Another fatal dog attack

satinbaze

Visit site
I used to help out at local puppy classes. A few years ago a lady turned up with 2 children both under 5 and a very mature looking “staffie cross” that they had just obtained from the RSPCA. Dog was very strong and resource guarding. The poor lady was really doing her best but this dog was a liability around the children as it grabbed toys s and wouldn’t let go, not for food, other toys nothing. It is the only time we ever advised that a dog was not suitable for the family, she returned the dog to the RSPCA.

stormox

Visit site
Is an 'older' person more likely to rehome their dog than a young couple/person who might start a family and decide dogs and children don't mix?
I don't think there's ever been any research to find out what sort of home is likely to 'get rid'.
I really dislike 'ageism' being used as reason not to allow someone to adopt.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I guess their thinking is if us golden oldies might become to frail and unable to look after the dogs and possibly get rid. Surely older people looking for a dog will also take that into account though? In my case all the family are keen walkers and dog owners and we have all walked for several hours most days, with dogs alongside us. I have to say I did take the possibility of some sort of health issue cropping up where I couldn't walk them both myself (talk about talk it up!) into account. But thankfully, one of my sons is a very keen dog walker/owner and they get more excited to go out with him anyway, I am guessing his solo walks with them are more interesting and adventurous than mine! I think when I am eventually fixed and I am ready to resume dog walking duties we might fight over who the dogs actually belong to 😂, although he has always said from day one if anything happens to us they won't be going anywhere!

I would love a little terrier too, we have always had one of those in the mix and at our age it would make sense to rehome and older one but I know the chances of being thought a suitable home by a rescue over here is pretty much zero. Sad really as we could offer such a great life for one but that is the way of it unfortunately.

conniegirl

Visit site
We also completely gave up on rescues after multiple bad experiences.
this is despite having been a “last chance” foster home for golden retriever rescue.
we wanted a small dog as we moved from a rural place with lots of land, to a village with just the garden, So goldies were out as they are just to big.

no rescues would look at us. All extremely dismissive and patronising. Much like certain posts on here.

so we ended up rehoming privately. Jezza came from a lady at work who was going through a nasty divorce. He was with us 8 brilliant years and he wanted for nothing. Daisy has been with us 4 years now and came from a guy with terminal cancer

Pinkvboots

Visit site
They did a chat with Dr Scot the vet on This morning today about the increase of dog attacks, he actually made a very valid point about the xl bully type breeds toddlers and small kids, that when the child is standing it is at eye level with these big dogs which can be intimidating for the dog, they also shriek alot and its high pitched which can enhance a prey instinct in most dogs.

He also said that covid didn't help as there are generally more dogs about now and a lot of people that no nothing about dogs own these pets and basically have no control over them.

I thought the information was pretty good for a morning show I for one never thought about kids being at eye level with big dogs.

conniegirl

Visit site
I thought the information was pretty good for a morning show I for one never thought about kids being at eye level with big dogs.

We actively stop Ellie being in front of Daisy when she is at eye level (crawling, crouching or sitting) we do this by moving the child not the dog. Daisy is only little and is known to be brilliant with kids but there is no point tempting fate or pushing her unnecessarily.

honetpot

Visit site
Amymay

A fit 62 year old would have had a choice of dogs from us especially if they were experienced and would consider one of the (affectionally named) thug gang i.e. a young male. No grass and one afternoon a week away? Not a problem. No rottie owner has much grass in winter, just mud and even full time workers are fine for some dogs as long as there are arrangements in place so that they get a visit in the middle of the day...

If it's any consolation to anyone, I was refused a dog by various rescues in 2021 when I was looking for a friend/assistance dog for my idiot rott. Not that old, fairly fit and healthy, WFH, experienced with many breeds, owned home, no children, one cat who is very dog savvy and as she is elderly now, stays away from the dogs usually, happy to take a older dog or with some health issues, fabulous references from my vet, trainers and the rescue. Despite all my rescue contacts I ended up doing a private rehome through a friend of a friend of a friend. But despite being slightly peeved at the time, I did understand that I was looking for the dog that everyone else wanted - easy going, great temperament, small to medium size as having one dog with severe behavioural issues that we were working through I couldn't have another difficult dog or a pup. I could have had my choice of rotts in any of the breed rescues ( there has to be some perks to volunteering ;) ) but despite having up to 4 rotts at a time in the past, I sadly realised that I wasn't strong enough for 2 big dogs in public, especially if my one kicked off at something stupid as was likely. Also, I just couldn't afford two! I pay £160 a month in insurance for my 2, the big dog is nearly 5 and the little dog (only 20kgs) is 9 years old. £130 of that is for the rott alone.

When a rescue turns you down, it's not personal, it's more likely that there is a lot of competition for that dog or they are big enough to have set in stone policies and procedures. If they don't reply to you try again, dog rescue is their thing, not organisation/customer service! They are probably running around like headless chickens or just a bit scatty.

Better still, go and volunteer. The rescue gets to know you, you get to play with dogs and as a bonus, you get the inside track on what dogs are available and what they are really like. Win, win

Thank you ellieb :)
It may not be personal, but looking at some of the forms I have been asked to fill in it makes assumptions based on questions if you really wanted to, you could lie about.
I am the person of last resort, (big charity)when I take has something that they can not rehome, three times they have rung me, despite not having the 'perfect' home. These animals have often been in kennels for months, and are traumatised by the experience, so there is little chance of them going to the perfect home, so they bend the rules. I will no longer take these as they have charged me for the privilege of trying to solve the problem. Being in large kennels is stressful and a health risk for cats and dogs.
I am fostering a dog ATM by accident, spent a lot one to one time on it, coped with the mess and disruption, but no rescue would consider that commitment, because I do not tick several boxes. All these mainly inflexible rules is actually creating a market for puppies and young dogs, you get a blank slate and the mess if there is one, is one of your making.

paddy555

Visit site
She couldn't find anyone who would let her adopt until she found the local greyhound rescue. We went there one weekend at an advertised open time, they showed us round, discussed what she could offer, showed us several dogs. One dog, who they thought may be suitable, looked google eyed and horrified. Then we met Lucy. Small, a little timid... she chose mum, stuck by her side.

that's exactly it though. I bet Lucy could have been a total PITA but your mum would have adored her whatever she did and forgiven her anything. So happy dog and happy mum which I thought was the general idea.

That is why if I was to take on a dog (rather than a puppy from a breeder) it would be a case of what dog I fell for and if it fell for me.

I had a Lucy situation I think it was the second time I went to the cat rescue. We had gone for a couple of ferals, hadn't really thought of a house cat and innocently wandered around. It seemed quite safe that I wouldn't fall in love. I did with Cally, a full coated ginger. We looked at each other through the bars and that was is. Marriage made in heaven that lasted for a many years with my "heart" cat. ..
The sign said "not for rehoming" A couple of hours later they had lent me another cat cage and he was sitting on the front seat. They used common sense in finding him a home.

That rescue did everything they could to help both me and their cats. Over the years I have relieved them of around 15 cats. That has allowed them to take in others, has given them some money in sale fees, has brought them some money as I always think of them first with money to spare, or food, cages or anything else I have going spare.

On one visit we asked for a horrible, nasty mean cat. Didn't matter what it looked like as long as it hated rats as much as people. There was such a cat on death row that had already put a volunteer in hospital. They couldn't find a home and he was getting nastier by the day penned. They took a chance that it could work out, sent their home checker who went the place with us as we tried to work out the best way to cage him to start with and he arrived.

We had been overrun with rats. By the end of the first couple of days of his caging the intelligent ones had packed their bags. The night after his release the more stupid rats were arranged neatly in a line by the following morning.

Would the first rescue have even considered anything like that? no way whatsoever. This one did as it was trying to find a solution for a difficult cat. "Cat" (his name) got another 8 years of life after his time on death row. Sadly the rats didn't do so well. :D

paddy555

I'm sorry you feel like that and of course it is your prerogative not to use or support any organisation that you choose. Was just trying to share the view from the other side of the fence.

I appreciate that. I was also trying so share a view from the adopter's side.

so they can determine which dogs may be suitable, .

you have to also bear in mind the Lucy situation in Red's post. For some of us, maybe many, it is what dog you fall for not what may be suitable. (I am not suggesting letting the 90yo on crutches have an Akita )

If you fall for an animal you are going to forgive it a lot and try to keep going and work past the problems that often come with rescue dogs. If the rescue decides which dog you can have because it is the right height, weight, temperament and whatever else it doesn't mean you will love it and I wonder then if one would be more likely to return it (or at least complain) at the slightest problem.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
@paddy555 Lucy ruled the world! She had fleeces, blankets, loves etc. She had space to run. She had doggy friends. She stayed until the morning she had a stroke, and that day mum realised she couldn't lift her into the car.

Of course, Mr Red and I took her to the vets with mum, so she didn't suffer, but mum was a realist in that a greyhound was too big for her next dog. A rescue could have given her a whole string of ancient dodderer handbag dogs to nurse in their final years, and she would have loved and taken care of them all. Plus donated generously. We were stunned that no one wanted her to have one of theirs.

Arzada

Visit site
and getting back on track again

child not badly hurt, dog appears to be a bull breed.
The article also includes a report of an attack the previous week on a 74 yo woman. She was knocked to the ground where the attack continued, for about 5 minutes. Her arm was broken and muscles and tendons removed from her arm. I imagine torn from her arm would be more accurate. She has had surgery but remains in hospital awaiting further treatment.

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
When will it end? and how can our society move forward and have some sort of controls on these very powerful dogs , I’ve not been in favour of banning certain breeds but lately I’m beginning to change my mind as the people who own them are either thug types who want a hard image , families who are blind to the risk that powerful dogs pose to theirs and other peoples children , or a minority of responsible dog owners who take all the relevant precautions and have carefully bought their dogs up to be friendly and obedient.. even though these attacks seem to be by large dogs the general public could do with being educated on how to keep their children safe. You wouldn’t let your toddler have access to the fire or a candle or the cooker when it’s on so why not use the same common sense with a dog who has the capacity to maim or kill..I wouldn’t allow a toddler to interact with any of my dogs if I wasn’t close by , I am as sure as I could be that they wouldn’t bite but I would never take that risk….

sky1000

Visit site
No Splashgirl I know you didn't. I agree about what has been said about stupid parents. Just those latest attacks mentioned seemed more random attacks.

maisie06

Visit site
Just been listening to Jeremy Vine on radio 2 very interesting debate. I have not been an advocate of banning breeds as thr=e wrong sorts willjust carrying breeding anyways but I think something really needs to be done regarding XL bullies, who needs an 80kg dog capable of killing an adult human being? A police dog behaviourist was saying for the most part these breeds were bought by people wanting social media status dogs, often had feral children and lived chaotic lives....think the term he was looking for was chavs,,,

Smitty

Visit site
I saw this as we
The BBC has put up an article about the increasing number of dog attacks (a 34% increase in England and Wales):

I saw that as well. I'm not surprised. You only have to look at the dogs available to buy on the internet ad sites, some offered very cheaply as adults and others offered with a payment plan. And the crosses on these sites are terrifying, I am sure they are not being sold to responsible homes who just want a family dog as a pet.

I live in a fairly grotty town but am amazed that in my terrace we have lurchers (not bull crosses), a beagle, one terrier x whippet who is tiny, another terrier x spaniel pup, two rescues which are basset hound based and my terrier. I avoid the local dog walking field like the plague and stick mostly to the outskirts of the countryside.

Smitty

Visit site
Not a lot of information given about the actual incident but 3 people arrested. No idea why the bloke with the dog who attacked police horse wasn't.

I hope the little girl gets better and doesn't have life changing injuries.

(In my dreams) I hope those responsible for her care spend their custodial sentence considering their poor choice of family pet.

meleeka

Visit site

SadKen

Visit site
Another dog attack on a child, this time in Nuneaton.

Bets taken that at least one of the following is true:

Sink estate
XL or American bully, or similar
Only had the dog a short time, bought as an adult dog maybe off preloved or similar
Dodgy young male owner
Scared neighbours who were already frightened of the dog

Predjucided? Maybe. Or perhaps this is just an all too familiar pattern.

asmp

Visit site

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Another dog attack on a child, this time in Nuneaton.

Bets taken that at least one of the following is true:

Sink estate
XL or American bully, or similar
Only had the dog a short time, bought as an adult dog maybe off preloved or similar
Dodgy young male owner
Scared neighbours who were already frightened of the dog

Predjucided? Maybe. Or perhaps this is just an all too familiar pattern.
100% this. My OH removed a dog last year from exactly the situation you describe. The dog had already bitten the young lad’s mum at least 6 times and she was terrified of it.