Young horse bucking in canter

Michen

Visit site
Any thoughts please. 4 year old has had a long break from being in the school (where I bought him from breeder) and is now cantering again under saddle. Sometimes has the odd buck in canter out hacking, it might be at the very start or even in the middle though it doesn't feel exuberant.

He is however bucking in the school, they are small and he doesn't seem resistant or unhappy, he works through it and is then fine. He sometimes does the same on the lunge though I rarely lunge so can't say if its consistent but if he does do it he will do it a little at the start then settle.

He's been vet checked a couple of weeks ago inc flexions, had physio about 2 weeks ago too and a recent saddle check. Any thoughts on how to proceed- ignore and see if it improves?

He's done about 20 mins in the school max 3 times a week.

PatchyBabyHorse

Visit site
I think, that if you have ruled out all discomfort, this is something that some young horses just go through a phase of. The best thing in my experience is to just send them on, do lots out hacking, not much in the school, and just send them forward forward forward when they start. It can become a bit of a habit but is usually just a phase.

Michen

Visit site
I think, that if you have ruled out all discomfort, this is something that some young horses just go through a phase of. The best thing in my experience is to just send them on, do lots out hacking, not much in the school, and just send them forward forward forward when they start. It can become a bit of a habit but is usually just a phase.

Yep I think that’s the case. I don’t really want him to think bucking is ok.. but they are in no way unseating.

windand rain

Visit site
Balance and practce my 5 year old has just started cantering and bucks sometimes to sort her legs out. All checks done so hoping she will grow out of it. Hasnt lost her young unbalanced jockey yet so it is just balance I think.

Abi90

Visit site
Yes. My mare did this a lot when she was young and leggy and it was her way of sorting her legs out

Leandy

Visit site
Hopefully it is just a baby thing. Just make sure to send him forwards into a good contact. I would do that strongly each time, and the good contact makes sure you can keep his head up. If you keep him forward and his mind occupied with turns, circles transions and a good period of work, he will work through his exuberance and become stronger which will help if it is a balance/coordination thing. Other than this, ignore ignore ignore, like you would a pesty child! It should just be a phase and if you stay calm and balanced yourself he should forget about it as he grows up.

maya2008

Visit site
My first two youngsters did this and I only discouraged it a little as I didn’t really mind. One of them stopped on her own, the other bucked when she got excited for the rest of her ridden life. My current youngsters are for other members of my family, so I have discouraged it after the initial ‘sorting legs out’ phase.

Roxylola

Visit site
Supercob is not young but is (was) unschooled and unbalanced in the canter. As I ask the transition to be better, more up and dont allow speed to carry him in to canter he often bucks, it's not naughtiness, it's just his way of getting it all together and pushing into it. Also, he finds it hard so gets a bit tense. We ignore it, it gets worse then better as he gets stronger then worse again as his way of going improves.

IngramsRoughDiamond

Visit site
My Connie x Welsh D is not 'young' but after an operation and 8 months off re starting her been eventful as she is full of attitude ?. On the right rein canter is perfect on the left rein she gets her legs in a tangle,bucks and changes into the wrong leg, I was pulling her up and restarting canter, but she quickly learnt bucking meant she could trot, I got an instructor in who has taught me to kick on when she does this and as she's a chunk she's not likely to let herself fall over, and after a few strides changes back with out bucking, after doing this for 3 weeks consistently canter on the left rein is also perfect. She's to clever by half my little tank, she is built like an Irish draft on short legs! She's 14.2hh

KEK

Visit site
Mines still doing it too. Just being ridden by my instructor in the school currently as I'm very sore and don't want to fall off onto my butt and make it worse. Hoping it's a baby thing!

Flicker

Visit site
I had an older horse on loan a few years back. I brought him back into work after a period of time off with a virus. He bucked going into canter a few times. My very knowledgeable instructor said it was just him helping himself into the transition, more a jump than a buck. As soon as his fitness returned, his transitions went back to normal.

Marigold4

Visit site
Fine to ignore if it's a young horse sorting his legs out, but if it's naughtiness, he needs to know it's not OK to do this and/or you need to find a way to train him out of it. You will find it more difficult to sell him if you have to advertise him as a horse that bucks. My previous youngster did this when she started canter work - I let it be for the first few weeks then worried it would become a habit so changed tactics. "growling" at her when she did it registered my disapproval and flexing her to the outside on a circle just before the transition also worked a treat. She stopped bucking within two weeks of new strategy.

tristar

Visit site
i never let horses buck under saddle, a bad habit that can become dangerous, a good cussing and make it clear i do not want.

i try to give them the best chance to be good, so would lunge before riding if suspected of possible bucking, ok its generally exuberance or tension, in which case i`d rather start with a happy relaxed attitude, but also potential for taking control and dumping rider.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
To me, bucking can have very different 'feels.'

Some bucking is just sorting legs out, I tend to simply ride forward to allow the legs to sort, but then repeat the exercise until the bucking stops and have 3 repetitions with no bucking so the bucking is in the minority and over-written.

Some bucking feels sharp, and in a baby I simply lunge a few canter transitions until they are not feeling sharp any more. You can usually feel the sharpness before getting on.

Some bucking is simply joie de vivre, and I can let that go. That is never unseating, more an extra rounded canter stride with raised back. More an exaggerated canter. Jay Man did this, it made me laugh.

Proper bucking, where the horse loses thought of safety is another matter, that feels awful and is often the saddle fit. I would do saddle/vet checks for that.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Hm. Maybe I've been fortunate, but I've not had to deal with any of my young horses bucking as part of finding their balance/legs. I've certainly dealt with leg salad and young horses that felt like riding two different horses loosely glued together, but no bucking. My current gelding started a buck or kick out here and there in anticipation of the flying change, but we've got the sorted out.

For me, this is an absolute no. I'd be inclined to use my whip and strong leg to immediately drive them forward. I'm really big on forward (not running around like a maniac tho) when training a horse and do not want to accept any resistance to forward. A lot of horses are behind in the leg and sometimes it's so subtle that it's not recognized right away.

Usually there is a slight sign that a buck is coming. Or the horse is just too balled up/"collected" and or/slow and simply is not capable of that at the moment, so they buck. Keep the forward impulse. When my horse went through his anticipation of the flying change that would result in a buck sometimes, when I payed closer attention, I could feel it coming and a properly timed half halt did the trick and made sure that my hips stayed loose. Sometimes I'd exaggerate the bend a bit or ride shoulder in at the canter to get the focus elsewhere.

Another think I like to do is video my rides. Watching and being able to rewind and watch again allows you to see things that are happening with you and/or the horse that you might not have picked up on otherwise.

scats

Visit site
I’ve definitely been lucky as I’ve never had a youngster do the bucking thing while establishing canter. It’s certainly something that I would want to try and get him out of. Can you video it Michen? Might be interesting to see him in action to work out what way is best to deal with it.

TheMule

Visit site
A young horse shouldn’t routinely buck under saddle so I'd want to know more to identify the cause- is it broncy bucking (IE slow down, head down, back rounded) or within the pace/ normal frame? Several in a row or just 1 on its own? Related to the transition? On corners? Changing leads in the buck?

Michen

Visit site
This is definitely not sharp bucking! Just did a fair bit of cantering out hacking and no bucks at all.

I should add he’s being ridden by a pro, and she feels it’s baby sorting legs bucking as he works through it and is then fine. She said if her arse was out of the saddle in a half seat she wouldn’t even feel it- we are talking very baby bucks!

His big bucks are big, I know because he did one when he got the schooling whip on his arse for not moving off my leg ?

Michen

Visit site
A young horse shouldn’t routinely buck under saddle so I'd want to know more to identify the cause- is it broncy bucking (IE slow down, head down, back rounded) or within the pace/ normal frame? Several in a row or just 1 on its own? Related to the transition? On corners? Changing leads in the buck?

Stays within the pace, no head down at all. Does the transition and does a stride or two then a few bucks then stops and goes into a nice rhythm. Think he does it for perhaps 2/3 canters then not at all for rest of the schooling.

Michen

Visit site
I’ve definitely been lucky as I’ve never had a youngster do the bucking thing while establishing canter. It’s certainly something that I would want to try and get him out of. Can you video it Michen? Might be interesting to see him in action to work out what way is best to deal with it.

Yeah can get one on Friday when he does to arena hire! Bog didn’t do it either. He did catastrophic excited rear leap buck explosions though!

tristar

Visit site

agree

Michen

Visit site
Bummer ok there’s definitely an issue but I have no idea where to go from here. He’s done very little in the school in canter really since I posted. But I did have a very short lesson last week and he was bucking every time I really put my leg on (as a response to him not moving off my leg with a more subtle aid). He worked through it and several times broke into canter as a forward response- fine- no bucking. He has been out hacking cantering and no bucking.

Yesterday we went a new route, he got quite lit up and bucked in trot once along the road (trotting out of the way of a vehicle). He then bucked repeatedly in canter behind another horse. I put him in front and rode him into a contact- no bucking. So thought all seems quite cheeky at This point and not too concerned other than making sure he knows it’s not acceptable behaviour. The bucks aren’t unseating, they don’t feel like he wants you off whatsoever. He’s also suddenly got quite a bit fitter, he used to really tire half way through a hack but now after an hour and a half he’s still full of walk but not in a fresh/sharp way.

Today pro rider rode him. She mounted and he bucked after three strides leaving yard. Was on his toes (windy, hasn’t hacked alone for a while), being a bit bright, he bucked with every canter transition- not necessarily on the transition just within the change of pace- and sometimes in trot but again worked through it and was good for second half of short hack (30 min). No napping etc. She went in school after and WTC no bucking.

But I’m feeling a bit concerned tbh particularly bucking shortly after mounting- that’s new. I’ve messaged another physio for a second opinion, and will also get saddle re checked and in the mean time try another saddle (also deemed to fit him in every way bar a smudge to look- but may be a good diagnostic tool!). He’s had a vet check recently and dentist.

Alternative is either give him a couple of weeks off (not really an option with weight and grass flushing at the moment), or stop the canter all together for a bit? There doesn’t seem to be a pattern as such, it’s not a particular rein, or a transition, or necessarily a corner etc.

He’s a cheeky git in general but also very sweet, I would hate to be pushing though a physical issue if it’s behavioural but if the physio doesn’t find anything and vet doesn’t find anything if I get him checked again I don’t know what diagnostics we’d do. He’s sound on hard, circle, flexions etc.

I wasn’t lying when I said Bog and Bear tag team me on “challenges” ;)

Michen

Visit site
Does he buck on the lunge? Saddled or with a roller?

I’d definitely get his back looked at again and also try a different saddle.

I haven’t lunged him in ages.. over a month. But I remember him bucking initial and then stopping once he sort of found his balance.. usually within a transition or two on each rein.

I really hate bucking and even though these are big they really don’t feel unseating or angry.. he doesn’t put his head down when he does it at all.

scats

Visit site
I’d be tempted to pop him on the lunge and just see if you get the same reaction. Would be interesting to see if there’s any change with not having a rider on board.
An occasional hi-jinx in canter wouldn’t hugely worry me at first, but the bucking when a rider first gets on does ring a little alarm bell, particularly as this is a new behaviour.
I also hate bucking, so I totally understand your concerns.

Other things to potentially try if back check and saddle change doesn’t make a difference could be the use of a heat pad on his back ten minutes before tacking up (a warm, covered hot water bottle would work), and slow girthing with walking inbetween notches. As much as hate the term cold backed, I have had two horses over the last 30 years who we had to treat as cold-backed as no issues could ever be found. Might be worth just trialling these to see if any difference?

Wheels

Visit site
Physio and saddle check would be my next steps in that order.

The pic you put on the other thread and the saddle doesnt look quite right, is not in balance. Young horses can change so so fast, 4 to 6 weeks can see big changes

sherry90

Visit site
I’d lunge with and without tack to give an idea. Second opinion on the physio and get the saddle checked. Few weeks of just walk, trot. Then try again. If it persists after that (and nothing come up from physio or saddle checks) ask the vet to have a look.
My 6yo has bucked three times in his life to date. Once in canter in the school, once on open fields on his own (was more of a bronc/buck) and once mid canter at Somerford farm ride (he thought racing with 5 other was highly amusing and the buck was out of excitement) if he did it consistently I’d have everything re-checked and then vet if nothing came up.

Michen

Visit site
Thanks guys. Saddle fitting is such a nightmare, you can get a different opinion from every one of them!!!

Going to try the other saddle which we started him in tomorrow, and also my friends equipe which I think would fit nicely at some point. But if he’s got sore from the saddle I wouldn’t expect an instant result- still worth a try.

I do really trust my physio so unsure whether to get her back or get a different opinion. Am trying to remember if he bucked before the physio but I don’t think he was really doing any cantering at that point.