Your cancellable takes...

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
100%. Drives me up the wall when people ignore evidence from published, peer-reviewed studies just because "I've always done X and it never did my horse any wrong". Often the same people that couldn't recognise a mildly lame horse for the life of them.
'Back in my day, we didn't have any of this laminitis/kissing spines/pssm/insert medical problem here!'.

No, you did. You just had no idea.

Both fine examples of "now we know better, we can do better". Like "female" saddles despite the fact that, for fitting a saddle, there is minimal, almost insignificant, difference between the average for each sex. Nonsense, utter nonsense.

Gallop_Away

Visit site
Mares and geldings can be turned out together and large field herd turnout is preferable for the horse than individual postage stamp sized turnout

Completely agree!! My mare and 2 geldings live happily in a mixed herd with other mare's and geldings all year round.
They are turned out 24/7 on some 15 acres in the summer months, and out during the day on 5 acres in the winter. They are a very happy and settled group.

Alibear

Visit site
Not written in relation to each other

The best way to improve your riding is to ride.
If you pay for an expert's advice, listen to it.
One bad ride is not an issue, move on.
Several bad rides, investigate.
There are many different, equally good, ways to train a horse.
A cue can be anything
Work daily, but take your time.

Fransurrey

Visit site
I believe that you rarely "need" to groom horses living out.
A friend of mine grooms hers every bloody day. Right down to washing their noses and bum holes. I've tried to suggest that it really isn't necessary!!

I've ridden dirty horses (washing girth area only). If the horse has a thick winter coat, the only injury is going to be to my saddle pad and washing machine!

primula

New User
Visit site
Just because they can doesn’t mean they should.

Jumping horses at a 1.50m and making them perform uncomfortable looking dressage movements simply because they have the capabilities to do so doesn't make it right.

Following on from that horses competed at high levels are not happy. No turnout/individual turnout, constantly in heavy work with no time off and often with a ridiculous amount of gadgets strapped on them, many of which arent necessary (what ever happed to a simple cavesson?).*

What we perceive as a ‘happy life’ is far from what a horse does.

*Obviously not all yards keep their horses in this way but it does seem to be the norm at top levels.

sakura

Visit site
A lot of what we ask from horses is morally questionable at best (but that doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong)

Equestrian sports are problematic for encouraging horses to begin competing at young ages

Most full neck rugs are just a way for companies to charge more money for more material and are not necessary for a lot of horses

Caol Ila

Visit site
haha yep, this. Whoever gets 'cancelled' always ends up with more air time/publicity than before being cancelled.

For sure. You think J.K. Rowling's Twitter feed was getting news coverage before she said some transphobic things and then claimed she was "cancelled?" Me neither. There ain't no such thing as bad publicity.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Pussy-footing around with your youngster until its 10 years old is not going to make it stay sounder for longer. It needs to do some work.

Train until you're ready to compete - compete to test your training. Don't treat competition as training.

Put big enough studs in to prevent your horse slipping over and having a crashing fall.

Keep their legs naked as much as you can - boots on only for jumping solid obstacles and when wearing studs.

Oh, and, before you get a saddle fitter and an EDT and a physio and a chiro and a behaviourist and a black box analyst, maybe, just maybe, call the vet first.

ponynutz

Visit site
For sure. You think J.K. Rowling's Twitter feed was getting news coverage before she said some transphobic things and then claimed she was "cancelled?" Me neither. There ain't no such thing as bad publicity.

True, but her opportunitites to work will be diminished and she has less of a supportive following now. She'll overall lose money and support which is a good thing given her views.
Do think cancel culture has gone a bit far though like cancelling people over very minor things but in this occasion it works.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Is she? Sorry for the digression on this thread, but labeling unorthodox (and most of the posts in this thread are not even that) views as 'cancellable' annoys the hell out of me.

Last I heard, a new Harry Potter spin-off had just come out. Dave Chapelle might be in a few less film festivals, but he's still got 2 million Twitter followers and a Netflix show. I think famous people kvetching that they've been "cancelled" due to saying odious things are still doing alright. I doubt they've had to sell their Lamborghinis and move into studio apartments. Maybe they won't give as many commencement speeches at liberal arts universities, but the Murdoch media machine will happily give them a platform to whinge about it. And they reach even more people that way!!

Visit site
I do my horses at random times: they know to expect their dinner when they see my car...

The best routine is no routine. Mine can be fed as early as 4am for breakfast but always before 9am. Hay is not before 5pm, dinner not before 6pm but they could get this at any time uptil Midnight if I am away racing. This includes an exracer who so many people preach need to be kept in strict routines...

People with exracers explaining away their bad behaviour on being an exracer not the fact that they have overhorsed themselves and the horse is doing what the hell it likes because it hasn't been told what to do otherwise.

smolmaus

Visit site
Think this thread has derailed slightly ? How is saying horses are best in herd turnout a view that would get you cancelled?
Depends who you're speaking to. There is a big and VERY popular yard down the road from us that have a few hours individual or pairs turnout each day in the summer and none at all in winter so if I'm there, or speaking to someone who keeps a horse there the tongue needs to be firmly bitten.

Gallop_Away

Visit site
Think this thread has derailed slightly ? How is saying horses are best in herd turnout a view that would get you cancelled? I think most people would agree with that. And that a tap with the whip is better than kicking all the time...aren't these things that most people know to be true?

You would think re the turnout.....but its seems more common than ever for yards to either offer no turnout at all during winter, or individual turnout on a postage stamp of grass..

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Most horses most of the time can be fed, and then worked in most situations
Most leg protection is unnecessary
Many horses have horrible foot balance
Many horses are stiff, stilted and have little correct musculature.

skint1

Visit site
Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if these have been covered elsewhere, and also, these are just my own, humble opinions, I mean no offence. I know things are seldom black and white in life and especially in life with horses and everyone is doing their best with what they have.
If a horse has access to good turnout and equine company, I don't necessarily think it "needs" a job as much as people feel it needs a job.

Mrs B

Visit site
True, but her opportunitites to work will be diminished and she has less of a supportive following now. She'll overall lose money and support which is a good thing given her views.
Do think cancel culture has gone a bit far though like cancelling people over very minor things but in this occasion it works.

You mean her view that biological sex is immutable?
That's not transphobic, that's just fact.
Someone's gender identity can change as many times as they wish, but it will not change the fact of the sex they were born with.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
You mean her view that biological sex is immutable?
That's not transphobic, that's just fact.
Someone's gender identity can change as many times as they wish, but it will not change the fact of the sex they were born with.

How about people born with both sets of genitals?