Another fatal dog attack

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Just read a news story one town over from the police Facebook page, a man walking his small dog was mauled and in life threatening condition by two Rottweilers in the middle of town!! Police dispatched both dogs and a 29yo man has been arrested. Very concerning.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Police horses attacked by dog in London.. Also posted in Tack Room

Video:

From Yahoo News

"A Metropolitan police officer was thrown from her horse after a “dangerously out of control” dog savaged the mount’s leg.

The manic canine ran out of a home in Maroon Street, Limehouse heading straight for the two mounted police officers on “routine duties” at 4.50pm on Friday.

It managed to lock its jaws around the leg of one of the police horses who flung the riding officer to the ground. She sustained “minor injuries” in the fall, police said.

It is then caught on camera chasing the other mounted officer down the street.

The dog was stamped on by the horse and was eventually detained and taken into police kennels, the force said.

A Scotland Yard spokesman added: “The rider of the horse, a police constable, was unseated and sustained a minor injury. She did not require hospital treatment.

“The police horse sustained inruries to its leg. It bolted from the scene but was recovered by officers a short distance away with no further incident.

“The dog received a minor injury as a result of being trodden on by the horse.

“Both animals have been assessed by a police vet and neither was seriously hurt. The dog remains at police kennels.

“An offence of ‘a dog being dangerously out of control’ has been recorded.

“There has been no arrest at this stage.”

Last edited:

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Why no arrest? The horse would be classed as a service animal wouldn't it?
Maybe there has not yet been an arrest because the CPS is dithering over what offence will stick.

I would like to see two charges of the aggravated offence: one for the attack on the service animal (if the police horse counts as one) and one for the attack resulting in injury (even though not serious) to the police officer who was unseated.

BBP

Visit site
Why no arrest? The horse would be classed as a service animal wouldn't it?
You don’t have to arrest someone to charge them with an offence. For example, if the responsible person was completely cooperative (and say for example the dog had escaped a fenced garden rather than was ‘released’ onto the horse) the police may decide to invite them to attend the station voluntarily. It reduces costs if you don’t have to drag everyone to the cells. So saying no arrest has been made isn’t always the full picture of actions taken.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I just say ‘no, I’m sorry, they aren’t friendly’. Blanket misery guts, me.
I don't let any kids touch my dogs and I warn adults I don't know if they really must touch them it normally puts them off thankfully.

I won't risk it you just never know if I have kids at the house which is rare I will put them in a separate room.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
We were at a small festival with the dogs yesterday we were sitting down dogs were mostly under the table, woman walks past with a Bassett hound dragging her around and asks me "can they meet"

I
My reply was 'I would rather not' what is it with people with other dogs wanting them to interact with other strange dogs, I have no interest in my dogs meeting dogs I don't know especially huge out of control ones my dogs are tiny and don't particularly like big boisterous dogs.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
We were at a small festival with the dogs yesterday we were sitting down dogs were mostly under the table, woman walks past with a Bassett hound dragging her around and asks me "can they meet"

I
My reply was 'I would rather not' what is it with people with other dogs wanting them to interact with other strange dogs, I have no interest in my dogs meeting dogs I don't know especially huge out of control ones my dogs are tiny and don't particularly like big boisterous dogs.
People always seem so surprised when I say ‘no’ for the exact reasons you mention 🤷🏻‍♀️

Smitty

Visit site

No doubt this will be made much of and the police will be demonised. Perhaps we can have a vigil this time for the lady and her dog.

Frankly, if they are prepared to pay what these animals cost, they can afford to fence their garden and keep the public safe.

Clodagh

Visit site
Probably not a popular opinion, but if more of these out of control dogs were shot maybe their owners might just take a bit more care to keep them under control. No doubt there will be much weeping and wailing about the death of the dogs and abuse directed at the police.
It’s a good idea. I mean the fact that a dog can be shot for chasing sheep does focus peoples minds, maybe if the same punishment was applied for attacking humans it would help.
It’s a shame they can’t shoot the owners.

skinnydipper

Visit site

cauda equina

Visit site

No doubt this will be made much of and the police will be demonised. Perhaps we can have a vigil this time for the lady and her dog.

Frankly, if they are prepared to pay what these animals cost, they can afford to fence their garden and keep the public safe.
"The injured member of the public and dog are receiving medical treatment. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the incident, the two dogs were humanely destroyed as a safety precaution due to circumstances and the injuries caused.

I wouldn't call it unfortunate that the dogs have been destroyed - quite the opposite

Widgeon

Visit site

"Mr Jones said one of the dogs also came out on to the yard and tried to attack him before he was able to retreat."

Owner was fined £900 - what a joke. That's less than it would cost him to buy another XL Bully. It's a good thing the farmer had easy access to a gun.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
It’s all very well the FUW lobbying for the introduction of legislation that dogs must be on a lead and under close control around livestock but there aren’t many people who could hold an XL bully and their head anatomy doesn’t lend itself to being muzzled. As long as these dogs are being bred and sold to the public attacks on people, other pets and livestock will continue unabated.