Young horse bucking in canter

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
but an owner can learn to run their hands over the horse's back and find sore spots? it's not like I'm about to launch into a treatment plan but if I can spot this myself, I'd expect a saddle fitter to do the same, part and parcel of evaluating how the current saddle has been sitting on the horse in use and also I'd have thought kind of important if the owner is wanting to get a new saddle

for instance if a fitter arrived and it was clear the owner had no idea about their horse's back but wanted a new saddle, then it would save everyone a load of bother if the fitter examined the horse's back (within their own knowledge base), found the horse was sore, then said let's come back to saddles another day, this horse needs the vet/physio/whatever first. rather than just ploughing on with the fitting as assessing the horse's underlying fitness for saddle fitting is not their realm?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
A qualified physio shouldn't be diagnosing anything ?

Yes a saddle fitter should be examining and palpating a back prior to fitting or checking the fit of a saddle.
Indeed. My saddle fitter (same one as HufflyPuffly uses) checks the back for soreness as part of the initial exam and template taking. I was present once when she refused to continue with a fitting (not my horse) until the horse’s back had been seen and treated, in this case by the chiro vet (also same as HPs). The horse was incredibly sore, although the owners were oblivious.

Not saying that you would be oblivious to a sore back, Michen, but checking the back for soreness is part of a saddle fitters job.

Michen

Visit site
I guess it's just my experience/preference guys- I have used the two most respected fitters in my area and both have left any proper palpation or soreness identification to a physio- and I've always agreed with the logic behind why as have seen it go wrong.

TD, I remember a saddler doing this to my friends very sensitive mare. Palpated her and horse reacted. Friend panicked and physio (who knows the horse very well) came the next day. Showed her what she had done and physio was aghast and proceeded to show multiple horses reacting the same way because of how inadequately the physio had palpated- completely incorrectly. Obviously not suggesting that was the case with yours btw!

Maybe I'm using the wrong fitters but I guess the proof will be in the pudding over the next week or so :)

Pippity

Visit site
To go back to before the saddle-fitter diversion... The only times Blue has bucked, it was down to the saddle not fitting, despite a respected and recommended saddle-fitter saying it did. Riding in a bareback pad (one of the squishy Christ Lammfelle ones) suggested that it really was a saddle issue, and a new saddle proved it. (Of course, this was after I'd had all the expensive vet investigations done. Bah!)

Michen

Visit site
To go back to before the saddle-fitter diversion... The only times Blue has bucked, it was down to the saddle not fitting, despite a respected and recommended saddle-fitter saying it did. Riding in a bareback pad (one of the squishy Christ Lammfelle ones) suggested that it really was a saddle issue, and a new saddle proved it. (Of course, this was after I'd had all the expensive vet investigations done. Bah!)

I thought about trying him bareback but I REALLY don’t fancy it. I might be able to convince his pro rider to try tho ?

Pippity

Visit site
I thought about trying him bareback but I REALLY don’t fancy it. I might be able to convince his pro rider to try tho ?

I did wimp out and put stirrups on it the first time, just in case she showed signs of going airborn! I didn't use them but just having them there was reassuring. Then again, she's a lot less athletic than Bear!

Michen

Visit site
I did wimp out and put stirrups on it the first time, just in case she showed signs of going airborn! I didn't use them but just having them there was reassuring. Then again, she's a lot less athletic than Bear!

Could be an option! I’ve found an ideal impala and an equipe that I could rent, which feels like a good option if this does end up being a saddle issue rather than spending lots of money for a horse that may change again etc.

Michen

Visit site
Weird but he’s suddenly stopped bucking. I tried the equipe and no bucking, went back to the monarch just to double check and no bucking then either. Nothing this morning and he’s suddenly “got” canter transitions.

Still having physio next Wednesday but I’m pleased, I think he may have just got himself into a bit of a habit. Will see how the next few weeks go, I need a new saddle anyway will just be a case of whether it’s one for Bear or one for Bog!