2023 Foals

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have a welshtastic bun in the oven ??
As Kira is off games perhaps permanently I thought it was literally now or never. The vet was willing but skeptical at her age as a maiden but she took first time so that's a promising start and they're very happy with her. Hoping the rest of it goes this smoothly ? she went to Corscaron Comet Aur who is a rather lovely sporty palomino welsh d.

OH said I wasn't allowed to buy another Welsh so this is how I'm slipping a new one into the herd ?

Toyed with doing Salty as well but in the interests of not going crazy with the logistics I'll put that off another year ;)

Squeak

Visit site
As Kira is off games perhaps permanently I thought it was literally now or never. The vet was willing but skeptical at her age as a maiden but she took first time so that's a promising start and they're very happy with her. Hoping the rest of it goes this smoothly ? she went to Corscaron Comet Aur who is a rather lovely sporty palomino welsh d.

OH said I wasn't allowed to buy another Welsh so this is how I'm slipping a new one into the herd ?

Toyed with doing Salty as well but in the interests of not going crazy with the logistics I'll put that off another year ;)

Just looked up the sire and he looks rather gorgeous! Can't wait to see the resulting foal.

Four Seasons

Visit site
My Frederiksborg mare is in foal to Cassanova du Bois. She's due end of March 2023. Very pleased with this years foal, so I've repeated it. Keeping this years foal, but next years will be sold.

Already thinking of 2024 stallion. Thinking of going KWPN. It's a shame really, as there's only 1 purebred Frederiksborg in the Netherlands available. I've used him once, nice foal, but not that much of a fan of the stallion.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
My Frederiksborg mare is in foal to Cassanova du Bois. She's due end of March 2023. Very pleased with this years foal, so I've repeated it. Keeping this years foal, but next years will be sold.

Already thinking of 2024 stallion. Thinking of going KWPN. It's a shame really, as there's only 1 purebred Frederiksborg in the Netherlands available. I've used him once, nice foal, but not that much of a fan of the stallion.

How lovely - I would love a Frederiksborger, or even a cross. They are such beautiful animals.

daisy_rosie_eq

New User
Visit site

I absolutely adore welshies. I have two Welsh section a mares who have just gone to be put in foal, a Welsh part bred homebred foal from last year and a section c. Can't wait to hear about the comet foal, I follow his Instagram and absolutely adore him, having a foal from him is on my horsey bucket list

Bikerchickone

Visit site
I have a full Irish Draught mare that I’m trying to get in foal to Avanti Amorous Archie there’s a thread about my newbie breeding attempt in the forum so I won’t regurgitate all of that. Safe to say I think we failed at attempt one, but waiting to scan to make sure before trying again. Fingers crossed for a June 2023 foal! I’m praying for a colt but anything Archie bred is gorgeous so a filly would just mean doing it again! Good luck all! Some lovely horses to come!

Marigold4

Visit site
My Royaldik x Primitive Proposal (but only 15 hh) mare has just scanned in foal to connemara Killour Star. Finally took the plunge after 3 years of dithering and "what if"s. Scanned today and blob clearly visible - no sign of a twin, thankfully. Excited but a little scared! She's had two foals before and has been a great mum.

Marigold4

Visit site
What are you feeding your mares at this early stage please? My mare is out at grass 18 hours a day. We have lots of grass but I strip- graze to keep weight down. They have access to about 2 acres of bare grazing and then supplemented with a little new grass per day via strip-grazing. Stabled during for 6 hours during the day and fed good quality meadow haylage plus a half scoop of Thunderbrooks meadow chaff and a double handul of Thunderbrooks meadow nuts plus salt. Body score moderate. Vet says she needs extra minerals and vitamins but mare refuses to eat added powder. What do you think - does she need anything else? If so, what should I feed? Stud farm I worked at in 80s didn't feed extra till last month or so, but I maybe out of date.

stangs

Visit site
What are you feeding your mares at this early stage please? My mare is out at grass 18 hours a day. We have lots of grass but I strip- graze to keep weight down. They have access to about 2 acres of bare grazing and then supplemented with a little new grass per day via strip-grazing. Stabled during for 6 hours during the day and fed good quality meadow haylage plus a half scoop of Thunderbrooks meadow chaff and a double handul of Thunderbrooks meadow nuts plus salt. Body score moderate. Vet says she needs extra minerals and vitamins but mare refuses to eat added powder. What do you think - does she need anything else? If so, what should I feed? Stud farm I worked at in 80s didn't feed extra till last month or so, but I maybe out of date.
A KER webinar I attended not too long ago advised that it’s only in the second half of the pregnancy that you need to increase minerals (copper, zinc, selenium) for the foal’s stores.

If vet’s worried she’s currently deficient/unbalanced, a herb mix would be my thought.

Marigold4

Visit site
A KER webinar I attended not too long ago advised that it’s only in the second half of the pregnancy that you need to increase minerals (copper, zinc, selenium) for the foal’s stores.

If vet’s worried she’s currently deficient/unbalanced, a herb mix would be my thought.

Thanks for replying. I think it was just a blanket "mares in first trimester need supplementing" rather than a concern about this particular mare.

TheMule

Visit site

I feed a mineral powder which is high in copper as that’s what my land lacks- I use the Pro-Mineral, they all eat it really well

ihatework

Visit site
All our youngstock herd get baileys stud balancer and at the moment grass. Probably only get half recommended ration of balancer. Mare in foal won’t get anything else until final trimester

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site

I am going to go against the grain and say yes your mare needs a supplement. Though you give her fresh grass everyday she still has restricted grazing to a certain extent. I would give up the meadow nuts and feed a balancer. When I ran a tb stud the ones that ran to fat had Suregrow( Dodson and Horrell). It, apparently, used to be almost identical to Blue Chip but at half the price. Grazing is not what it use to be and doesn’t provide a balance of vitamins and minerals for the average horse let alone one in foal. I agree she doesn’t need a lot of feed now, the last trimester is when you need to increase it. If you don’t want to feed a balancer a lot of supplements can be bought in a trial size, hopefully you could then find one she eats.

m1stify

Visit site

just looked at the stallions intagram - omg what a beauty!!

Marigold4

Visit site
I am going to go against the grain and say yes your mare needs a supplement. Though you give her fresh grass everyday she still has restricted grazing to a certain extent. I would give up the meadow nuts and feed a balancer. When I ran a tb stud the ones that ran to fat had Suregrow( Dodson and Horrell). It, apparently, used to be almost identical to Blue Chip but at half the price. Grazing is not what it use to be and doesn’t provide a balance of vitamins and minerals for the average horse let alone one in foal. I agree she doesn’t need a lot of feed now, the last trimester is when you need to increase it. If you don’t want to feed a balancer a lot of supplements can be bought in a trial size, hopefully you could then find one she eats.

Thanks for the advice, Blanche. I have put her on TopSpec stud balancer. This was the only one feedshop stocked.

smiggy

Visit site
Mine had second scan today and there a proper baby in there with little teeth and everything ?
she had a lovely foal a year ago but I’m a bit worried he is going to be bigger than I need really. She’s 14.2 arab Welsh, went to a 14.2 Welsh d but foal is currently at least 13.2 !
this year she went to a lovely cremello section b that’s 13.2 so taking no chances !
there were some lovely stallions i looked at with AI but she is so easy to cover naturally it seemed a big risk . She’s palomino so foal will def be cremello or palomino .

Bikerchickone

Visit site
@Asha - can't wait to see your Pip foal, she's such a beauty!

We're making our last attempt for this year tomorrow. Fingers crossed we get a result this time. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to try again this year or the foal will be born very late in the season leaving my poor girl heavily in foal in the heat next year. Send positive vibes here please!

juli

New User
Visit site
Had a heartbeat scan last week and all were perfect. Expecting a Blue Hors St. Schufro x Contender foal late may next year! Crossing my fingers for a nice and healthy foal :)

Asha

Visit site
@Asha - can't wait to see your Pip foal, she's such a beauty!

We're making our last attempt for this year tomorrow. Fingers crossed we get a result this time. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to try again this year or the foal will be born very late in the season leaving my poor girl heavily in foal in the heat next year. Send positive vibes here please!

Thank you xx.

Thats great news that she is nearly ready, come on Trio .. lets get this done. Fingers and everything crossed.. even my eyes :D