ANOTHER Parelli video

Natch

Visit site
As a matter of interest, what video was that?

I'm afraid I don't know its title, as it was shown as part of a lecture on my course last week. It wasn't just a one off occurance either; several different handlers were shown to be using the bit (snaffle and/or chifney) in ways which contradicted what AML said (about how sensitive the horse's mouth was, and about pressure and release).

Its not the first time I've seen this with this particular trainer, and I'm certainly not the only one who thinks this about him. :(

digitalangel

Visit site
@ andyspooner - you said this

"I am now more than ever convinced that many horses are subjected to casual institutionalized abuse by folk who know no better, and who think that because the industry condone things it must be right."

*exactly* the same thing can be said for Parelli.

akn102

Visit site
wow - interesting you're all so hung up on carrot sticks etc etc - have you never heard of something called a TWITCH; and for those of you who don't know the reason it causes a release of endorphins is because it causes PAIN!!!!

What about polo ponies - they frankly look like they're tacked up in bondage gear (friends humorous analogy and no she doesn't 'do' parelli at all).....

What about branding - or perhaps we should rename that what it should be called "First degree BURNING" and before anyone tells me that doesn't happen in this country er yes it does go on the BEVA website and you'll see they don't approve of it either and it goes on definitely in the New Forest and I believe Dartmoor as well....

I think we should all have a good look at our own practises before we're so quick off the mark to criticise other peoples!

team barney

Visit site
wow - interesting you're all so hung up on carrot sticks etc etc - have you never heard of something called a TWITCH; and for those of you who don't know the reason it causes a release of endorphins is because it causes PAIN!!!!

Parelli publicly twitched Catwalk, he endorses that kind of behaviour, along with jumping very young foals over solid objects (see link for pic... http://teambarney.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/foal_jump.jpg) and gelding colts at under 2 weeks old.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Ive heard that the parrellis are struggling to fill the event at nec next month and are giving tckets away. Im not surprised.

somethingorother

Visit site

What about polo ponies - they frankly look like they're tacked up in bondage gear (friends humorous analogy and no she doesn't 'do' parelli at all).....

What about branding - or perhaps we should rename that what it should be called "First degree BURNING" and before anyone tells me that doesn't happen in this country er yes it does go on the BEVA website and you'll see they don't approve of it either and it goes on definitely in the New Forest and I believe Dartmoor as well....

I think we should all have a good look at our own practises before we're so quick off the mark to criticise other peoples!

I take offense at this. None of these are my practices. I have NEVER twitched a horse (some people may say i must have only worked with sedate cobs but they would be very wrong), because i agree it causes massive pain which is why endorphins get released. I have obviously never branded a horse or used bondage equipment (haha).

I am quite a 'natural' person, but a horse will get a smack for biting or kicking me, a few hard tugs on the leadrope for rearing or being bolshy, a poke in the chest for invading my space etc. I have never hit a horse in the face with ANYTHING. So i'm already more 'natural' than the parellis and their daily advocation of hitting with basically anything to hand: Whips (sorry, carrot sticks), metal clips and if all else fails with a half blind horse your hand will do.

It's a bit stupid to go on about all the other forms of abuse to horses. There are endless ways to abuse a horse, no one is disputing that. The point at hand is that the Parellis are a blatent example of abuse. Until they take their videos down :rolleyes:

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site

I have to completely disagree regarding te twitch. It looks cruel but some horses love it. We have a cob on our yard that will turn and kick you if you so much as look at him the wrong way. He will not let you do ANYTHING he doesn't like, believe me. That includes clipping, so I twitch him. He has the twitch on around 5 times (for 10 minutes each time with a break inbetween) and stands like a petting pony to have it put back on each time and then drifts off into a dreamy sedated state. However, some horses do not like it and they will soon tell you if it's not for them.

Sandstone1

Visit site
The event at the nec may be very empty as they are giving tickets away for it.
They usally cost arond £90 each so something must be wrong for them to give them away.

Piglet

Visit site
Unable to watch it on my I phone as it won't load due to copyright etc, can only imagine what it is like. TBH a friend of mine does Parelli and the communication, trust and amazing things she has achieved with her horse are absolutely amazing!! I think as with everything there is good and bad, I know lots of professional horsepeople who use excedingly unsightly methods of making their horse jump higher, do advanced dressage movements etc. As I said before - good and bad in all areas.

Pixxie

Visit site
i tend to sit on my hands through these post but having previously seens these videos especially the one of the little grey arab and these videos being passed through time and time again and yet people defending that womans practices horrifies me.

i am the proud owner of a very nervous and timid welsh sec D, Marley. he has been beaten terribly in his past and ive had him 2years and 3 months, 2years of this time he has been turned away. i have done a lot of my own mixture of NH practices (just to prove im not an NH basher just a parelli one :p) to improve his self confidence and self belief. he follows me out of choice, he comes to call often in canter from the top end of a 4 acre field. i havent waved lines in his face, indeed if i did that i fear hed never come near me again as even though we have such a strong bond he is still incredibly headshy. i take great pride in the fact my horse walks by my side because he has learnt to trust me and that it is his choice to do so and the fact he now loads perfectly due to that same trust because he was given time and kindness.

i have never waved a whip in his face, nor over any other part of his body nor waggled a lunge line in his face and well for a horse that previously cowered at the back of his stable terrified and shaking i think we've come a fairly long way.....
IMG_1135-2.jpg
......Parelli is NOT the only way for anything

Natch

Visit site

Well well. Last I heard twitching nobody can quite prove if it causes pain or not, and maybe a little more knowledge of your audience wouldnt go amis before you make such silly claims.

Pixxie

Visit site
thankyou team barney, that means a hell of a lot its been a very long and hard road with him but my god has it been rewarding and hopefully fingers crossed ill be able to reback him this summer....minus carrot sticks :p

team barney

Visit site
thankyou team barney, that means a hell of a lot its been a very long and hard road with him but my god has it been rewarding and hopefully fingers crossed ill be able to reback him this summer....minus carrot sticks :p

I am sure it will go brilliantly, he clearly trusts you :)

No need for carrots sticks when you can use carrots. I've never presented my horses with a carrot stick but I am quite certain they wouldn't be very impressed, plain old carrots are so much better!!!

Pixxie

Visit site
or parsnips :p the clever sod picks them out of his bowl put them on the floor, eats his dinner, puts them back in bowl and then eats them lol

best till last and all that hehe

heeeeey parsnip stick!!! theres a new monkey maker

unbalanced

Visit site
Unable to watch it on my I phone as it won't load due to copyright etc, can only imagine what it is like. TBH a friend of mine does Parelli and the communication, trust and amazing things she has achieved with her horse are absolutely amazing!! I think as with everything there is good and bad, I know lots of professional horsepeople who use excedingly unsightly methods of making their horse jump higher, do advanced dressage movements etc. As I said before - good and bad in all areas.

Well said. I do Parelli and find it very useful. I also take dressage lessons with an excellent classical instructor and find it in keeping with important Parelli principles such as 'put the relationship with your horse first' (eg before a rosette, clear round etc) and 'expect a lot, accept a little, reward the slightest try'. I associate these principles with Parelli but to be honest they reflect good horsemanship whether Parelli, Monty Roberts, classical, BHS, traditional...
We have some Parelli students and an instructor on our yard - as you said Eeyore, some of the things that Parelli people can do are amazing. Some of the things that non-Parelli people can do are amazing. We also have kids at our yard who are not remotely Parelli, not even had many BHS lessons but spend hours patiently teaching their horses to load, long quiet hacks, playing at liberty (well that's what I call it, I think they call it loose schooling but the horse doesn't care) and have horses that follow them around like puppies.
A friend of mine is quite strongly anti-Parelli and a BHS AI. She is a marvelous horsewoman and has successfully rehabilitated a number of abuse/neglect cases to the point where they were safe, happy children's ponies. Riders that she has taught are quite, considerate and respectful of the horse and its experience. She events to a high level. To me she represents all that is right about the BHS and the best of its instructors.
I went showjumping recently and sadly saw people losing their temper with their horses, with each other, kicking, jabbing and even a girl with draw reins tied on. Sadly this was at a BHS riding school (show mostly for liveries and RS clients) and no one intervened. Does this mean the BHS is wrong? No, just that some of its instructors weren't putting the horses first that day.
I think you get good horsemanship and bad horsemanship and either can be traditional or natural.

team barney

Visit site
or parsnips :p the clever sod picks them out of his bowl put them on the floor, eats his dinner, puts them back in bowl and then eats them lol

best till last and all that hehe

heeeeey parsnip stick!!! theres a new monkey maker

Quick off to the pattern office, you may be on the verge of creating a multi million pound international empire of sycophants :p

Love Marley's way of eating his treats, my oldest gobbles his up straight away he likes his favourites first :) My pony just shoves everything down his throat at once, I don't think he even looks before he eats!

Pixxie

Visit site
oh its only the parsnips!!! anything else he just inhales im positive no chewing occurs :p

i think id best get down there quick cant have my idea getting stolen!!!! what about APPLE BALLS????? screw the reebok fitness ones :p