Another fatal dog attack

Smitty

Visit site
Reposted link. Is it working now?
I had seen this one a couple of days ago. The dog, in the piece I saw, was eating a chunk of the flesh it had bitten off according to the father. I have no idea what that would be like. Just beyond awful.

But your link had a report of an attack on a man and woman in Coventry on Thurs 28th. Apparently dog was tasered and put in wheelie bin and later destroyed.

Vanessa Phelps did an interview with a Bully advocate very recently, it's on You Tube, where the woman said that the reason the dogs were not taken on the march/demo thing last weekend was because the police might taser them and put them in a bin 🙄. Umm ....

skinnydipper

Visit site
There's been another attack by a bull breed dog not a million miles from us in Dundee.

Apparently the victim watched as the dog ate her thumb after it had chewed it off.

Not sure how to post a link.

Piglet?

She kept the dog who ate her thumb earlier this month and it then went on to attack her husband.

Like you would keep a dog that had eaten your thumb ?? !! o_O

Last edited:

SilverLinings

Visit site
I'm not sure if it says a lot about the breed or the owners, but I had thought that the threat of a ban would mean that attacks would have dropped (at least slightly) over the last few weeks as owners would be taking more trouble to avoid their XL Bullys getting any kind of bad reputation that would further 'demonise' the breed or lead to demands for their own dog to be destroyed.

It certainly doesn't feel like there has been any reduction, and the attacks I have read about have all been bad enough that I think they would have been reported by the press even if a ban wasn't imminent, so it's not as though we are only hearing about them because of the timing.

fankino04

Visit site
Honestly do these dogs have a chip in them that someone has just activated!! It feels like I'm hearing about a new attack daily at the moment, and as for that idiot in Dundee, really keeping a dog like that which has already bitten your thumb off and been aggressive to friends, well words fail me, then I the article he says you can't lump them all in together, they're not all bad dogs and his attack shows that things can just happen out of the blue!!!

CrunchieBoi

Visit site
Piglet?

She kept the dog who ate her thumb earlier this month and it then went on to attack her husband.

That's the one!

Smitty

Visit site
Honestly do these dogs have a chip in them that someone has just activated!! It feels like I'm hearing about a new attack daily at the moment, and as for that idiot in Dundee, really keeping a dog like that which has already bitten your thumb off and been aggressive to friends, well words fail me, then I the article he says you can't lump them all in together, they're not all bad dogs and his attack shows that things can just happen out of the blue!!!
I think there are way more on the ground now. And they are older. The ban will make very little difference I'm sorry to say.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
then I the article he says you can't lump them all in together, they're not all bad dogs and his attack shows that things can just happen out of the blue!!!

I noticed that! What sort of IQ do these people have?:eek: In one breath he says you can't lump them all together but then goes on to say these attacks can come out of the blue!!! Give me strength!:rolleyes:

SilverLinings

Visit site
I noticed that! What sort of IQ do these people have?:eek: In one breath he says you can't lump them all together but then goes on to say these attacks can come out of the blue!!! Give me strength!:rolleyes:

Exactly @Mrs. Jingle, the second part of his sentence completely contradicts the first part!

George added: “Not every dog can be lumped in together. They’re not all bad. This shows things can happen out of the blue.”

The fact that it seems to be so common for this breed to snap/attack 'out of the blue' is what makes them so dangerous, as how can you predict which dog will snap and when it will happen/what the trigger will be?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I was in Brighton at the weekend and saw one being walked near my brothers house. It was with a woman who was (I’d say) early thirties. Muzzled and walking beautifully on the lead. It had two leads - one on a harness, one on the collar- so a real belts and braces job. I can only assume that she was being ultra conscientious because there was nothing about the pair that gave off alarm bells.

Chucho

Visit site
It seems most owner's lived experiences of these dogs is that they are lovely to be around the majority of the time. That is why they continue to be popular and why people describe their surprise when something bad happens. I think it is wrong to dismiss peoples experiences as invalid - a dog can be lovely to live with and incredibly dangerous, the two aren't mutually exclusive. Anyone who has ever had a reactive dog of any breed experiences that duality. And the fact that they spend more time being lovely to be with than not explains why some owners are getting extremely defensive about their right to own them. Owners say things happen out of the blue, but that most likely means they can't read dog body language/the dogs signals are so subtle they miss them. This is the tragedy of these dogs to me, they probably are good companions in the main, but are too unpredictable/unreadable plus big and therefore more dangerous to be considered safe.

Clodagh

Visit site
It seems most owner's lived experiences of these dogs is that they are lovely to be around the majority of the time. That is why they continue to be popular and why people describe their surprise when something bad happens. I think it is wrong to dismiss peoples experiences as invalid - a dog can be lovely to live with and incredibly dangerous, the two aren't mutually exclusive. Anyone who has ever had a reactive dog of any breed experiences that duality. And the fact that they spend more time being lovely to be with than not explains why some owners are getting extremely defensive about their right to own them. Owners say things happen out of the blue, but that most likely means they can't read dog body language/the dogs signals are so subtle they miss them. This is the tragedy of these dogs to me, they probably are good companions in the main, but are too unpredictable/unreadable plus big and therefore more dangerous to be considered safe.
I agree that I imagine there are plenty of signals being given off and the owners are oblivious. Tbh if they kill their owners I don’t have a problem with that, it’s when they kill next doors child or the dog down the road.

Morwenna

Visit site
Piglet?

You really can’t legislate for stupidity…..

Quigleyandme

Visit site
Why are these prison sentences so inconsequential and why are they suspended? This woman allowed the dog to savage a child and did stuff all to mitigate the injuries he sustained. Losing your dog and performing less than two weeks of unpaid work doesn’t seem like much of a punishment for visible and invisible injuries this little boy will have for life.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Why are these prison sentences so inconsequential and why are they suspended? This woman allowed the dog to savage a child and did stuff all to mitigate the injuries he sustained. Losing your dog and performing less than two weeks of unpaid work doesn’t seem like much of a punishment for visible and invisible injuries this little boy will have for life.

She didn't own the dog she was dog sitting for a boyfriend. I expect allowance was made for the fact she had no idea the dog could behave that way. She got a 25% discount on the sentence for pleading guilty and preventing the necessity for a trial.

Prison doesn't work, except to take repeat criminals of the street for a time and satisfy an understandable public desire for retribution. She isn't going to commit this crime again, putting her in prison would cost a fortune and serve no purpose except retribution, which she'll get plenty of in her community.

I would have liked to see her have a long curfew, though, right over Christmas.

Last edited:

Smitty

Visit site
She didn't own the dog she was dog sitting for a boyfriend. I expect allowance was made for the fact she had no idea the dog could behave that way. She got a 25% discount on the sentence for pleading guilty and preventing the necessity for a trial.

Prison doesn't work, except to take repeat criminals of the street for a time and satisfy an understandable public desire for retribution. She isn't going to commit this crime again, putting her in prison would cost a fortune and serve no purpose except retribution, which she'll get plenty of in her community.

I would have liked to see her have a long curfew, though, right over Christmas.
I think she had a great legal team. She had a dog in the house with her child that is shortly to become a banned breed because they have killed children and adults. I'm sorry, but unless she has just descended from Mars she must have been aware of the capabilities of the breed. Even if it were separated from the child, why would you risk it.

Unfortunately it was another child that paid the price for her inability to restrain the dog

The threat of a prison sentence works as a deterrent, to a lot of people anyway, and if these paltry slap on the wrists are continuously given out, people are not going to think about the consequences of being in charge of an animal that they are not able to prevent harming others.