2023 Foals

blitznbobs

Visit site
I have a welshtastic bun in the oven ??
As Kira is off games perhaps permanently I thought it was literally now or never. The vet was willing but skeptical at her age as a maiden but she took first time so that's a promising start and they're very happy with her. Hoping the rest of it goes this smoothly ? she went to Corscaron Comet Aur who is a rather lovely sporty palomino welsh d.

OH said I wasn't allowed to buy another Welsh so this is how I'm slipping a new one into the herd ?

Toyed with doing Salty as well but in the interests of not going crazy with the logistics I'll put that off another year ;)

Im planning on putting one of my kwpn mares in foal to a welshy this year- shes a bit on the little side so putting her in foal to something smaller for her first foal and hoping for a super pony -

Good luck with your baby

Lyle

Visit site
Well, I may have photos to add to this thread in a couple of weeks. One of our mares is due late Jan. Although I'm in a different hemisphere, so its actually a lateish foal for our season, but it suits our property and lifestyle to foal down later in the season. We've had 2 lovely successful foals this season so far, and a very sad and unfortunate 9 month abortion :( that lovely mare also developed septic metritis and acute laminitis. It was a battle to save her initially, with 2 hourly ice changes to all 4 feet, which we did for 5 days, and twice a day vet visits. Shes got a long road to recovery, but should recover. The 2 successful foals were by our gorgeous 3yo colt, who we lost to colitis in mid 2022. Its bittersweet, so lucky to have 2 gorgeous babies of his, but it hurts too because he's produced absolute crackers, like I knew he would. Fingers crossed for a smooth delivery this time, and then we start covering for next season!

HappyHackerK8

Visit site
Well, I may have photos to add to this thread in a couple of weeks. One of our mares is due late Jan. Although I'm in a different hemisphere, so its actually a lateish foal for our season, but it suits our property and lifestyle to foal down later in the season. We've had 2 lovely successful foals this season so far, and a very sad and unfortunate 9 month abortion :( that lovely mare also developed septic metritis and acute laminitis. It was a battle to save her initially, with 2 hourly ice changes to all 4 feet, which we did for 5 days, and twice a day vet visits. Shes got a long road to recovery, but should recover. The 2 successful foals were by our gorgeous 3yo colt, who we lost to colitis in mid 2022. Its bittersweet, so lucky to have 2 gorgeous babies of his, but it hurts too because he's produced absolute crackers, like I knew he would. Fingers crossed for a smooth delivery this time, and then we start covering for next season!
Good luck, here’s to 2023 being a happier year!!! Bank in the sleep now while you have a couple of weeks before foal watch ? looking forward to the updates

HappyHackerK8

Visit site
Going to start thinking about putting a foaling kit together. What’s necessary, what’s not…any little golden nuggets? Vets have one I can buy but I’m guessing it will have an inflated price tag and much I won’t need ?

HappyHackerK8

Visit site
Any signs yet? ?

Lyle

Visit site
Any signs yet? ?
She's very fat, udder filling and getting soft around the tail head. She's in the foaling yard with the alarm on, last year as a maiden she foaled with basically 0 signs (She ate 2 biscuits of lucerne hay about an hour before she had her foal, food is lyfe ?) so I really don't trust her to do the big build up!
Trying to upload a photo, but H&H is being difficult!

Lyle

Visit site
Going to start thinking about putting a foaling kit together. What’s necessary, what’s not…any little golden nuggets? Vets have one I can buy but I’m guessing it will have an inflated price tag and much I won’t need ?
I have mine in a big plastic tub with lid. It's got head torches x2, and a big rechargeable magnetic light that is super dooper bright (mine foal outside). Towels x2, plastic bin bags (for placenta) rubber gloves, thermometer, enema for the foal if not passing poo, iodine in a spray bottle (dunking a foals navel in a jar is an option, but can be harder to do with the shy ones). SHARP scissors and short knife (in case of red bag delivery) Lead rope, bag of licorice (for the mare, not me!). A 2L milk/sauce bottle with a handle, filled up to 1L (so 1kg) in weight, and zip ties. This was a hint from a vet when a mare was slow to pass her placenta, vet advised to attach a 1kg weight to help move things along. Good to have handy, as if you're not at home these sorts of things can be hard to lay hands on, especially if it's 3am! I've also got oxytocin in the fridge with the relevant syringe and needle combos, but this is not absolutely necessary. I also have an old feed bag handy that has been cut open to make it bigger so I can lay the placenta on it to check, so it doesnt get covered in dirt/leaves/grass. And Lastly, a list of every local vet clinic with both work hour and after hour phone numbers. No way I could google for numbers with shakey hands at 2am! I also printed off 2 checklists, one for the labour and one for the foal milestones. The labour has notes next to it, like if not progressing after this many minutes call vet etc. The foal milestones are the same, its a lot of information to keep track of, I like to be able to check and tick off. Also, use a timer (I use my phone) and I write on the back of the laminated check lists everything, like time labour started, ended, what time the mare stood, when the foal started making attempts to stand etc. I also feel the more info you can offer a vet if you need to, the better! I think that's about everything!
I keep my night clothes by the back door, so if I get up to the alarm and check, I can easily dress and get outside. It's also not a bad idea to have a human 'go bag' with drinks/snacks, as it can be a long wait before the foal is up and suckling, waiting to pass the merconium etc. It's honestly the most exciting thing ever ?

HappyHackerK8

Visit site
I have mine in a big plastic tub with lid. It's got head torches x2, and a big rechargeable magnetic light that is super dooper bright (mine foal outside). Towels x2, plastic bin bags (for placenta) rubber gloves, thermometer, enema for the foal if not passing poo, iodine in a spray bottle (dunking a foals navel in a jar is an option, but can be harder to do with the shy ones). SHARP scissors and short knife (in case of red bag delivery) Lead rope, bag of licorice (for the mare, not me!). A 2L milk/sauce bottle with a handle, filled up to 1L (so 1kg) in weight, and zip ties. This was a hint from a vet when a mare was slow to pass her placenta, vet advised to attach a 1kg weight to help move things along. Good to have handy, as if you're not at home these sorts of things can be hard to lay hands on, especially if it's 3am! I've also got oxytocin in the fridge with the relevant syringe and needle combos, but this is not absolutely necessary. I also have an old feed bag handy that has been cut open to make it bigger so I can lay the placenta on it to check, so it doesnt get covered in dirt/leaves/grass. And Lastly, a list of every local vet clinic with both work hour and after hour phone numbers. No way I could google for numbers with shakey hands at 2am! I also printed off 2 checklists, one for the labour and one for the foal milestones. The labour has notes next to it, like if not progressing after this many minutes call vet etc. The foal milestones are the same, its a lot of information to keep track of, I like to be able to check and tick off. Also, use a timer (I use my phone) and I write on the back of the laminated check lists everything, like time labour started, ended, what time the mare stood, when the foal started making attempts to stand etc. I also feel the more info you can offer a vet if you need to, the better! I think that's about everything!
I keep my night clothes by the back door, so if I get up to the alarm and check, I can easily dress and get outside. It's also not a bad idea to have a human 'go bag' with drinks/snacks, as it can be a long wait before the foal is up and suckling, waiting to pass the merconium etc. It's honestly the most exciting thing ever ?
This is fab!! Lots a didn’t think about! I like your thinking, I’ve already written out check lists on my phone but laminating them is a fab idea! Watching foaling videos on YouTube I already realise that 2m can feel like two hours so will help me keep busy and not panic unless I need too!! I have watched the Twemlows pod casts a couple of times and my vet is brilliant. We have had 3 foals here but non of them our own so it’s exciting and nerve wracking in equal measures ? if you think of any other top tips let me know!!! I’m sure I’ll be posting “do you think she is ready” posts nearer the time! Xx

Lyle

Visit site
This is fab!! Lots a didn’t think about! I like your thinking, I’ve already written out check lists on my phone but laminating them is a fab idea! Watching foaling videos on YouTube I already realise that 2m can feel like two hours so will help me keep busy and not panic unless I need too!! I have watched the Twemlows pod casts a couple of times and my vet is brilliant. We have had 3 foals here but non of them our own so it’s exciting and nerve wracking in equal measures ? if you think of any other top tips let me know!!! I’m sure I’ll be posting “do you think she is ready” posts nearer the time! Xx
Glad I could help! I'm by no means very experienced at all, I'm sure there will be plenty of great advice from others!
I definitely like to be organized, it really helps take the stress out of it all. Keep us posted!

HappyHackerK8

Visit site
Glad I could help! I'm by no means very experienced at all, I'm sure there will be plenty of great advice from others!
I definitely like to be organized, it really helps take the stress out of it all. Keep us posted!
I’m a little way off yet - just trying to make sure I’m all sorted well in time so I am prepared as I can be! Don’t suppose you could post a pic of your timing sheets on here - if it will let you upload x

Lyle

Visit site
Well, we have a foal 😁 chestnut colt born at 11.30pm last night. Everything went smoothly, with milestones being met as they should. I was out of the house within 3 minutes of the alarm going off, and by the time I got to the foaling yard (literally meters away!) the foal was born. This mare doesn't mess around! It's a beautiful sunny day, I'll get some photos uploaded soon. The vet will be coming out later to complete an IgG. That's us done now, except for 3 mares needing scanning to confirm pregnancy for next season.

HappyHackerK8

Visit site
Well, we have a foal 😁 chestnut colt born at 11.30pm last night. Everything went smoothly, with milestones being met as they should. I was out of the house within 3 minutes of the alarm going off, and by the time I got to the foaling yard (literally meters away!) the foal was born. This mare doesn't mess around! It's a beautiful sunny day, I'll get some photos uploaded soon. The vet will be coming out later to complete an IgG. That's us done now, except for 3 mares needing scanning to confirm pregnancy for next season.
Fantastic! Photos soon please 😍 this must be the first foal of 2023 on the thread 👏👏👏

Lyle

Visit site
Argh, for some reason I can't load a photo from my phone! Yes, he's probably the first foal on this thread for 2023, but I guess I've been cheeky, as he's part of the southern hemisphere 2022/2023 season :D It suits our property to wait until the summer to foal.

HappyHackerK8

Visit site
Argh, for some reason I can't load a photo from my phone! Yes, he's probably the first foal on this thread for 2023, but I guess I've been cheeky, as he's part of the southern hemisphere 2022/2023 season :D It suits our property to wait until the summer to foal.
Why is it so hard to post pics on H&H