A very, very hard post to write.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
I am so, so sorry to hear this - you have had the most rotten luck. I hope you can take some comfort in that he was in no pain and that you did everything you could for him.

Annagain

Visit site
Oh Michen, what a horrible few years you've had. Basil was so lucky to have had someone who tried so hard to save him. There are no words that will make you feel better but know that we're all here for you and so sad that you've lost him just as youwere getting going. Remember those good times - those XC rounds that made you so happy. I hope writing it all down helped.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Thank you everyone. Still in shock but I did just manage to speak to his vet properly since last night. She said the stress fracture would only have been diagnosable by bone scan and even then they had an ex racer last week that scanned clean but the fracture gave way. That the immediate treatment would have been to be cross tied in a box for two months (he would never have coped with being cross tied) and that the likelihood is that as he was sound I would have bought him back into work and that the leg would have given way mid gallop or something horrendous. He was immediately re anesthetised when it broke, whilst they assessed and called me so j take a little comfort in knowing he was not in any pain whilst they had to make the call. Xxx

It won't be any easier for you now, but then in time you will be able to take some tiny comfort from knowing he was spared that. You've been through something horrible, but he won't have known any of this.

Asha

Visit site
So very sorry for you Michen, there are no words that can help I'm sure. But do take comfort in that you did everything possible for your gorgeous boy x

skint1

Visit site
Oh Michen, I can't tell you how sorry I am to read your post, Basil was such a gift to you after all that you went through with Torres. Take care of yourself, RIP Basil x

BlackVelvet

Visit site
I am so sorry to read this post, I read your post the other day regarding his kick and it all sounded so positive.

Horses are so delicate sometimes and they go so quickly :(

My thoughts are with you at this really sad time xx

Janovich

Visit site
I read this post and couldn't not respond. My thoughts and hugs for as long as you need them are with you now.
As all the other posters have said, that utterly bloody heartbraking outcome post surgery was such a tragic blow, my heart goes out to you Michen.... love to you.

Words of comfort are so hard to type in these very very sad circumstances. I too would have gone for the surgery option if i'd have been in your shoes...what happened after the surgery was sooo hard to read... I'm so so sorry Michen..xx

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I am so gutted for your both Michen, I always felt like I knew basil despite having never met either of you properly. Neither of you deserved that. Take heart in the amazing time he has had with you as his owner reiterated to you the other week compared to what he would have been doing at 'home', he's had an absolute ball.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Am so so so sorry for you, just awful you poor poor thing. You tried your very best for him and Torres and both boys were very lucky to have you. Big hugs, wish there was something I could say or do to help xxxxx

SEL

Visit site
That's awful - I feel so, so sorry for you. If you hadn't tried the colic surgery then I think you would always have wondered and the leg going is just terrible bad luck. Remember the horse had a wonderful life with you and try to focus on the good times. Thoughts with you, and as many virtual hugs as I can give right now xxxxx

swilliam

Visit site
I'm so very sorry to read this. You obviously had such fun together, and I'm sure he loved it as much as you did. He couldn't have had a better time or better ownerxx

crabbymare

Visit site
I am so very sorry :( you did all you could for him and although it will be no help to you right now. in a way it is better that if his leg was going to give way it did so when he was being monitored and was able to be anaesthatised immediately rather than when you were riding or when he was in the field or stable with nobody immediately there to help him. you did all you could for him :(

Mariposa

Visit site
I am so so sorry for your loss. You did all your could for him, what a lucky horse to be so loved and so cherished, RIP to your boy. xx

Mrs B

Visit site
Oh no!! I'm so sorry to read that, Michen ... just awful for you. Run with Torres, gorgeous Basil. Lucky, lucky boys to have you as an owner, who did everything she could.

Thinking of you x

cblover

Visit site
RIP beautiful Basil. Life is so unfair sometimes but please take care. Don't be too hard on yourself...you sound like a wonderful owner who did her best. In time you will have the best memories to look back on and you'll feel happy to do so. x

Michen

Visit site
I am so very sorry :( you did all you could for him and although it will be no help to you right now. in a way it is better that if his leg was going to give way it did so when he was being monitored and was able to be anaesthatised immediately rather than when you were riding or when he was in the field or stable with nobody immediately there to help him. you did all you could for him :(

I completely agree. If he hadn't have coliced I would have bought him back into work and it could have gone at any point. This is hard enough but if it had broken from under me I never would have recovered from seeing that. X