Aaaarrrgghhhh - Pedigree dogs programme....

Acolyte

Visit site
Why on earth dont they have the poor cavalier put down if it is suffering that much
mad.gif
mad.gif

sade1986

Visit site
I thought exactly the same thing but thought it may have just been me. If an animal is suffering why let it go on like that.

sade1986

Visit site
A friend of mine went to the discover dogs event and overheard someone speaking about how cute certain breeds of dogs were. She said she just wanted to go up and say about all the health problems they have because we had looked at the KC standards and breeding at college. I don't think i would ever buy a pedigree dog, especially not one that was KC registered.

Acolyte

Visit site
There are loads of reputable breeders who produce dogs who are free from genetic health problems...... god knows what the Kennel Club thinks it is doing mind you
crazy.gif

Acolyte

Visit site
LOL at the RSPCA vet slagging off comparing a dog to a prescribed standard, not taking into account temperament etc...

I take it the RSPCA dont support dressage either then
tongue.gif

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think i would ever buy a pedigree dog, especially not one that was KC registered.

[/ QUOTE ]

But crossbreeds come from the pedigree dogs, and can have just the same problems.
confused.gif

I can guarantee that the breeder of our IWS put a hell of a lot more time and effort into breeding her dogs than someone who accidently allows their mutt to get knocked up in the park, or some idiot who thinks lets make a "new" dog out of two breeds, give it some adorable name and charge a grand a puppy.
At least with a pedigree you know what your getting, possible problems and all.

sade1986

Visit site
Ok the breeder woman talking about breeding the rhodesian ridgebacks (sp) and culling those without the ridge in the back has made me really angry.

hellsdarkrose

Visit site
The chief vet was annoying me so I had to turn the programme off.

I agree that the Cavvie they showed should have been put down and that not all pedigree dogs are that bad.

kanter

Visit site
My last dog looked a lot like one of those wolves! Lived to 16 with no vet problems till his back end went. There's a lot to be said for hybrid vigour. Mind you he had a wolf's temperament too and I'd been planning his replacement since he was 8!

Sooty

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ok the breeder woman talking about breeding the rhodesian ridgebacks (sp) and culling those without the ridge in the back has made me really angry.

[/ QUOTE ]
Evil evil old witch! I am absolutely livid. She was protecting her own income by killing puppies rather than selling them to pet homes without a pedigree. I am so angry. As if breeding deformed dogs to fit in with some manmade standard isn't bad enough!

jacks_mum

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
lets make a "new" dog out of two breeds, give it some adorable name and charge a grand a puppy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe, you mean like my Yorkylier
tongue.gif
Dandy is a CKCS cross Yorky but he wasn't that expensive and I made up the name after I got him for a bit of fun!

Sooty

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Aarrrggh - white boxers are culled because they are DEAF
mad.gif
mad.gif
not because they are the wrong bloody colour
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And the reason they are deaf if because of the breeding. It also applies to Dalmatians, and is an inherent fault of manmade designs of dogs.

kanter

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Evil evil old witch! I am absolutely livid. She was protecting her own income by killing puppies rather than selling them to pet homes without a pedigree. I am so angry. As if breeding deformed dogs to fit in with some manmade standard isn't bad enough!

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. That said I can see why reputable breeders might be upset by this program too. I don't know enough about dog breeding to know what the answer is. Sadly, it's probably a case of supply and demand....

sade1986

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
But crossbreeds come from the pedigree dogs, and can have just the same problems.
confused.gif

I can guarantee that the breeder of our IWS put a hell of a lot more time and effort into breeding her dogs than someone who accidently allows their mutt to get knocked up in the park, or some idiot who thinks lets make a "new" dog out of two breeds, give it some adorable name and charge a grand a puppy. At least with a pedigree you know what your getting, possible problems and all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand that all dogs can have problems but seem to find many of the breed standards a bit extreme. And in many cases the health problems are related to the dogs physical appearance. I think hybrid vigour is always a good thing, getting the best of both breeds in the case of crossbreed dogs. There will always be health problems that cannot be foreseen in any animal, but feel that 'mongrels' have fewer problems in my experience. I understand that reputable breeders carry out relevant health checks etc before breeding but feel that breeding to the standards causes a number of health issues (Just my opinion on the issue though).

MooMoo

Visit site
Still doesnt make it right.

I hate these snotty idiots who only care about the outer asthetics of the dogs rather than the health of them. I am so angry right now. Watching the spaniel squealing on the floor made me cry.

And one of them was put down, the other had an operation but died a couple of days later.

I know there are good breeders too and i dont want to offend them at all.

welshchick

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Aarrrggh - white boxers are culled because they are DEAF
mad.gif
mad.gif
not because they are the wrong bloody colour
mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's unbelievable! I have met a few deaf dogs and they're all wonderful.

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]

Hehe, you mean like my Yorkylier
tongue.gif
Dandy is a CKCS cross Yorky but he wasn't that expensive and I made up the name after I got him for a bit of fun!

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif
I've got nothing against crossbreeds/mongrels it's the idiots that breed them willynilly (I love that word
grin.gif
) and charge the king's ransome for them!!
It's mainly Labradoodles that do my head in! And now they're not as "fashionable" and no longer selling for £700, they've started filling up rescue centres!

Acolyte

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why on earth was she protecting her income by doing that? She is a dog breeder/shower - her aim is to replicate the breed standard as closely as she can - in her opinion Rhodesian Ridgebacks without ridges do not do that, so they need to be discarded. Protecting income has nothing to do with it.

I am not saying this is the correct approach, but it IS how dog showing/breeding people think

muffinino

Visit site
I thought the same about the spaniels and the boxer - for the sake the animals, maybe the RSPCA vet should have a word with their owners about putting them to prevent suffering!
smirk.gif

I remember the GSD from Crufts and thought how awful they looked, I honestly thought there was something wrong with them. Please tell me that's not what all GSD show dogs look like.
shocked.gif

And I said in Amy May's thread that I was shocked by allowing mother/son, brother/sister, grandparent/grandchild breeding and I still am. That the Kennel Club allows it really is shocking. I am not a breeder but surely that can't be right?!

Sooty

Visit site
I bet they were docked, too.
frown.gif
My vet had a deaf white boxer which he had refused to pts as a puppy; he had it for 12 years. We are obviously not going to agree about this, but I have long said how concerned I am about the KC breed standards and the strict limitations they put on some breeds.

Sooty

Visit site
She was protecting her business and reputation as a breeder by choosing to kill healthy puppies rather than giving them away to pet homes. The KC says they must have a ridge, so she says they must die if they don't have one. I think that is shocking, and indefensible.