Another loose dog incident at an event. Time to ban dogs?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
As it is the competitors who are in danger from the occasional loose dog (that is what this thread is about- not dogs just being at events and whether the dog enjoys it), as BE has asked the competitors and the majority voted yes, dogs should be allowed, surely any'general public should be respectful of what competitors want - a lot of horse trials have attached country fairs with lurcher and terrier shows. Or a dog show is organised to raise funds... if you dont like dogs or horses dont go to a country event!!

The vote was a majority, not unanimous. People are being faced with a choice of not competing, or competing with a risk they voted not to take, of being chased by a dog on the XC.

It baffles me the insurers will cover it, there's so much evidence that it's a known risk of a life changing/ending incident.

Reactions: TPO

paddy555

Visit site
With regards to dogs slipping collars, in over 60 years I have never known a dog slip a chain check collar, .

I hadn't either so it came as a complete shock when mine did. He was younger then but even so I felt slipping it was impossible. He had no harness just a lead to the collar and, to take him up the road to visit a friend, I put the check chain on as backup. We got to their door, friend was talking to my excited young dog and he slipped the chain. Fortunately my friend was very experienced with GSDs, saw what had happened and grabbed him immediately.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I attend Bramham on a stand with my dog, a greyhound on the Retired Greyhound stand. The number of dogs not on leads walking around the trade stands is very noticable. Many dogs are obviously not happy and some are downright knackered. The owners of these dogs are not thinking about their pets welfare at all and they are fashion accessories/status symbols only. To me the dogs should have been left at home.
This is what I mostly see, too.

The dogs might start the day enthusiastically enough, but by lunchtime most seem to have enough. The owners are oblivious, though, and the dog gets dragged round for the rest of a long day.

Grassy

Visit site
I attend Bramham on a stand with my dog, a greyhound on the Retired Greyhound stand. The number of dogs not on leads walking around the trade stands is very noticable. Many dogs are obviously not happy and some are downright knackered. The owners of these dogs are not thinking about their pets welfare at all and they are fashion accessories/status symbols only. To me the dogs should have been left at home.

But if there was a ban on dogs then presumably it’s all dogs? Therefore no more retired greyhounds? I take my dog with me to my tradestand too. I agree with you at the bigger events, some dogs look fed up dragging round the shops & that’s something I wouldn’t do. We are at the smaller events & its easy to walk him away from people & the course.

Upthecreek

Visit site
ETS: how many of you are on yards that don't allow dogs?

I’m not but I wish I was. Fed up with them peeing on my stuff, running off with it & if you forget to shut your stable door when you take your horse out there is a good chance there will be a fresh dog turd on the straw when you get back. A dog got kicked in the face by a mare tied up on the yard last week and the owner complained about it..... she was nowhere near her dog at the time.

I am a dog lover, but I don’t think that paying livery for my horses entitles me to take my dogs to the yard and let them free range. It’s wrong. Not all horses are good with dogs around their legs. Also not all horse owners like dogs so why should they have to put up with them on a horse livery yard?

As for dogs at events it’s just too risky because there are so many irresponsible dog owners. You could say it’s the minority that spoil it for everyone else, but it’s a large minority. And why people want to drag dogs around the shopping areas at large events just baffles me. The poor animals get trod on & leads get tangled - absolute chaos!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Can dog owners have 3rd party liability as I do for my horse?

Everyone should have 3rd party liability if they possibly can. It's on most house insurance policies.

Better not to allow your dog to cause any injury in the first place though.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Are people conflating loose dogs and the dangers they pose, with what they believe about other people's dogs and whether they should be taken to places that some posters don't like seeing dogs?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Are people conflating loose dogs and the dangers they pose, with what they believe about other people's dogs and whether they should be taken to places that some posters don't like seeing dogs?
no, don't think so. I think the conversation sort of got steered away to general comments about dogs being around horses and the whys and wherefores, but the central point still remains that it's probably just a matter of time before a loose dog (trailing a lead or not) causes an accident at a horse trials.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I don't see why there couldn't be different rules for competitors/stall holders and random members of the public, all with the aim of not having loose dogs on a live XC course.
I fully agree that the important thing is not having dogs allowed near a live XC course.

I am, however, concerned that this may cause some dogs to be left unattended in potentially hot vehicles, though, which is why I’d still personally favour a full ban.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm sure at one point the bath and west had a no dogs rule (going back 10 years +) and they did then have the issue of people not realising and leaving their dogs in the car park.
It might have been somewhere else but I normally remember these things quite well.

catkin

Visit site
It might be part of household insurance, but yes you can get pretty comprehensive insurance for dogs, at a price.

Can any legal bods reading this answer a question?
Is the legal situation the same for dogs as for horses - ie strict liability on the owners?
If so there could be some very scary consequences for dog-owners if insurance cover ain't up to scratch.

neddy man

Visit site
Interesting, do all you people who f/j and spectate at xc and have dogs do you not work part or full time so never leave your dog for more than a couple of hours except to go shopping or out for a meal / drink. Do all the people attending the county shows (guess 40% horse owners 40% farmers 20% other ) HOYS Olympia Hickstead etc. (99% horse owners ) not own dogs? Would all the dog owners not attend their son's/ daughter's wedding brothers/ sisters 21/ 30 / 50 birthday celebrations parents silver/ golden wedding anniversary etc. because they couldn't leave the dog for more than a couple of hours? How do you find time to see to and ride your horse without leaving the dog for a couple of hours?

Last edited:

honetpot

Visit site
Interesting, do all you people who f/j and spectate at xc and have dogs do you not work part or full time so never leave your dog for more than a couple of hours except to go shopping or out for a meal / drink. Do all the people attending the county shows (guess 40% horse owners 40% farmers 20% other ) HOYS Olympia Hickstead etc. (99% horse owners ) not own dogs so have umpteen hours a day spare? Would all the dog owners not attend their son's/ daughter's wedding brothers/ sisters 21/ 30 / 50 birthday celebrations parents silver/ golden wedding anniversary etc. because they couldn't leave the dog for more than a couple of hours?

Our family events revolve around the dogs, in forty years of marriage they have been in kennels once. Our work has always been staggered so its very rare there is not someone at home. Our first dog had separation anxiety, so leaving it more than half an hour led to holes in various things. So yes if the dog couldn't go or be looked after by a close family member I would rather not go, I wouldn't enjoy it. The dogs will probably be at my daughters wedding and reception somewhere, as will be my other daughters dog.

honetpot

Visit site
Can any legal bods reading this answer a question?
Is the legal situation the same for dogs as for horses - ie strict liability on the owners?
If so there could be some very scary consequences for dog-owners if insurance cover ain't up to scratch.
I think you are responsible for your dog anywhere, apart from if it bites a burglar in your house.
https://www.doglaw.co.uk/damage-claims/

neddy man

Visit site
Our family events revolve around the dogs, in forty years of marriage they have been in kennels once. Our work has always been staggered so its very rare there is not someone at home. Our first dog had separation anxiety, so leaving it more than half an hour led to holes in various things. So yes if the dog couldn't go or be looked after by a close family member I would rather not go, I wouldn't enjoy it. The dogs will probably be at my daughters wedding and reception somewhere, as will be my other daughters dog.
We have 2 dogs 1 cat and 3 horses on DIY livery, at the mo we both work p/t but even when f/t we managed to get to spectate at 3 +1 day events local xc etc county shows Hickstead hoys etc. Compete dressage xc and s/j and showing and hunting yes it can be done but so many are making out that they cant without taking their dogs.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We have 2 dogs 1 cat and 3 horses on DIY livery, at the mo we both work p/t but even when f/t we managed to get to spectate at 3 +1 day events local xc etc county shows Hickstead hoys etc. Compete dressage xc and s/j and showing and hunting yes it can be done but so many are making out that they cant without taking their dogs.
It is not that people are saying they can't attend without taking their dogs, but that they will choose not to attend if dogs are banned.

Fred66

Visit site
It is not that people are saying they can't attend without taking their dogs, but that they will choose not to attend if dogs are banned.
This!!
By becoming a dog owner we made a commitment and to me that commitment includes spending time with it. When working if we are both working full days I either come home at lunchtime to walk it or arrange to wfh for part of the day.
During weekends we again don’t leave them for more than around 4-5hrs, if we are going somewhere we can’t take the dogs and will be away longer then we arrange for someone to walk them and keep them company. As we don’t like to abuse goodwill then we try to limit these occasions and volunteering or going to a BE event would not warrant using up goodwill.
So if dogs are banned then we would only go to BE events within an hour of home and only stay for a couple of hours unless it was Badminton or Burghley or similar where it might warrant using up some goodwill.
Dogs are pack animals and boredom and loneliness can cause behavioural issues.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
But if there was a ban on dogs then presumably it’s all dogs? Therefore no more retired greyhounds? I take my dog with me to my tradestand too. I agree with you at the bigger events, some dogs look fed up dragging round the shops & that’s something I wouldn’t do. We are at the smaller events & its easy to walk him away from people & the course.
Dogs are allowed on the Retired Greyhound stand at the Great Yorkshire Show but no one is allowed to take a dog to the show. The dogs get issued with a pass and have to stay on the stand in pens, we take them out of the show for comfort breaks every few hours. The stand is not very far from an entrance.

TPO

Visit site

But no one is saying that anyone HAS to go. I honestly dont understand what sort of argument you and others are trying to put forward as reasons why having dogs at events, specifically XC, is in any way advantageous to BE or in a way trumps the real risk that loose dogs pose to competitors.

There is a serious risk to life with loose dogs. Of course everyone had well trained dogs suitably restrained yet it is still a regular occurrence that dogs get loose and some.of them chases horses in course.

There is absolutely no one saying that if a ban is put in place that you still have to go regardless of if you are a competitor, spectator or trade stand owner/worker. The choice is yours to make.

You may not be happy if that ruling was put in place but no one has put forward any reasons as to why them taking their pets on days out is more important than the risk that dogs are posing.

No one can deny the real risk that loose dogs pose. Dogs can only be loose if someone brings them onto the site.

Theres lots of things I would like to do but there are rules saying I cant so I cut my cloth to fit. Theres things I've wanted to do and places I've wanted to go but havent because of other choices that I've made. I'm adult, that's life and my choices. Just because it conveniences me wouldnt be a reason for me to place my wants over someone else's life.