Another fatal dog attack

stangs

Visit site
Not to dismiss what happened to that toddler, but, reading the DM report, the incident sounds quite controlled compared to other recent attacks. Only one bite from the sounds of it, and owner clearly got it under control quite quickly. Very atypical.

As regards the owner walking away with the dog afterwards, I can't condone it. However, would people want a dog who's just bitten someone to stay in a place where there's people screaming, and high stress levels all around? Best for the dog - which, in turn means there's a lower risk of it trying to go again and hurting someone else - to remove it from the situation.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
don't worry it's not English. The pics are well??? some of the comments even worse. :rolleyes:

still I suppose they look sweet.

Those pics are so scarey, I have had dogs all of my life and wouldn’t allow young children to manhandle any dog, even a small one could scar them for life … talk about bad parenting

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I think she had a great legal team. She had a dog in the house with her child that is shortly to become a banned breed because they have killed children and adults. I'm sorry, but unless she has just descended from Mars she must have been aware of the capabilities of the breed. Even if it were separated from the child, why would you risk it.

Unfortunately it was another child that paid the price for her inability to restrain the dog

The threat of a prison sentence works as a deterrent, to a lot of people anyway, and if these paltry slap on the wrists are continuously given out, people are not going to think about the consequences of being in charge of an animal that they are not able to prevent harming others.

Find me the current sentencing guidelines which says the judge can send someone straight to jail for their first offence, with an early guilty plea, for a non-fatal incident with no intent, concerning a dog they didn't own.

Judges can't just pull sentences out of a lucky bag, based on emotion. They can only deal with the facts and circumstances presented to them and then apply the guidelines.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Not to dismiss what happened to that toddler, but, reading the DM report, the incident sounds quite controlled compared to other recent attacks. Only one bite from the sounds of it, and owner clearly got it under control quite quickly. Very atypical.

As regards the owner walking away with the dog afterwards, I can't condone it. However, would people want a dog who's just bitten someone to stay in a place where there's people screaming, and high stress levels all around? Best for the dog - which, in turn means there's a lower risk of it trying to go again and hurting someone else - to remove it from the situation.

Attachments

• 1696364065450.png
    1696364065450.png
    160.6 KB · Views: 22

stangs

Visit site
Follow up on the Lambeth attack in June

As several people on this thread expected, one of the dogs, perhaps the fawn dog, fit the pit type and has now been PTS. If only we could ban the breed... Oh wait
The other two dogs will now be in kennels for God only knows how long.

Notably, this article says that the dogs were handed in voluntarily on the 7th. Most of the articles written about the case at the time were written on the 8th and 9th, after the social media footage went viral, and they all cite a Met Police spokesperson saying "The man in charge of the dogs had left with the animals prior to police arrival. Enquires are in hand to trace the dogs and owner." So why would the police not update the press that the dogs had been voluntarily handed in?

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site

As several people on this thread expected, one of the dogs, perhaps the fawn dog, fit the pit type and has now been PTS. If only we could ban the breed... Oh wait

Notably, this article says that the dogs were handed in voluntarily on the 7th. Most of the articles written about the case at the time were written on the 8th and 9th, after the social media footage went viral, and they all cite a Met Police spokesperson saying "The man in charge of the dogs had left with the animals prior to police arrival. Enquires are in hand to trace the dogs and owner." So why would the police not update the press that the dogs had been voluntarily handed in?
I very much suspect they weren't handed in to the officers handling the case.

She was attacked on the 6th, I dare say it made local news by the evening of the 6th, man hands dog in, who knows who to? Who knows what he said about it? That was the 7th. Perfectly possible the press office didn't know until after the reports broke.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Last edited:

maisie06

Visit site
don't worry it's not English. The pics are well??? some of the comments even worse. :rolleyes:

still I suppose they look sweet.

This is exactly the sort of people who should NOT own any breed of dog and exactly the sort that seem to gravitate towards Bully breeds - Darwin at it's finest.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
Victim has died.

ETA https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-67004053
Poor chap had apparently bent over to pick up his Patterdale puppy and the XL grabbed his neck. He stood no chance. The dog had previously attacked at least two other dogs. Been reported but no action taken.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
What's the point of kenneling them? Just pts.

Kennels aren't the greatest long term thing for a dog, and I doubt that they're being exercised, handled correctly, or treated humanely. They'll probably be even more f*cked by that experience. Just euthanise. Also less cost and labour over time.
The one was euthanised, the other is in kennels I believe.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
What's the point of kenneling them? Just pts.

Kennels aren't the greatest long term thing for a dog, and I doubt that they're being exercised, handled correctly, or treated humanely. They'll probably be even more f*cked by that experience. Just euthanise. Also less cost and labour over time.

I can’t understand why it takes so long to decide to PTS , it’s not fair on the dogs IMO even though they might be aggressive, it’s not the dogs fault so they shouldn’t be kept in kennels for months . The dog who attacked was shot at the scene so he is better off

Clodagh

Visit site
He had 3 out of control dogs who attacked a woman in a park and he fled the scene before Police arrived.

So your point is? That he handed them in after the attack was plastered all over social media?
In addition to reiterating that they are not a breed of dog you can restrain if it feels like killing someone.

skinnydipper

Visit site

From your posts it is clear that you would like to see BSL scrapped. Pitbulls legalised. Along with Tosa, Dogo Argentino and Fila Brasileiro.

You don't own a dog, you have never owned a dog and you don't plan to own a dog in the near future.

It seems to me that the current legislation need not affect you. When the time is right for you to own a dog, just choose one that isn't on the list of banned breeds and you won't have a problem.

Edited - spelling.

Last edited:

Goldenstar

Visit site

Many things are illegal, I can’t think of anything that’s illegal that nobody does .
Who knows ?

skinnydipper

Visit site
This latest death somehow hit me even more in the feels than the others. I would have done exactly the same.

I would support a charge of murder where a dog over a certain weight has killed someone, and GBH with a weapon where wounded. They are lethal weapons. The current sentences are laughable.

Why over a certain weight? Why not any dog who has killed someone?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
A murder charge won’t stand I imagine. But manslaughter might. Either way let’s hope for a very stiff sentence. Of course, nothing will bring the poor man back.

One on the beach tonight. Which is a first for me for a local one (we saw three in the summer belonging to a tourist couple).

We gave it plenty of space, dogs on leads. But to be fair it was playing fetch very nicely with its owner and walked off the beach on a beautifully loose lead to heal. There are clearly some responsible owners out there.