Am I the only person not clapping.....

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
I did the first week but I don't know why as I live in the middle of nowhere!
This is my lane as in picture outside my place.
Just the cows, sheep , poultry and bats (at night) to hear me clapping
I did it as support for my girlfriend who has been working all through lockdown in a care home.
I lost my mum in January, she had all the symptoms of corona but it wasn't really "the thing" then so will never know if she had it or not. I shut my saddlery business down, am on universal credit but I am now being trained to work alongside my girlfriend in the care home so will have money coming in again soon that I have earned, HATE being on UC, I have worked for NHS 4 seperate times in the past many years ago as ancilliary staff and been a care assistant 3 times, last time 20 years a go . HOW it's changed!
I am condensing an online e learning course with videos in to a few days, then getting assessed, how anyone can say care assistants are unskilled needs their head's examined.
Easier to make a saddle!
I was out on the skips and trade waste bin lorries last year too. In all these jobs I have had in the past I got no recognition and was classed as unskilled, just a cleaner, laundry staff, porter etc I have been driven at, hit by cars, abused and threatened as a bin man last year, now suddenly they are like Gods!
Other carers and care assistants etc on here will know exactly what I mean. when I say I'm glad people are sitting up and taking note as it's about time care assistants, ancilliary staff and bin men/recyclers were recognised for their hard and I feel quite skilled work they tirelessly provide as I speak from hard earned experience over the last 42 years
Oz

Attachments

• front of our bungalow.jpg
    front of our bungalow.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

angrybird1

Visit site
I don't mind doing it . It takes a couple of minutes. I have done it every week but now on week eight it does seem a bit pointless. It's losing its impact. I wasn't going to but neighbour knocked door to remind me!
I might have to be out next week. Dont want to turn it in to a issue with neighbours it's not worth it. The local Facebook page getting a bit nasty with comments on certain streets having a poor show. It's turning a little nasty!

skint1

Visit site
I agree with Trouper, I am deeply grateful to the NHS, carers and all the other unsung heros, they need our support when it comes to making sure they get paid fairly and have decent employment terms and conditions, and maybe some decent, secure affordable housing wouldn't go amiss.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
I do, I have even set an alarm on my phone as there are people in our village that "shame" other neighbours when they don't clap on Facebook.... yes, I'm pathetic! Ha!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
My neighbour asked if I would, I told her no and that I was sick of the idiots setting off fireworks and sky lanterns. Oops. Only she and one other clap out of a street of 16 houses.

Cloball

Visit site
If people want to clap or don't want to clap that is fine but if people are only clapping because someone can hear surely that is not the point? Or have I missed the point.
I kind of find the 'heroes' retoric uncomfortable as well in my mind all keyworkers are human professionals doing a job they are trained to do, but I understand how it inspires those who are underpaid and undersupported to keep on trucking.

atropa

Visit site
I haven't clapped, I would probably have done it the first week except I live in quite an isolated place and didn't hear any neighbours clapping to remind me.

HeresHoping

Visit site
I have clapped twice. And it has been noted on the village FacePlant page that I have been conspicuous by not doing so. So I have deliberately not been seen to clap even more. Another one who would like to see the NHS properly remunerated and equipped rather than clapped for doing a job they signed up to. We don't clap each week for the soldiers on tour, do we?

Mind you, we've been manufacturing PPE since this whole thing began, only to find that certain hospitals 'have plenty, thank you.'

But, it seems my village has been beyond militant in observing lock down rules, to the point of reporting the community nurse who came to change my elderly neighbour's dressings. It seems we even have a designated reporter, who demands all details of suspicious business to be 'PMd' so he can spend the evening uploading to the website. Moral to that story? Don't get sick; and certainly don't change your veg box provider.

In fact, even though our main street is a main thoroughfare to towns in North Yorkshire, we have become almost Royston Vasey about life here. It's a local village for local people. And the next hamlet along, even more so... with signs at the ends of driveways saying 'You didn't walk here before, why are you walking here now?' Ummm, because you are less than 3 miles from us, the main footpath goes through your hamlet, and we don't have anything else to do now we are unable to go to work?

Except on VE Day. When orders (yes, orders. No 'won't you join us?'; instead we received notes through our letter boxes telling us to 'Put up Bunting' and 'Have a picnic tea on your front verge/in your front garden') arrived, they were swiftly followed by copies of the lyrics to 'We'll meet again' and 'White Cliffs of Dover', ' To be sung at 1630 hours'. Everyone obliged. And when I snuck away to attend the horse at 1800, social distancing and gatherings of no more than 2 people had become a distant memory.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I don't clap. I'm actually fed up with it. I don't need to clap to show my appreciation and love of my mums carers or any other. Am I bad?
Nope. I'm exactly the same. I'm painfully shy and would feel incredibly daft clapping in my street. Also initially it was 'clap for the NHS' which I wholly disagreed with, when there were many more none NHS people going above and beyond, putting themselves at risk, including my husband. Now they have widened it to include keyworkers. I deeply appreciate everything everyone has done (I myself am currently volunteering to help vulnerable people) but don't need to clap on my driveway each week to show that appreciation.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I have clapped twice. And it has been noted on the village FacePlant page that I have been conspicuous by not doing so. So I have deliberately not been seen to clap even more. Another one who would like to see the NHS properly remunerated and equipped rather than clapped for doing a job they signed up to. We don't clap each week for the soldiers on tour, do we?

Mind you, we've been manufacturing PPE since this whole thing began, only to find that certain hospitals 'have plenty, thank you.'

But, it seems my village has been beyond militant in observing lock down rules, to the point of reporting the community nurse who came to change my elderly neighbour's dressings. It seems we even have a designated reporter, who demands all details of suspicious business to be 'PMd' so he can spend the evening uploading to the website. Moral to that story? Don't get sick; and certainly don't change your veg box provider.

In fact, even though our main street is a main thoroughfare to towns in North Yorkshire, we have become almost Royston Vasey about life here. It's a local village for local people. And the next hamlet along, even more so... with signs at the ends of driveways saying 'You didn't walk here before, why are you walking here now?' Ummm, because you are less than 3 miles from us, the main footpath goes through your hamlet, and we don't have anything else to do now we are unable to go to work?

Except on VE Day. When orders (yes, orders. No 'won't you join us?'; instead we received notes through our letter boxes telling us to 'Put up Bunting' and 'Have a picnic tea on your front verge/in your front garden') arrived, they were swiftly followed by copies of the lyrics to 'We'll meet again' and 'White Cliffs of Dover', ' To be sung at 1630 hours'. Everyone obliged. And when I snuck away to attend the horse at 1800, social distancing and gatherings of no more than 2 people had become a distant memory.

Holy cow. I am sure I would have been burnt at the stake if I had the misfortune of living in your village...

HeresHoping

Visit site
Holy cow. I am sure I would have been burnt at the stake if I had the misfortune of living in your village...

I actually thought I might be. :rolleyes: I spent last weekend on an extremely long walk on Saturday, leaving before the sparrows had farted and returning around teatime via the cow field at the back so no one could see; and didn't emerge at all on Sunday that they could see, except to sit in my garden (which is walled, so they can't actually see). Didn't even draw the curtains. I did, however, make a lot of noise when the ex returned my children and dogs on Monday. Curtains twitched.

No lynch mobs were forthcoming. I suspect they are saving it for this weekend.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site

That's horrendous!
I'd have put up bunting with 'eff off, you judgemental barstewards' written all over it.

Reacher

Visit site
I don’t clap either for reasons given by others up thread. If people want to that’s fine but banging pans is ridiculous. The Facebook shaming of people who don’t clap is dreadful mob mentality.

Our local young farmers group decided to have a “tractor trundle” doing a circuit of local villages to “show appreciation for NHS and farming community”. What happened was that about 30 tractors came screaming through the village too fast blaring their horns at 8pm on Thursday. We have this to look forward to once a month. I seem to be in a minority (of one?) finding it anti social.

Similar happened in our village re VE Day!

rascal

Visit site
We do not clap none of the neighbours do either, although it is by some, used as an excuse for letting off fireworks.
Youngest daughters boyfriends mother is a nurse, and she said she would rather have a pay rise to show appreciation.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I’ve shared my experiences on another thread but no I haven’t clapped nor did I shock horror donate to Captain Tom although as an individual I totally admire him. I totally support the NHS but am not into meaningless token gestures. The NHS and it’s staff should have proper funding and support that actually protects them and helps them do a good job. A clap makes people think they’re doing something meaningful when in reality they are not.

I know some won’t like my opinion but there it is.

Abi90

Visit site
Haven’t been clapping, neither have any of my neighbours. I wholeheartedly admire the NHS but there are issues with putting it on a pedestal...

Not to mention that I now don’t get military discount at Dominos pizza as they’ve stopped it so they can give the NHS free pizza. I’m still having to go to work, as are a lot of my colleauges.

This whole keyworker thing has the potential to be very divisive. Keyworkers thinking their opinions matter more than others, and on the news the other day keyworkers saying they didn’t think they should have raised taxes to pay for the furlough scheme but only those receiving furlough should. Terribly divisive, no one without children moans about paying taxes to pay for schools for other people’s children because that’s how our society works! You pay in because you might need it

rosiesowner

Visit site
I don't clap. Both my parents are NHS workers and I hope to be one too one day. It's hard to explain properly but I'm sick of seeing the government and media encourage and almost convince people that the charity and fundraising going on at the moment are what should be funding the the NHS... NO!! I'm not going to carry on ranting but I also don't like how it's become a bit of a performance every week. Give pay rises, stop needlessly using the services when we're not in the middle of a pandemic and don't let me hear any more stories from my mother or her colleagues about being assaulted verbally or physically at work!

PapaverFollis

Visit site
There seems to be a trend towards noisey drive-bys at hospitals too. Honestly find that really disrespectful when there are people suffering and dying inside... but maybe that's just me.

The first week was a lovely idea.

The shaming, the fireworks, skylanterns and pestering people to clap are shit.

whizzer

Visit site
I’m not but I live on a road where there’s only houses on one side,my neighbour was very poorly for weeks in bed so she wasn’t out (suspected corona) the people on the other side of her are antisocial as are my neighbour on the other side. Plus I’m a vet nurse & part of my shift pattern has become evenings/night shifts so I’m not always back from work anyway. I do greatly appreciate the NHS(my dads got cancer) & carers(my mums very ill & in a home)