Another British Horse Society c**k-up

honetpot

Visit site
I
Thanks, McFluff. You picked up a number of things that were to the forefront of my mind. And you're right, quite a lot of good work is happening - but some CRAZY errors and misjudgements too. It certainly isn't going to be easy to see this sorted. The Board appears to be weak - and under the CEO's thumb. Two Trustee vacancies were not filled this year because - although two Members were properly nominated - it was decided they were 'unsuitable'. Goodness knows why - or even if there is a 'right' to decline properly nominated people for vacancies that exist. (Trying to work THAT out in the constitution is doing my head in.)

I thought the shoe was on the other foot, and the Trustees have overall control and responsibility. You have probably seen this.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/trustee-board-people-and-skills

honetpot

Visit site
From the constitution.,
'Without prejudice to any statutory rights to requisition a General Meeting, a General Meeting
of the Society may be requisitioned by twelve Voting Members of the Society writing jointly
in a single document to the Chief Executive. A General Meeting req uisitioned under this
article 24.2 shall be held at such time and in such place as the Board shall appoint'
We all know that people never go the an AGM, but to stop having all together seems strange.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
ll, I still remember my first AGM as Acting CE - 3 days after HD was sacked. and HRH was chairing it. I had known her for quite a while, first through RDA in Australia - and we had a nice little natter in the breaks - when votes were being counted - and when the ruddy fire alarm went off. As I recall, there were about 40 members there in addition to regional and head office people. Of course, the CE/Board usually have hundreds of proxy votes, so .....

GHamlet75

Visit site
ll, I still remember my first AGM as Acting CE - 3 days after HD was sacked. and HRH was chairing it. I had known her for quite a while, first through RDA in Australia - and we had a nice little natter in the breaks - when votes were being counted - and when the ruddy fire alarm went off. As I recall, there were about 40 members there in addition to regional and head office people. Of course, the CE/Board usually have hundreds of proxy votes, so .....
o_O

What's the difference between an AGM and an EGM? I've seen people mention both on this forum and I'm a bit confused!

honetpot

Visit site
They do not hold AGM's any more,
'Following a vote by members at the 2009 AGM, the Society no longer holds automatic Annual General Meetings. Extraordinary General Meetings (EGMs) will be held as and when necessary and members will be notified electronically where we have their email addresses, and in writing through British Horse.

Election Board Meetings (EBMs) are held to announce results of Trustee elections and are also open to members. Although these meetings are usually brief, they provide an opportunity for members to meet Trustees and put questions to them in person'

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Good grief - it's NOT just the BHS with unhappy members. BE is having an EGM on 22nd of this month. To quote: "as a result of 107 of our 15,800 members submitting a petition expressing no confidence in the Chairman and Chief Executive. We have a duty under our Articles of Association to hold an EGM if 100 signatures are submitted. We must also do so within a specified period of time and hence why the timing of the EGM is so close to the scheduled AGM."

Velcrobum

Visit site
Good grief - it's NOT just the BHS with unhappy members. BE is having an EGM on 22nd of this month. To quote: "as a result of 107 of our 15,800 members submitting a petition expressing no confidence in the Chairman and Chief Executive. We have a duty under our Articles of Association to hold an EGM if 100 signatures are submitted. We must also do so within a specified period of time and hence why the timing of the EGM is so close to the scheduled AGM."

BD also has a lot of very unhappy members but for them to get an EGM it is 1700 signatures. I got the BE email this AM and have no idea what it is about, nothing on BE forum and as yet nothing on HHO.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
This situation has obviously been going on for some time....why haven't previous staff ever set up an alternative organisation? An organisation that with no competition is a dangerous thing for staff because they are forced to put up and shut up if they want to carry on working in their field.

GHamlet75

Visit site
:eek: wow what is going on with the equestrian world?! Could BHS members do the same to call an EGM or would we have to get more than 100 members to write in?

honetpot

Visit site
:eek: wow what is going on with the equestrian world?! Could BHS members do the same to call an EGM or would we have to get more than 100 members to write in?
From the BHS website,
From the constitution.,
'Without prejudice to any statutory rights to requisition a General Meeting, a General Meeting
of the Society may be requisitioned by twelve Voting Members of the Society writing jointly
in a single document to the Chief Executive
. A General Meeting req uisitioned under this
article 24.2 shall be held at such time and in such place as the Board shall appoint'

GHamlet75

Visit site
Thanks honetpot. Regardless of whether it's an AGM or an EGM can members have any significant impact if we have concerns? I'm just not sure if we can make a positive influence going down that route?

HectorTTerry

Visit site
I've read that the BHS Approved Centres are closing at an alarming rate (according to the annual report last year numbers dropped from 822 to 767), and yet my understanding is that the BHS is focusing its attentions on China where it can help the upper and middle classes who have recently discovered riding as a hobby. Is this really the future direction of The British Horse Society?

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
"I've read that the BHS Approved Centres are closing at an alarming rate (according to the annual report last year numbers dropped from 822 to 767), "

How many closed - and how many just decided that the BHS just wasn't doing enough for them - particularly in relation to the COST of being BHS Approved. Blackdyke Farm in Carlisle - run by John Collier BHSI, was Approved for 35 years - he questioned fitness for purpose - and left the scheme. Seems not to have hurt Blackdyke Farm at all. I wonder how many others just felt it was NOT 'fit for purpose'.

HectorTTerry

Visit site
I know a number of centres who have been crippled by business rates but you do make a very valid point JanetGeorge. I would like to know how many centres have decided that it's simply not worth having the BHS name anymore.

onemoretime

Visit site
I've read that the BHS Approved Centres are closing at an alarming rate (according to the annual report last year numbers dropped from 822 to 767), and yet my understanding is that the BHS is focusing its attentions on China where it can help the upper and middle classes who have recently discovered riding as a hobby. Is this really the future direction of The British Horse Society?
:eek:

EventingMum

Visit site
I must admit feeling the approvals scheme is now very much aimed at the bigger, all singing, all dancing centres who are being rewarded for the huge investments they are able to make. The traditional, smaller schools used to be able to achieve highly commended status by having good working practices and high standards of horsemanship but not now.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Up date on the BE EGM the signatories of the letter have just stated no confidence but no reason. I guess if really interested one would have to attend the meeting. I certainly would not give a proxy vote unless I knew what I was voting for.

GHamlet75

Visit site
No confidence? Wow...troubling times ahead for the equestrian world. At least we don't have to wait long to hear the outcome.

GHamlet75

Visit site
Hi everyone. To continue raising awareness, please keep sharing this with as many equestrian friends as possible. We're close to reaching 20,000 views!

honetpot

Visit site
It must be something in the water. The Royal College of Nurses had a EGM and the committee lost a vote of no confidence, so they have gone away to review their position.
I think the running thread is the 'elite' of what ever organisation thinking they act for all their members and not really paying attention to ordinary members opinions, because they obviously know better.