Another fatal dog attack

SadKen

Visit site

SadKen

Visit site
That is horrific and my heart goes out to that poor man. What sort of person walks away? Stupid question really as we all know what sort of person walks away but there do seem to be more of them nowadays.
The sort of people who buy bullies as a status symbol. I’m only surprised she was walking it. Scumbag.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Goodness me, I went to look up the one that bit the child's face in Nuneaton and found another...

Then I found the one with the child's face bitten and see that yes, it was an American Bully, and that, contrary to earlier reports, it had not been PTS.

JJS

Visit site
Can someone explain all the differences between these American bull breeds? Pitbulls/XLBullys/American Bulldogs, etc., are they different or just variations of the same breed?
They’re all different breeds. The American Bully is a newer breed that’s only been recognised by the AKC since 2004 and seems to have started gaining in popularity in the UK in the last couple of years.

stangs

Visit site
Can someone explain all the differences between these American bull breeds? Pitbulls/XLBullys/American Bulldogs, etc., are they different or just variations of the same breed?
Pitbull can mean two things: 1) the American Pit Bull Terrier (which originally was bred to be a combination of bull type dogs and terriers), or 2) the Pit Bull type (e.g., the type and specifications described by the DDA - a general bull type dog, taller than a staffie). The APBT was first bred in the 19th century.

American Bulldogs are a mastiff breed. They were bred from the Old English Bulldog like the APBT, but the American Bulldog is bigger and bulkier, with a history of being used as a guardian breed. They're also older than the APBT.

American Bullies are a new breed that began development a few decades ago. Generally speaking, the dog should be bulky and muscular - they should look powerful - but there are several types, the most common of those being:
- Pocket bullies (originally the smallest type, though people are now breeding Micro bullies as well)
- Classic bullies (a large dog with a lighter frame; bred to resemble the older look of the APBT)
- XL bullies (the biggest of the bullies)

American Bullies are primarily descended from pitbulls, though there is some American Bulldog blood in the larger types. They're different to the APBT and the American Bulldog not only because the breed is much younger, but also because they are pretty much only bred to be a companion dog - unlike pitbulls and American Bulldogs, both of which have been used as hunting and working dogs.

Like the APBT, but unlike the American Bulldog, the breed standard states that the dog should never show aggression o be standoffish towards people, stranger or not.

Hope that clears it up.

skinnydipper

Visit site
American Bullies are primarily descended from pitbulls, though there is some American Bulldog blood in the larger types. They're different to the APBT and the American Bulldog not only because the breed is much younger, but also because they are pretty much only bred to be a companion dog

Is it usual to chop the ears off a companion? What is the purpose?

Last edited:

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
The dog world is so depressing now, those poor dogs who are destined to a life of pain and breathing difficulties . I had a lovely walk with my 3 dogs today, didn’t see a soul and it was so nice to allow my dogs to run free with no worries about dog attacks. I meet a friend twice a week with her 2 dogs and they all get on well so mine really don’t need to say hello or play with other dogs.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Clodagh, I was thinking the exact same thoughts reading the news this morning. Two innocents shot in the US, one for ringing the wrong door bell and one for being driven up the wrong driveway and in the process of leaving having realised their error. Out of control and dangerous dogs prowling around a primary school attacking passers by. Fox News admitting liability for flat out lying about vote counting machines being corrupted. The ex-first minister of Scotland and her husband being in all probability thieves rather than fiscally incompetent and on and on and on.

SadKen

Visit site
Today’s American bulldog horror story is brought to you by the phrase ‘what were the RSPCA thinking?’ According to the lady fostering this one (which caused such catastrophic damage to her arm during a 20 minute+ attack that her arm had to be amputated) the RSPCA knew the dog had previously attacked two women and rehomed it with her without telling her.

CorvusCorax

'It's only a laugh, no harm done'
Visit site
Well I mean there are a lot of things to discuss with that case, this obsession with keeping dogs alive whatever the issues (a 15 month old dog of that size with a bite history is a red flag in and of itself).
There's also the issue of people complaining that rescue centres are too rigid, well, here's what happens when there is seemingly no rigidity at all, a woman has lost a limb, a dog is dead and a charity is going to court.
"I've always loved and grown up around dogs and really wanted to give a dog a home and a new life." - none of these things qualifies a person to be able to control or manage challenging dogs. Love/good intent isn't enough.

skinnydipper

Visit site

misst

Visit site
As far as RSPCA go I have no time for them anyway but years ago my neighbour lost her staffy who she had had from Battersea. They had nothing she felt fitted with her shitzu as a new companion so she went to Millbrook RSPCA and they encouraged her to take a medium sized slim build dog who looked a bit lurcher like. Seemed ok but after a few hours it turned on the shitzu. The poor thing had multiple puncture wounds and the vet was absolutely horrified by what had happened to the shitzu. My neighbour had to use a broom to get the new dog off hers and it bit her too. She had been assured it was a nice friendly type....
She was so distressed and felt guilty at not wanting to keep it. I put it in my car and returned it telling them exactly what had happened...An unprovoked sustained attack on a smaller dog which could have killed it.
A week later (because I did not trust the RSPCA) there was a photo on the website offering this lovely dog suitable to live with older children and other pets!
I called them and it was taken down but I often wonder if it was sent to another site for rehoming.