An Introduction

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It is well into the afternoon and no photos???

You did promise photos today.

Stamps foot.

20 to 6, the day is done, and still no update :mad:

Impatient 🤣

I've been bizzzy! My hearing tests took a lot longer than I expected but I've come from Specsavers with a free pair of Bluetooth enabled aids, which my SiL in Kent had to pay thousands for. Apparently it varies from one area to the next if they can give these for free, so I lucked out there.

OH was also bizzzy and we decided that we are in no rush, so we've left riding till tomorrow.

I went and watched him turned out but forgot my phone. The girls said he came running over to them to come in. I popped Ludo's saddle on him this evening and it fits exactly as it is. That's a relief because a new seat would have been £££s. He has a huge shoulder, a 17 inch panel is only just fitting on his back. I girthed it up and flung the stirrups around a bit and he isn't reacting one bit. I can't see why I shouldn't get on tomorrow afternoon.

He is so quiet and incredibly sweet.

onemoretime

Visit site
First of all a huge thank you to everyone who supported me through the trauma of losing both the most lovable horse I've ever owned and the most adorable cat I've ever owned within a few weeks of each other. You really did help me get through the worst. You are the absolute best of HHO. The loss of Pickle seems desperately unfair and we miss him being around the house so badly. The loss of Ludo was devastating. I have loved most of the many horses I've owned in the last 45 years, but never been as insanely "in love" with a horse as I was with him. And I had to choose to end his life. It was the pits and I really thought I would never want another.

But I've gone a bit mad with too much time on my hands, and this is Charlie. Charlie is in some ways an unwise purchase. As a flat racer of 17.1-ish, he is way out of the norm, bigger than most chasers never mind flat racers. He was started too young for a big horse and raced at three. He won under Frankie Dettori, so he was in illustrious company and ended his racing career sound when his owner ran out of money. Although he's not worked that hard, and had long rests between flat racing seasons, and had a clean vet record for at least the last year, it will be very much a matter of luck if we can keep him sound. I will simply count every month he is as a win.

But he was too good to turn down, straight moving with big open joints, a lot of bone and a lovely action, fabulous temperament suitable for an OAP, already let down by the trainer, who won't allow his horses to be sold until he's done that, barefoot with great feet, clean legs, show quality, beautiful head, huge ears and the kindest eyes. A hopefully lovely project to turn him from knowing nothing but flat racing into an all rounder. He's 7, a lovely age.

A big thank you to the HHOer who PMd me about a trainer near them who always had nice horses, you know who you are :).

So wish me luck, please, and here he is. I'll get some photos of me on him when I'm on him. First he has to take a GP saddle and learn to be mounted from the stirrup because I'm sure as heck not being thrown up onto him, which is what he is used to.

View attachment 113646
View attachment 113647

He's gorgeous. Well done, what a lucky find. I wish you all the best with him.

ycbm

Visit site
The other thing I'm in no hurry about is that he has very thin skin and some rainscald on his right shoulder where the saddle will sit. It was raw under the scabs yesterday, much better today, but there are new pips of hair dying and I would prefer to give it another day to recover.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site

Impatient 🤣

I've been bizzzy! My hearing tests took a lot longer than I expected but I've come from Specsavers with a free pair of Bluetooth enabled aids, which my SiL in Kent had to pay thousands for. Apparently it varies from one area to the next if they can give these for free, so I lucked out there.

OH was also bizzzy and we decided that we are in no rush, so we've left riding till tomorrow.

I went and watched him turned out but forgot my phone. The girls said he came running over to them to come in. I popped Ludo's saddle on him this evening and it fits exactly as it is. That's a relief because a new seat would have been £££s. He has a huge shoulder, a 17 inch panel is only just fitting on his back. I girthed it up and flung the stirrups around a bit and he isn't reacting one bit. I can't see why I shouldn't get on tomorrow afternoon.

He is so quiet and incredibly sweet.

You forgot your phone :mad:

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
As a rule TBs do nothing for me aesthetically but he's a nice looking chap and a proper sized horse 🤣🤣 I hope he helps even just a little bit to ease the heartache of losing Ludo. He was one of my fav HHO horses 🥺

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I'm very behind. First of all so sorry to hear about your cat, I had no idea. And congrats on the horse, he looks beautiful and with a lovely kind eye. About 3 hands too big for my liking though 😆

lme

Visit site
He looks lovely. And he’s a nice height. Mine is 17:1 so I might be biased. Prepare yourself for the constant ‘isn’t he huge’ comments though.

Sealine

Visit site
He looks lovely 😍 He reminds me of a 17.2 bay TB gelding I used to ride as a teenager. He'd never raced and was bought unbroken as a 7 year old. He was such a gentle giant and super to ride. I hope your new boy helps to heal you heart and that you have lots of fun with him in the future.

More photos please !

ycbm

Visit site
OH has just apologised and said he knows I don't want to get too attached but he thinks Charlie is really special. I'm sunk, aren't I ?

Anyway, he is turning out to be exactly what I saw when I bought him, a sweet and gentle soul who just wants to please. It took him about 15 minutes in a walk around the (huge, busy) yard this morning to realise that I expect him to read my body language, stop when I stop and walk on when I walk on. I think he's bright, and engaged. He did see other horses in arenas and across the yard but made no attempt to call to them or go to them. He really marches when he walks, I can barely keep up!

We fell over some poles did a little introductory pole work because he's very short on top line and it needs building up for him to carry me for any length of time longer than a few minutes. Suffice it to say that I don't think he's ever seen poles before! There were more taps than a his'n'hers bathroom. That will be something we repeat. He needs to learn how to really use that body.

I've cracked the rainscald, no new scabs, so we're ready to ride. But tonight we are out to see NT live and the OH deserves a bit of attention over an early dinner, so I'm putting off riding until tomorrow. I'm pretty confident to hop right on board now that I've taken him out for a walk this morning and seen how he coped.

Peglo

Visit site
Sorry to say it does read like your sunk. Your updates are really nice to read. Looking forward to more pics.

Visit site
I'd just kick on and ride him. He has obviously been in work where he was until the good Dr ran out of money so he will have a decent level of fitness to him.

Most flat horses will have never seen poles either as obviously that wasn't their calling so no need.

ycbm

Visit site
I'd just kick on and ride him. He has obviously been in work where he was until the good Dr ran out of money so he will have a decent level of fitness to him.

Most flat horses will have never seen poles either as obviously that wasn't their calling so no need.

Thanks for the advice Elf but he's very short of saddle~carrying back muscle and been out of work for months, so slowly and steadily will be the right way, I think.

I had no expectation that he would have seen poles before.