ANOTHER Parelli video

LauraWheeler

Visit site
The ONLY 100% successful method of loading an unwilling horse I have ever witnessed is basically what Parelli does.

I'm not shore if you know about my pony Herbie. I bought him In Nov 2009 from a Parelli home. He had been to parelli trainers and no one could work with him. He was agressive and dangourous. I'm damn shore he wasn't like this before parelli as the woman I bought him off paid £1500 for just him and I paid £550 inclu all tack and rugs ect... He had many many issues when he arrived and yes one was loading.
Taking your time and having lots of patients works wonders.
[youtube]Q7aMeS-_ojs&tracker=False[/youtube]

[youtube]94rJSFLq9tg&tracker=False[/youtube]

[youtube]6ngsSUkroU8&tracker=False[/youtube]

Oh yes and don't forget lots of praise when they are good :p :D :D :D
[youtube]8QMUp7YHP9Q&tracker=False[/youtube]

Just look at how cleaver he is now :D :D :D

[youtube]5RKEqv7ivTk&tracker=False[/youtube]

Parelli the only method that works :rolleyes: ;) :p :D :D There is no quick fix to working with problem horses and every horse is diffrent but there is NEVER anyneed to use agression and brute force to handle horses. The only thing Parelli achieves is making the horse more scared of you than it is of anything else and that to me is not a true bond. I'm sorry but this is how I feel. One day they'll come across a pony like Herbs who won't stand for there S**t. Although they probably have but won't tell anyone it's happened because as we all know Parelli works for EVERY horse :rolleyes:

AndySpooner

Visit site
Still don't see what was so wrong with the method used to get the horse into the trailer to be honest. No hitting, no violence..........

Yes the horse turned round and left at the end, but it chose to go in the trailer, and probably would do time and time again.

I'm leaving this now because HHO is a very famous Parelli hating community and as such I rarely admit to being even remotely interested in his methods for fear of being jumped on by you all as a horse abuser.....!

Not everyone here is anti Parelli, there are quite a few though, lol. Ignore the stupid and idiotic comments of the real anti's, there are a lot of pro Parelli people on the site, just don't be bullied into leaving.

Milanesa

Visit site
hey all,

I can't understand how equine enthusiasts can actually agree with this method of training. It is basically scaring the horse and being brutal to get it to do things. This is not horsemanship and it should not be used! Horse's are sensitive, and building up trust and a rappor with your horse gets you the best results IMO.

This apparent training technique is absolutely unneccessary, and i can imagine how so may horses come back far worse...in the video the little white horse is getting worse as that lovely lady continues to thrash the rope around his little head...it is cruel and not how horses should be trained. A horse should be treated with respect and kindness, there is NO WAY on earth i would ever let any horse of mine go through this ridiculous and cruel trainign approach...fans of parelli pls explain why?? Common sense and kindness should always prevail in training ,whatever the animal involved.

Feathered

Visit site
Lovely vids Laura, well done you! I bet you wouldn't have had that success by waving ropes and sticks at him.
A bit of patience and pony nuts can work wonders :)

Ps your cameraman sounds like John Francome!

Amaranta

Visit site
I'm just not so sure that I can jump on this Parelli hating bandwagon to be honest, based on the videos posted at any rate.

The next time someone suggests a chifney for a bad leader or loader, or gives advice that a be nice or dually halter might help a youngster that is getting bolshy to lead, I'd ask you to consider how cruel these methods are in the hands of a novice. How dangerous is it when a horse does not respect your space and walks all over you? What do you do about it?

The ONLY 100% successful method of loading an unwilling horse I have ever witnessed is basically what Parelli does.

I'm not a disciple by any means, but I have done a course to find out about it, and I didn't find it so appalling or frightening that I have to attack it at every opportunity. I find it a bit odd that people do - I've never met anyone that has been on a course that hates it. Seems to be people that have a little knowledge that bash it relentlessly.

True - it's a money making machine. True - novices find it hard and often get it wrong. I think we could lump most equine disciplines under the same two generalities if we try hard enough.

Sorry I completely disagree with the statement that the Parelli method is the only one that works. There is NO substitute for patience. I have had one or two horses in my lifetime and have had to teach several to load, quietly and patiently. All without fail became good loaders.

It is this 'only Parelli methods will work' attitude that alienates people tbh.

Amaranta

Visit site
Not everyone here is anti Parelli, there are quite a few though, lol. Ignore the stupid and idiotic comments of the real anti's, there are a lot of pro Parelli people on the site, just don't be bullied into leaving.

There you go again with the intelligent arguments! Calling people stupid and idiotic is doing nothing for your cause!

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
My god you have been blinded haven't you Andy Spooner...?! Try watching the videos posted and then explain to me how it's all done for the good of the horse.

They are just money grabbing charlatans...

Sadiemay

Visit site
DISGUSTING! :mad:

These two idiots make me sick to my stomach and have NO place around horses or any animal.

If I saw someone at my yard doing some of the things shown in the video clips I would be intervening as its abusive, agressive and intimidating behaviour. THAT will never be good horsemanship.

You can dress it up all you like but that is what it is.

I will never ever understand or agree with these methods, not in a million years :rolleyes:

Last edited:

dibbin

Visit site
Poor horse :( it walks beside her, LP flaps the rope in its face, it (understandably) backs right off, so she yanks at it ...

How is that teaching the horse anything other than "humans are bl**dy scary"?!

parelligirl

Visit site
the big problem is...

Is that most of you on here are very set in your ways and you do not WANT to learn more or be open.

I would invite you to watch my horse and I at liberty - type into youtube:

"Jodie & Bouncer Playing at Liberty Feb 2011"

With any training methods... there are good parts that i agree with.. and some i do not agree with.

I take from it what i feel is best for me and my horse - and the road ive taken and the education ive gained is right... FOR ME AND MY HORSE

Remember... it works for some and not for others.... As a parelli student to say that i would invite you all to not curse something down to the ground if it works for other people.

I dont like draw reins, market harbours etc... but if others want to use them thats their way... but this is my way and my horse and I are happy

Just like if you saw a top rider do something you didnt like... would you go and do it to your horse just because they done it? Same as me... if Pat or Linda do something i dont like the look of it doesnt mean i go and do it to my horse

Please try and be open and not so nasty about it

Thanks
xx

joeanne

Visit site
the big problem is...

Is that most of you on here are very set in your ways and you do not WANT to learn more or be open.

I am not set in my ways at all. If being open to learning involves smacking a horse around the head with a leadrope clip then I'm afraid i'll stay in the "uneducated" ranks.....

Any aid/control device is only as good as the hands using it......Parrelli's hands are far from gentle enough IMO to be given the use of anything equine related!

parelligirl

Visit site
I completely agree... So why would people who practise parelli have to be tarnished with the same brush?

Ultimately the "carrot stick" we use is a peice of fibreglass.. What would be the difference in a baseball bat or a cricket bat?

I on the other hand do whats best for my horse - It would be nice to come to this forum and not feel like im doing something wrong.

Im very shocked and surprised at how much people are so closed doors.

Milanesa

Visit site
i am sure there are a few methods that are not lead rope flapping and hitting with sticks, and yes all training methods vary- i too am not a fan of draw reins etc if in the wrong hands..but you cannot seriously compare a set of draw reins to the ridiculous methods seen in many of these parelli videos..i haven't watched your video so i cannot comment on that, sorry. However i have seen some parelli videos, and none of these methods are 'training' a horse; in my opinion it is not training a horse to change directions by using a long stick and hitting it in the face until it stops and changes direction, and then again and again and again...it is completely unnessary and i'm sorry but i cannot believe horse lovers would use these particular techniques...

parelligirl

Visit site
I appreciate your comments - really i do.

My horse is very sensitive - i have never had to get to a very high phase with my horse

Please enjoy my video - Hopefully my relationship with my horse will speak for itself.

If it doesnt - feel free to ask me questions and i will try my best to answer.

Thanks,

paddi22

Visit site
i don't understand the waving the lungerope around him, whats that about? is it a desensitising thing?

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
Lol set in my ways - hardly - with horses you never stop learning and as I have an enquiring mind I'm always looking for different ways to tackle things. Luckily my mare doesn't really have issues because she was trained well from the start (and no I didn't use whips or severe bits etc!) and I was always sympathetic when dealing with anything that wasn't allowed that cropped up.

She was in no way perfect to bring on and tried a few tricks to evade having to do what I asked (she is a very strong willed red head :)) but patience and craftyness got the issues sorted before they became ingrained. An example was when she didn't want to do something she would go up but as soon as she did that I turned her in a circle and it was all over in a second and 'nice' horse was back again. And no it wasn't a pain or tiredness issue - she was being naughty.

The best one was when I asked her to change rein whilst being lunged and she didn't want to. It was just sheer pig headedness and she threw herself on the sand and lay there. When I didn't react the cheeky mare lifted her head and looked at me as if to say 'what are you going to do now'. I just waited til she got up again - she got bored before I did and she had to endure the other human liveries laughing at her :) Never did it again either.

She's a lovely mare now and the naughtyness didn't last long but patience was the key and no shortcuts.

I hate to think how Pat or Linda would have dealt with her attitude!!

Sadiemay

Visit site
I am not set in my ways but thanks for the asumption :rolleyes:

I can see nothing good about the Pareilli method or anything that makes it any better than good old fashioned patience and trust building.

Yes horses are big powerful creatures who need to know boundries for their own safety and those around/handling them but my god Parelli is not the way to do it if you want a happy horse IMHO.

If to scare, intimidate and at worst abuse a horse in submission is called being open and wanting to learn more then I'll stick with what I know and what works if its all the same to you ;)

parelligirl

Visit site
We learn to throw ropes over horses backs etc just as a simulation

That stick and rope might be a saddle one day going up over a horses back? A rug? A plastic bag blowing in the wind whilst your hacking out?

I was very lucky one day when my horse accidently went through some electric fencing rope that was laying on the ground in a field at an old yard. Because ive taught him to stand and relax whilst things are wrapped around his legs, body, head etc he stood and waited for me to go to him up the field rather than being paniced, running through the pressure on his legs which would have most likely tighted and possibly cut his legs.

If this has happened to anyone who doesnt do parelli - Yay thats brilliant your horses is already in a great mind set - but my horse used to panic very easily and would have most likely run through that wire.

So really its just preparing for the worst that can happen but hoping for the best :)

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
Why not just use a surcingle then? You don't need to 'throw' things on a horse's back to get it ready for a saddle. What's wrong with common sense backing and bringing on? If things are done quietly and sensibly then 'tricks' aren't needed. I just don't get it - maybe I'm being thick ;-P

jsr

Visit site
:confused: My horse will stand and relax with things round his legs...nowt to do with some fancy training it's called a chilled, relaxed and confident horse and coming to me at 3 blind in one eye and skin and bone that's something I'm proud of. I don't need someone preaching their single minded methods and often cruel handling idea's to teach me, I'll learn from those around me who are interested in the animal and not the profit margin.

I'm most certainly not closed minded thanks but sensible enough to realise that each animal requires various different methods to handle and teach and for someone who obviously is extreamly brainwashed to 'Mr' P's methods to imply I'm otherwise is a joke.

Next thing you'll be saying Cesar Milan is the god of dog training? :D

parelligirl

Visit site
What if i didnt have a sursingle

What did people use before a sursingle was invented?

Its not about the rope, or the saddle, or the rug - or anything!

Its preparing the horse for anything in any situation

Its about having a converstaion with your horse to say "im about to do this... so i would like you to act and behave like a partner... not a wild animal and fly from fear"

The games for me are just a bonus - my horse and I run around and have fun together if i cant be bothered to ride.

And i still ride traditionally... I do dressage etc have lessons all the time with an instructor

But i do Parelli for fun because my horse and I can communicate (not saying we couldnt before because many of you can communicate with your horses in your own ways) but we get to have fun, he plays with me like another horse running around, but i always keep him in check by stopping a game before legs go flying... Im not that much of a horse to buck with him lol!

And please also let me tell you all - im not sure what parelli people you have had on here before... but in no way is "my" way... the "right" way.

What you all do with your horses is great and thumbs up if it works for you all.

But I wanted to have fun with my horse in this way.. so i shouldnt be punished for doing what I like doing... Just like you others shouldnt be punished for what you all want to do and what your all doing :)

Hope that makes sence

Regards,

parelligirl

Visit site
:confused: My horse will stand and relax with things round his legs...nowt to do with some fancy training it's called a chilled, relaxed and confident horse and coming to me at 3 blind in one eye and skin and bone that's something I'm proud of.

As i said in my previous post - Congratulations - this is great that you can already do this!

Some people arent lucky enough to have a horse like yours.

Please appreciate that I like to prepare for the worst in situations. If your horse is already bold and confident enough to not panic is most situations then it doesnt mean that everybody elses horses are like that.

Thanks,

jsr

Visit site
Personally I allow my horse to 'play' with other horses. :rolleyes: I'm all for enjoying your horse but seriously he's a horse and your're a person and I'm pretty damn sure he'd much rather be out in a field acting as naturally as he can with his equine pals than pratting about with some woman in a sand school. :confused:

Think I'll go home and get the dogs on the Wii.

LauraWheeler

Visit site
Lovely vids Laura, well done you! I bet you wouldn't have had that success by waving ropes and sticks at him.
A bit of patience and pony nuts can work wonders :)

Ps your cameraman sounds like John Francome!

LOL :p :D :D and thankyou. I don't have any fottage of what he was like before but if you can imagen a wild pony thrashing around and a woman almost getting her head kicked in (He litraly only missed by mm with both back legs :eek:) You'll see what waving ropes and sticks would get you with Herbie.

parelligirl I think I have seen your videos before and for the record I don't think all parelli people are evil ;) what I realy realy hate is when they say parelli is the ONLY way to work with horses and Parelli will work with EVERY horse. Herbie is living proof it is not true. If I hadn't have taken him on he would have gone for meat. Parelli messed this poor little man up. I have known horses Parelli has worked for but I choose to think for myself. I deal with alot of problem horses and I deal with each one in a different way. Basicaly whichever one suites them best.
My old mare and I had an amazing bond. I could do everything you describe with your horse with her. I could ride her bareback and bridless and trusted her with my life.
If this has happened to anyone who doesnt do parelli - Yay thats brilliant your horses is already in a great mind set
Was I that lucky no. When I first got her she was so aggressive you couldn't even go in the field with her. As soon as you set foot in the field she would attack you :( It took a long long time to gain her trust but she turned out to be the most amazing mare in the world and I had never even heard of Parelli back then. All i'm saying is there are other ways to achieve what some people claim only parelli can achieve. I am open minded and willing to try new things but I have the best teacher you could have. The HORSE. :)

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
Out of interest Parelli girl what is your take on the awful videos of Pat and Linda basically confusing and intimidating horses? I am genuinely interested.

Oh and numnahs made a good starting point for saddles but so does using a towel if you don't have a numnah either. There are always alternatives.

I'm glad you are happy with the way these games work with your horse and I get the feeling you are miles apart from the way Pat and Linda operate but after seeing the videos surely you can understand the backlash on here?

parelligirl

Visit site
Personally I allow my horse to 'play' with other horses. :rolleyes: I'm all for enjoying your horse but seriously he's a horse and your're a person and I'm pretty damn sure he'd much rather be out in a field acting as naturally as he can with his equine pals than pratting about with some woman in a sand school. :confused:

Think I'll go home and get the dogs on the Wii.

Yup - And he does play with his friends for at least 13 hours a day... But yes.. im selfish and i would like him to play with me for half an hour. Oh god smite me....

But.. im very lucky that he enjoys playing back.

Thanks,