Aaaarrrgghhhh - Pedigree dogs programme....

littlemisslauren

Visit site
my mum got really upset at the bit about the ridgeless puppies (we have a rhodesian ridgeback)

both our dogs are pedigree and KC regestered (we also have a boder terrier - hes my baby) and have never had health probems with either of them.

i accept that there will be problems out there with some pedigree dogs but health problems occur to all dogs.

Acolyte

Visit site
Yep they were docked, because this was thirty years ago when it was perfectly legal to do so. And I agree that we are not going to agree on this issue, because I am an advocate of docking.

I dont actually understand the difference between breeding dogs for the show ring, and discarding those who dont make the grade, and the breeding greyhounds/thoroughbred horses for the race track and discarding those who are not fast enough?

QUICKFIRE

Visit site
Not all white Boxers are deaf, I had the most wonderfull white boxer who had a pedigree as long as your arm, but because she was white was not recognised by the KC, she bred a healthy litter of pups (10) of which 3 were white and all went to loving homes. The KC are a load of baffoons. 2 years gone and still terrably missed RIP my dear dear crystal.

MooMoo

Visit site
Yes there will but when the problems are actively being bred into them then that's a different thing isnt it? There's no excuse, there's so much veterinary science nowadays.

jacks_mum

Visit site
I was shocked to find that if Dandy was pure CKCS then he would not be allowed in a 'proper' show ring because he has an area of non-pigmented flesh on his nose. That's just ridiculous to my mind

etided to correct typo

kirstyhen

mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk
Breed standards aren't actually the point, it's people that overbreed to them, and then the judges that place the overbred dogs over the well formed dogs, exactly the same as obese show horses.
The mongrels that I've come across have had more health problems than you can shake a stick at. People never seem to understand that you are never going to get the best of both breeds 100% of the time, what happens to all the mongrels that have the worst of both breeds?

Acolyte

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I was shocked to find that if Dandy was pure CKCS then he would be allowed in a 'proper' show ring because he has an area of non-pigmented flesh on his nose. That's just ridiculous to my mind

[/ QUOTE ]

Noooo, you would just colour it in with Indian ink and no-one would be any the wiser
tongue.gif

kanter

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I dont actually understand the difference between breeding dogs for the show ring, and discarding those who dont make the grade, and the breeding greyhounds/thoroughbred horses for the race track and discarding those who are not fast enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

They are not normally culled though?

Sooty

Visit site
There is no difference, so don't get me started on the racing industry! Apart from the fact that speed is not down to a human's whim; it is a fact. Animals which are bred for speed have to be fast. A ridgeless Rhodesian is a healthy animal, possibly healthier then one with a ridge, but just doesn't 'look right'.

I have spoken at length about the practice or removing the end of a dog's spine for cosmetic purposes, so will say no more. Apart from the fact that my Boxer cross uses hers as dogs were intended to; to balance and for expression.

MooMoo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They dont have to kill them though, again it doesnt make it right. I agree with your point about docking though, i used to be against it but then i met someone with a working springer with not enough docked, whenever she caught it , it would spout blood everywhere.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
This programme has really depressed me. My OH and I have been thinking about getting a couple of dogs when/if we ever manage to move.
Now, though, I would be too worried about illness to buy a pedigree.
frown.gif

My cat lived to nearly 20yrs, and she was a moggie, perhaps mongrels would be healthier....
S
grin.gif

Cop-Pop

Visit site
It's making me so angry
mad.gif
My goldie is a perfect example of her breed - she is fabulous and only has two health problems caused be accidents not her breeding. We wanted to breed from her when she was younger but the KC said no. Why? Because her legs were too long
mad.gif
mad.gif
So at 12 she is still in great health while the goldie stud dog down the road probably won't live much longer (he's 5), is crippled with arthritus, has a severe heart murmer and a spinal problem
frown.gif
Knowing what I know now about rescue centres and breeding I'm glad we didn't breed from her but it still makes me grrrrr
mad.gif

Acolyte

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are not normally culled though?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hundreds of greyhounds who dont make the grade are culled - if not thousands. The trouble is that no-one wants to acknowledge it happens, so the culling is done behind the scenes and not humanely
crazy.gif

sade1986

Visit site
I'm going to have to agree to disagree with you. I think it all comes back to breed standards. The only reason people overbreed them and judges place them over well formed dogs is because they are aiming to reach this breed standard. I understand that you may end up with the worst of both but in attempting to breed for the best of both/hybrid vigour you can at least attempt to erradicate (sp) some of the problems.

Sooty

Visit site
Working lines tend to be bred for stamina, rather than the show lines which are bred for appearance. You can still have a lovely pedigree dog, just be careful where you buy it from, and try and get one with a tail! Dogs like tails, they are important to them.
smile.gif

Acolyte

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The mongrels that I've come across have had more health problems than you can shake a stick at. People never seem to understand that you are never going to get the best of both breeds 100% of the time, what happens to all the mongrels that have the worst of both breeds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly Henmeister.....

Ladyfresha1

Visit site
Er hello....furniture....dogs have furniture?????? Surely we shouldn't be so worried about obesity in humans. I am not fat, I have furniture!

Sick. Let dogs be dogs.

kanter

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Now, though, I would be too worried about illness to buy a pedigree.
frown.gif

My cat lived to nearly 20yrs, and she was a moggie, perhaps mongrels would be healthier....
S
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup mongrels definiely healthier, though choose wisely, I think my old fella, PTS last autumn, was a combination of all the most neurotic breeds known to man and whilst physically the equivalent of one of the knights that say 'ni' was quite testing in the temperament department!

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Working lines tend to be bred for stamina, rather than the show lines which are bred for appearance. You can still have a lovely pedigree dog, just be careful where you buy it from, and try and get one with a tail! Dogs like tails, they are important to them.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know nothing about dogs; is there a reason tails are docked? A health reason, I mean. Or is it just aesthetic?
S
grin.gif

_April_

Visit site
Was just going to say that said.. we had a working cocker and they are much less prone to the problems that 'show cockers' are
ie conjunctivities caused by stupid wrinkly skin over their eyes...

I can't believe how much the Pug has been ruined over the years
mad.gif

sade1986

Visit site
Some are done for asthetics (sp) but working breeds are docked prevent damage to the tail. It is now only legal to have dogs docked if they are going to be working dogs.

jacks_mum

Visit site
IMO a working dog should be docked so there is no risk of their tails being caught and ripped or broken badly. A pet dog shouldn't be docked. But that 's just my opinion

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Some are done for asthetics (sp) but working breeds are docked prevent damage to the tail. It is now only legal to have dogs docked if they are going to be working dogs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you tell me more? Which working dogs can be docked - and what sort of injuries are the tails prone to?
S
grin.gif

kanter

Visit site
[quote
Hundreds of greyhounds who dont make the grade are culled - if not thousands. The trouble is that no-one wants to acknowledge it happens, so the culling is done behind the scenes and not humanely
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know that
frown.gif

Two wrongs don't make a right though.

I don't know what the answer is.

_April_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I know nothing about dogs; is there a reason tails are docked? A health reason, I mean. Or is it just aesthetic?
S
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Tails are/were docked in working breeds to stop it geting caught on fences, bushes etc and ripped..

I worked in a vets one summer and saw some puppies having it done, to be honest it wasn't bad at all.
And you all know what a soft touch I am!!!
grin.gif