Am I the only person not clapping.....

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
No, I don't clap.
I'd far rather the government taxed me more and funded the NHS properly. There's something utterly selfish in our ignoring NHS workers for decades - but now we are scared we might die of Coronavirus, we suddenly want to smarm to them. Not in any practical way - but clapping makes us feel good - we are all in this together - you all have to look after MEEEEEE.

Same with the scientists - for years we have been vilifying experts, and placing much greater emphasis on the (often emotive) and ignorant views of people who happen to be affected by whatever the scientific controversy might be. But now - suddenly - we can't get enough of them.

Gah, I hate people. :p

Sorry, I think you triggered a rant!

southerncomfort

Visit site
I don't really understand the point of it now.

It was *supposed* to be about showing appreciation for NHS and key workers but according to our community FB page its 'something nice for the kiddies'. Thursday night is party night now with DJ's, bands playing, fireworks going off. Anyone who suggests toning it down a bit is a killjoy apparently.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I have done everyweek. Last couple of weeks I wasn't going to be my neighbours knocked the door so couldn't not.

If my neighbours knocked on my door to clap something I would be very irked indeed!

I understand the premise of it, and it was nice to have a celebration and feel like our road was a community for a couple of minutes. I stopped clapping after week 2 though, I think everyone is going OTT with the signs etc because it makes them feel as though they are doing something meaningful in a time when they are otherwise doing nothing.

I also left the road Whatsapp group after we had ascertained that there were no people in need on our road, as they started to discuss growing Loofah's and sending photos of their puzzles instead.

Cloball

Visit site
I clapped the first night and felt very touched and overwhelmed as an NHS worker. I know my family are put there clapping which is lovely but I agree with the sentiment above.
I went out to weed the front garden at half 7 and then felt obliged to clap which isn't the point is it. It felt very awkward and competitive. It's s bit far gone from the original sentiment. I'd rather people looked after their health and was kind, nurses and carers had massive pay rises and we all had proper PPE.

meleeka

Visit site
nope, and I have personal reasons for not doing so. I cycled past them all last week, as quickly as possible as it was all a bit loud.

I felt quite embarrassed when I drove down my street not realising it was 8pm and there was a welcoming committee ?

i usually clap. It’s a minute out of my week so not a great hardship to join in. The only one of my neighbours that don’t bother are the ones than didn’t bother with lockdown either.

NinjaPony

Visit site
I'm not clapping. Instead, I am attending induction training for a part time job with the NHS, and having a job interview for a management job with the NHS. Deeds not claps. I hope the people clapping our 'heroes' having voted in a government who have put them in such danger think long and hard about who they vote for next time round. Claps are poor compensation for stagnant pay, budget cuts and no PPE.