Another fatal dog attack

skinnydipper

Visit site
Mr Jones said "We do see dog attacks on farms, at most four or five injured or killed, but nothing of this severity,"

I thought I would have a look at how many sheep are killed each year.

"Around 15,000 sheep were killed by dogs in 2016"

That is appalling. What the hell is the matter with people, how hard is it to keep your dog on a lead?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
The number of people who think it's OK to allow their dogs in other people's fields, it's astounding. We have three sheep, who were born here. I have lost count of the number of dogs I have found in the field. Most recent one, sister found a chap in the field, collecting the ball that either he'd thrown in, or the dog had left. We have no public access at all across our land, but you'd never know!

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I hope the farmer invoices the dog owner and follows up in Small Claims if necessary for the costs of the injured sheep which aren't covered by his insurance.
Not only that: the dog owner should fork out the full £14000 for the dead sheep and the vet's fees for treating the injured ones so that the farmer isn't hit with increased insurance premiums next year, then be banned from owning any animal for life.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I was told more than once; “The countryside belongs to everyone.” Their attitude is it’s open access and they have every right to roam wherever they like and also have no idea how their dog will react to a running mob of sheep.
Particularly when we had the rotters, I seriously considered following one persistent offender home, with the dogs and letting them play in her garden!

Keith_Beef

Visit site

marmalade76

Visit site
Probably not a popular opinion, but if more of these out of control dogs were shot maybe their owners might just take a bit more care to keep them under control. No doubt there will be much weeping and wailing about the death of the dogs and abuse directed at the police.

Totally agree with you. Same applies with chasing and attacking livestock.

misst

Visit site
I knew a lady a long time ago. She had two super little terriers who came to the yard. Like most of us they were allowed to roam a bit (very rural area) in the fields and woods at the back but they stuck very close and no one worried. The horses were never bothered by any yard dogs and the dogs stayed out of the horse fields mostly by choice but also by command. The two terriers went missing after going through the fields one day and eventually the owner realised there were sheep in a field next door. There had not been sheep there for years previously. The farmer had shot two little dogs that had been chasing the sheep. They were her dogs. She was devastated but never once blamed the farmer. It was tragic but she just assumed full responsibility for what happened and said she should never have put her dogs in a position where that could happen. She apologised to the farmer.
Nowadays it seems it is always someone elses fault. This lady was a good owner and genuinely would never have let her dogs roam if she had known about the sheep. We were all a lot more vigilant after that too. I see how these things happen occasionally but it seems more common now and no one takes ownership of anything.

Clodagh

Visit site
Where she says how much it hurt, that’s what I’d been thinking. Anyone who has been bitten by a dog knows how much even a small bite hurts.

Poor woman.

And breed not deed… why areXL bullies disproportionate represented? Because only an arse would want to own one or because that’s what their physical appearance lends them to being very good at?

Quigleyandme

Visit site
It’s ridiculous that innocent people can’t go about their business without being attacked. These dogs need to be banned, seized and destroyed. There wouldn’t be any debate over what is and isn’t an XL bully as there was with pittys. There may as well be tigers roaming around UK cities and towns as these dogs. I think I would carry a bloody big knife if I lived in urban UK.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
It’s ridiculous that innocent people can’t go about their business without being attacked. These dogs need to be banned, seized and destroyed. There wouldn’t be any debate over what is and isn’t an XL bully as there was with pittys. There may as well be tigers roaming around UK cities and towns as these dogs. I think I would carry a bloody big knife if I lived in urban UK.
This has literally crossed my mind several times. Which feels ridiculous to think things like that but it represents how unsafe I feel.

Keith_Beef

Visit site
I think I would carry a bloody big knife if I lived in urban UK.

Now, I'm not a properly trained legal professional but... I believe that it is illegal (under several acts of parliament) to carry a weapon with the intent of being able to defend yourself against attack by another person, yet it is not illegal to carry a weapon with the intent of being able to defend yourself against attack by an animal...

I would have to go back and do some more research to be able to quote statute and case law, but this is what I remember from previous discussions on other sites.

skinnydipper

Visit site

Keith_Beef

Visit site
That information is technically incorrect. The wording of the appropriate act is closer to (from memory) "a cutting edge of 76.2mm or 3 inches", so not total blade length at all.

There has been a bit of noise about this recently on teh intarwebs because of some chap ordering some knives from overseas and having a bit of a tussle with Border Farce.

Oh, and look at section 139, "it shall be a defense"... Good reason to have a fixed blade or a locking knife...

Here's an example of a website that sets out the law quite clearly:

Laurac13

Visit site
My dog has been attacked by 3 times by off lead dogs whilst she has been on the lead and I got scratched legs trying to get the dogs off her 😕 I now carry a wooden chestnut quite tall hiking stick and it has a metal prong at the end I haven’t had to use it to defend us so far but feel a little more safe that it could come in handy if needed ! Hopefully a hiking stick wouldn’t be classed as a weapon? I am on blood thinners so if I got bitten it would be an emergency so feel a tad vulnerable as well

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
It's illegal, I've not seen anyone successfully defend having a knife in public in years locally, even people who said they were out hunting, you can't have one rule for a kid on an estate and another rule for a woman with a small dog, and when it comes down to it most people wouldn't have it in them to do what is necessary to dispatch a dog with a knife, either stomach, skill or strength, and you'd be putting yourself in the position to get badly bitten as you'd have to get so close.
Injuring it superficially would probably just antagonise it.

Better off with a long stick/something visual.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I've already mentioned that my friend's son was bitten on the face by a Golden Retriever he'd known it's whole life when they (he and the owner and some pals) came in from a night on the town, he needed plastic surgery, it's a risk with any dog.

Last edited: