YO, and the horse was unfit to travel, measures could have been put in place to force the YO to hand over care of the horse in situ until it could be moved, saving the horse the pain of travelling.

Zero00000

Visit site
Animals that are seriously neglected even are often left in situ if they are too ill too travel, and the courts issue orders so that another body can take full care of the animal whilst there, before removing it. Therefore, if the horse was essentially being neglected by the YO, and the horse was unfit to travel, measures could have been put in place to force the YO to hand over care of the horse in situ until it could be moved, saving the horse the pain of travelling.

How long does that take to sort out? All the while the horse is suffering, looks like measures were taken to ensure the vet was made aware, and assuming all concerned were aware.

Im not too sure what I make of it all, as already pointed out, there is a pattern, but nevertheless if this really happened, then it needs to be taken further, to stop it happening again, and another horse enduring that amount of pain and suffering, and then to top it off, being moved!

Moomin1

Visit site
How long does that take to sort out? All the while the horse is suffering, looks like measures were taken to ensure the vet was made aware, and assuming all concerned were aware.

Im not too sure what I make of it all, as already pointed out, there is a pattern, but nevertheless if this really happened, then it needs to be taken further, to stop it happening again, and another horse enduring that amount of pain and suffering, and then to top it off, being moved!

It can be sorted within a few hours.

Moomin1

Visit site
Which they seem to have done - by moving the horse.

Personally I wouldn't call that responsible whatsoever - with a horse that has rotated pedal bones. Particularly since the vet had shown concern that the horse should not be travelled and given instruction for it to be cared for where it was..

frozzy

Visit site
I had to travel a pony over 400 miles from Dumfries to Robert Eustace's Laminitis clinic and was given advice by them on how to make the pony as comfortable as possible. He had started out over a year previously with a stress induced laminitis and now had contracted tendons which would have left him permanently lame had he not been operated on. My own vet liased with the clinic and we travelled the pony with no problems. Every case must be considered on its own merits.