1st weekend in June: Weekend plans

Michen

Visit site
I’m absolutely terrified. It’s Friday and I have 57 hours before I go XC and my stomach is already churning. I have no idea what to expect from Bog, he’s not competed in 2 years. He may be wild or may go really green or may just be normal.

urgh why do we do this to ourselves!?!

Cute pic though :)

769D89F4-DC73-411B-B539-01804C1EC1FA.jpeg

Roxylola

Visit site
I’m absolutely terrified. It’s Friday and I have 57 hours before I go XC and my stomach is already churning. I have no idea what to expect from Bog, he’s not competed in 2 years. He may be wild or may go really green or may just be normal.

urgh why do we do this to ourselves!?!

Cute pic though :)

View attachment 73013
Lovely picture. What's he been like training?
He's got plenty of miles under his belt to not suddenly change character - from what you've said he's been bold but not bonkers- I'd expect more of that in your shoes - as for why, beats me but if you find out let us all know.
Enjoy yourselves though - a good day out is always a win imo

Michen

Visit site
Lovely picture. What's he been like training?
He's got plenty of miles under his belt to not suddenly change character - from what you've said he's been bold but not bonkers- I'd expect more of that in your shoes - as for why, beats me but if you find out let us all know.
Enjoy yourselves though - a good day out is always a win imo

He’s been an angel at home and hot away from home. Xc schooling at camp the other day I actually didn’t bother jumping much, he’s always a nightmare to school in a group he gets nappy and silly and it seems to blow his brain. So he’s basically jumped 3/4 xc jumps in 2 years. And been round somerford ride.

I have a feeling the atmosphere may blow his mind and we might get a 40 plus dressage ?

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I'm taking the fat Spanish potato to a clinic on Monday. First outing for about 2 years due to covid etc. She might be a pleb but is good to start getting her out again.

Haven't had this instructor before either so that will also be interesting.

I've done 2, 10 minute sessions of teaching the baby Spanish the basics of lungeing which she seems to have picked up! She is a very clever bean.

racebuddy

Visit site

Breagha

Visit site
Not much happening this weekend. Husband is judging at a local show on Sunday, so will try fit some hacking for all of them at some point.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
My trainer's daughter gave Maddie a great confidence-boosting return to competition this morning after 8 months away due to lockdown/change of ownership etc.. The aim of today was all about keeping everything calm and relaxed, and Maddie played her part superbly, from arriving at a busy lorry park, throughout the warm-up and into the test itself (Novice 24). They achieved a super score of 70.2% which would have won the class across all sections if they hadn't been competing H/C. I'm also quite chuffed that I managed to remember how to plait after so long and was able to contain Maddie's flowing locks!! We have a fairly quiet weekend horse wise as we have friends coming over for a barbecue tomorrow. On Wednesday next week I have a test riding clinic. I seem to be running out of excuses in terms of me digging out the white breeches and navy jacket. I only hope they still fit. :rolleyes::p

Hope everyone has a great weekend whatever they are up to. :cool:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

racebuddy

Visit site
Went to view a horse today, first one I’ve actually tried this round of looking. And I don’t want to give too many details and jinx things but by some miracle might have found a (slightly unpolished) unicorn ???
Exciting ive just missed one ??? gorgeous irish ☘️ connie x from ireland

racebuddy

Visit site
When ur eventing and the flies are causing chaos ??? hoping they will settle

Attachments

• 1FBB8687-FC72-470A-B461-CFEB9B8A7774.jpeg
    1FBB8687-FC72-470A-B461-CFEB9B8A7774.jpeg
    28.3 KB · Views: 6
  • FF60F532-EE45-4CBF-AE99-C7AE1B355912.jpeg
    FF60F532-EE45-4CBF-AE99-C7AE1B355912.jpeg
    25.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 18A936D7-05EE-4833-8118-15C67E247612.jpeg
    18A936D7-05EE-4833-8118-15C67E247612.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 7EAE3A34-C035-432E-9ADA-051798B4E70A.jpeg
    7EAE3A34-C035-432E-9ADA-051798B4E70A.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 5

Bernster

Visit site
Slightly stressful start to the weekend! Bertie had his teeth done and was a good boy but did need a bit of work. Finnegan is needle phobic and as expected wasn’t at all pleased about having a sheath check (for melanoma) and clean - vet had to top up the sedative (tricky job, even when he was partially sedated), use a twitch, and hold his front leg up, and finnegan still nearly took the poor vet out a couple of times. Pretty sobering and made me appreciate vets even more. All done though, no surgery recommended yet but have ordered another course of the vaccine to try and slow it down.

ETA vet was not a contortionist! Yard manager was up front helping.

Last edited:

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Done and dusted already! Ran in the 2*S at Belsay. Wasn't especially competitive, but positives to take from each phase and he put in a clear xc round - albeit with some hairy bits. Some homework to do, but he's *such* a genuine horse - I'm very lucky to have him!

Attachments

• IMG_20210604_212953_187.jpg
    IMG_20210604_212953_187.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20210603_215941_865.jpg
    IMG_20210603_215941_865.jpg
    641.9 KB · Views: 35

Michen

Visit site
Done and dusted already! Ran in the 2*S at Belsay. Wasn't especially competitive, but positives to take from each phase and he put in a clear xc round - albeit with some hairy bits. Some homework to do, but he's *such* a genuine horse - I'm very lucky to have him!

That Sj photo is amazing!

palo1

Visit site
I am having a game of snakes and ladders with training lol!! This morning was all about canter transitions but M Alw was in tank mode so I feel like I have done 10 rounds with a heavyweight boxer. Much more work needed but some lightbulb moments thankfully. Generally feeling positive but I now remember why my ambitions stutter with young horses; there is just an awful lot of work needed to 'reach' a particular point. And it has to be sensibly thought about and even somewhat 'methodical' - those are values that are definately 'work related'!! We need the canter transitions and adaptability to be better to step up to bigger than the odd 70cms jumping and we need it too for decent work at prelim so currently feeling stuck at the bottom of the ladder again. Our canter is definately a bit one dimensional atm and transitions are a work in progress. This has risen to the surface though as trot is sooooo much improved; it is showing up the very basic canter in place. :( Having said that, this time last year I was just delighted to be hacking out so happily and to even have a canter that was not 'lumpy' or occasionally 'bronky'!! I am not wondering what I will get these days when I ask for the transition but of course now I am focussing on 'quality'... We are also happily settled with the current bit/bridle arrangement, saddle has been checked and re-flocked and M Alw's educational process continues...it just feels a bit as if we will be going about the basics forever. Which I suppose we might!

Tomorrow I will head out on to the mountain with one or other horse depending on my mood!!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I am having a game of snakes and ladders with training lol!! This morning was all about canter transitions but M Alw was in tank mode so I feel like I have done 10 rounds with a heavyweight boxer. Much more work needed but some lightbulb moments thankfully. Generally feeling positive but I now remember why my ambitions stutter with young horses; there is just an awful lot of work needed to 'reach' a particular point. And it has to be sensibly thought about and even somewhat 'methodical' - those are values that are definately 'work related'!! We need the canter transitions and adaptability to be better to step up to bigger than the odd 70cms jumping and we need it too for decent work at prelim so currently feeling stuck at the bottom of the ladder again. Our canter is definately a bit one dimensional atm and transitions are a work in progress. This has risen to the surface though as trot is sooooo much improved; it is showing up the very basic canter in place. :( Having said that, this time last year I was just delighted to be hacking out so happily and to even have a canter that was not 'lumpy' or occasionally 'bronky'!! I am not wondering what I will get these days when I ask for the transition but of course now I am focussing on 'quality'... We are also happily settled with the current bit/bridle arrangement, saddle has been checked and re-flocked and M Alw's educational process continues...it just feels a bit as if we will be going about the basics forever. Which I suppose we might!

Tomorrow I will head out on to the mountain with one or other horse depending on my mood!!
I think as soon as you get beyond the initial euphoric stage of the young horse vaguely delivering what was asked without mishap, and into "quality territory", it all becomes mentally harder for the rider. And yes you probably will be going on about basics forever... anyone who is into training their horses properly always will be, it's the curse :p my FB training diaries have been dominated by balance on right turns and staying forward this week, horse is prepping for inter 1 but you couldn't get much more basic, in terms of the stuff we need to improve :p

Enjoy the mountain :)

palo1

Visit site
I think as soon as you get beyond the initial euphoric stage of the young horse vaguely delivering what was asked without mishap, and into "quality territory", it all becomes mentally harder for the rider. And yes you probably will be going on about basics forever... anyone who is into training their horses properly always will be, it's the curse :p my FB training diaries have been dominated by balance on right turns and staying forward this week, horse is prepping for inter 1 but you couldn't get much more basic, in terms of the stuff we need to improve :p

Enjoy the mountain :)

Aaaaaaarrrrrrghhhhhhhhh!! :D:eek:o_O:) Yes, I have boxed myself in a bit here though as wanting to bring out the very best I can with this horse. To be honest, other horses have probably had 'better' paces objectively speaking but also less motivation in training from me as I have been diverted by/interested in other activities with them. Poor Alw!! Today I felt as if a prelim test is an awfully long way off - last week I thought that would be a bit easier. But actually that doesn't matter as truly the training is the important bit and I don't mind how long it takes us to get wherever we can go, even if that is just a respectable test at prelim. That will still be a bigger achievement than not training and not doing it at all! :) :) Dreams of Novice are currently unimaginable...lol

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Often I find the act of test riding even when it's a bit of a stretch, does drag you both along a bit further up a ladder. An enforced upping of your game and making stuff happen. Also sometimes you find one big thing that makes others fall into place. Keep the faith ?

ihatework

Visit site
As a generally unemotional person, I think my heart nearly exploded with pride with my first homebreds BE debut. I couldn’t have asked any more from him. He behaved in the dressage, showjumped well with just an unfortunate pole, and was confident and genuine on the XC.

It’s like he has been on this planet before.

palo1

Visit site
As a generally unemotional person, I think my heart nearly exploded with pride with my first homebreds BE debut. I couldn’t have asked any more from him. He behaved in the dressage, showjumped well with just an unfortunate pole, and was confident and genuine on the XC.

It’s like he has been on this planet before.

Fantastic - congratulations to the team! :)

Reactions: TPO

daffy44

Visit site
IHW, he is gorgeous! What an amazing debut, huge congratulations to everyone involved with him, what an exciting future for you all.

Palo, everyone feels like that with youngsters, dont worry, and yes, you will be working on the basics for as long as you are working the horse, its the majority of what I do with my GP horse. The good thing about the stage you are currently in is that it passes quite quickly, it will feel like its lasting forever, but when you look back in a months time you'll see how much as changed, just keep going, and dont stress, it'll be fine.

Michen

Visit site
Trying to decide whether to withdraw from Ascott tomorrow. Find it so frustrating reading the ground report which stated the ground was good- firm and firmer than April because (in their words) in April they aerated and for this event they haven’t done so at all.

I appreciate I’m fussier than anyone Re ground but why would they not treat the ground for this event as they did for the last? It’s so frustrating when paying expensive affiliates entries in the hope that you have the chance of the best ground possible. So annoying when they’ve done literally nothing. I know the weather can’t be helped but if they had simply done something to it I’m sure it would have been better, as per their earlier event. Oh well.

Urgh.

palo1

Visit site
IHW, he is gorgeous! What an amazing debut, huge congratulations to everyone involved with him, what an exciting future for you all.

Palo, everyone feels like that with youngsters, dont worry, and yes, you will be working on the basics for as long as you are working the horse, its the majority of what I do with my GP horse. The good thing about the stage you are currently in is that it passes quite quickly, it will feel like its lasting forever, but when you look back in a months time you'll see how much as changed, just keep going, and dont stress, it'll be fine.

That is very kind thank you :) We are committed to focussing on those canter transitions and the canter itself and my dear son even rolled the flat bit of the field for me so that I can do some suppling work in the week. No coaching for a couple of weeks so I have space to do a bit of homework. It's good to have a plan anyway...:) :)

DirectorFury

Visit site
He’s lovely IHW!

We jumped again today, finished up with an 80cm vertical and I didn’t feel like I was about to die which is a big improvement from last week. YO was helping with poles and agrees that I’m doing weird things on take off (curling into the foetal position, jumping up her neck etc) so that’s next on the list to deal with! M was a very good egg and not rushing into fences which is huge improvement, and she also settled quickly back into ‘work’ mode. I’m very pleased!