Any thoughts ?

Asha

Visit site
So my new horse isnt right. She is booked into vets for a lameness work up on Thursday but thought id see if you good folk where thinking along the same lines as me

Passed 5 stage vetting back earlier this year, shes only a year under saddle ( apparently, but who knows ) so very green. Weve done loads of hacking, plus some schooling. All good in flatwork clinics when she first arrived. About 2 months bronced doing polework lesson ( i havent ridden her since as hip is bad enough atm ) so shes just hacked out with daughter. Went XC schooling with a pro about a month ago and struggled with correct canter lead at first as she warmed up.
schooled the other day, and she bronced when asked to canter on right rein, fine on left rein.
Popped on lunge and bronced when asked to canter without rider.
Today loose schooled and went onto correct lead a couple of times, but also got it wrong a couple of times too. Going on wrong leg, then disunited and then flying change onto correct lead. Noticeably shorter behind on right rein.
Had physio 3 weeks ago and physio picked up tight on left hind, over C1-C2 and across back over bum .

Genuine mare, who is easy in every way

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear that things are not going smoothly with your new mare, how disappointing for you ☹️.

I'm afraid without looking at her that something in the triumvirate of hocks, hind suspensories and/or SI joints would be high on the suspect list.

Whatever it is, I hope that you soon track it down and can treat it.

Also, a chiro vet check?

Asha

Visit site
Thanks all.
I cant ride until Next year anyway, so fairly relaxed about it at this stage. Im just hoping its something fixable, and something thats not confo/hereditary etc etc. As i love her breeding , and plan was at some point to breed off her. She has the most lovely attitude to life, but i wont breed off her if she has soundness issues.
Im just hoping shes tweaked something .
Fingers crossed for Thursday, as i trust our vets to find out what it is.
i traced the people who brought her over from Ireland, and they said she came over in a terrible state, and needed a good few months to gain some weight.
The other thing the physio found was a sizeable hole in her right pectoral. No pain when touched. Physio wondered if she had been impaled at some point

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I don't know who you use, but Claire at Wright & Mortens, Somerford is fantastic at working out where the problem is from how the horse moves. She has been right first time every time with Lottie, and also my friend's mare and my YO's pony, after lots of vets have faffed about trying to rule things in or out systematically with blocks.

SO1

Visit site
Sorry to hear she is not right could it be a sticky stiffle issue if she is young and it is a canter issue?

Birker2020

Visit site
Does your horse toss its head around at all or is it hard to put a headcollar or bridle on? C1 and c2 are linked to poll /atlas area. Just wondered if she's banged her head at all?

It's interesting your physio has found tightness in the neck as that can quite often cause problems with bucking, broncing and swapping hind legs.

Last edited:

Asha

Visit site
Does your horse toss its head around at all or is it hard to put a headcollar or bridle on? C1 and c2 are linked to poll /atlas area. Just wondered if she's banged her head at all?

It's interesting your physio has found tightness in the neck as that can quite often cause problems with bucking, broncing and swapping hind legs.

She’s fine with her head , easy to tack up . When she comes in she just sleeps . So not a stressy type at all .

TheMule

Visit site
Sorry to hear you’re having problems- I agree it’s most likely SI,
Hocks, KS or suspensories…. I would ask them to start by blocking hocks as that will hit top part of suspensories too and go from there.

Asha

Visit site
just back from the vets, and its her left fore. She has strained a ligament near the navicular bone. So shoes off and 2 months paddock rest. Then assess her again, if not right then they will medicate but as its a strain they hope the rest will do the trick. So not what i thought at all ! Once they nerve blocked the left fore she moved beautifully. Vet says just one of those unlucky things.
i think she just wants to wait until ive finished my rehab ;)

Asha

Visit site
I glad the issue has been identified and unlike most horses she has good timing as you will be off riding a while .
Good luck with your hip replacement I have both mine done it’s get great op .
PM me if you need to someone to chat to anytime .
Thank you, thats very kind. I will take you up on that as ive a few questions about after the op

Asha

Visit site
That's a great update, Asha 🙂.

Thank heavens for competent equine vets who can home straight in on a problem. We are lucky having them nearby. Never failed me or the neds yet.

Thank you TP, totally agree , we really are very very lucky . They are all lovely people too.

ihatework

Visit site
just back from the vets, and its her left fore. She has strained a ligament near the navicular bone. So shoes off and 2 months paddock rest. Then assess her again, if not right then they will medicate but as its a strain they hope the rest will do the trick. So not what i thought at all ! Once they nerve blocked the left fore she moved beautifully. Vet says just one of those unlucky things.
i think she just wants to wait until ive finished my rehab ;)

A quick diagnosis and an isolated location - good result considered!

Asha

Visit site
It doesn’t rain but it flipping pours at the moment .
My most beautiful black colt Rocky is poorly .
I noticed he didn’t lie down in the field yesterday, and was snoozing standing up . So watched him for a bit , his friend ran at him to try and get him to play and he walked off literally dragging his hind leg . Panic mode set in , got him and his mum in stable . No cuts , no marks no swelling . Just one very sad in foal .
Vet came out , we both thought pelvic injury . But no . He checked temp , it was over 39 !
So some infection/ virus etc . He’s on pain relief antibiotics and gastroguard
Watched him last night , he’s eating peeing pooping and finally I saw him lie down and get some sleep.
This morning peeled up a bit , temp down to 37 . Then an hour later looked depressed again and temp 38.6 . An hour later 38.9 . So been back to vets to pick up more meds .

Please can you keep your fingers crossed for him . I love all my horses , but from the day he was born there’s something extra special about him .
I’m so desperately worried about him . If he starts to scour etc we have to run him into the hospital immediately
😔😔

chaps89

Visit site
It doesn’t rain but it flipping pours at the moment .
My most beautiful black colt Rocky is poorly .
I noticed he didn’t lie down in the field yesterday, and was snoozing standing up . So watched him for a bit , his friend ran at him to try and get him to play and he walked off literally dragging his hind leg . Panic mode set in , got him and his mum in stable . No cuts , no marks no swelling . Just one very sad in foal .
Vet came out , we both thought pelvic injury . But no . He checked temp , it was over 39 !
So some infection/ virus etc . He’s on pain relief antibiotics and gastroguard
Watched him last night , he’s eating peeing pooping and finally I saw him lie down and get some sleep.
This morning peeled up a bit , temp down to 37 . Then an hour later looked depressed again and temp 38.6 . An hour later 38.9 . So been back to vets to pick up more meds .

Please can you keep your fingers crossed for him . I love all my horses , but from the day he was born there’s something extra special about him .
I’m so desperately worried about him . If he starts to scour etc we have to run him into the hospital immediately
😔😔

I’m glad your mare didn’t turn out to be too serious but everything crossed for little Rocky 🤞🤞🤞