Anyone know what happened?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Having picked holes in the traditions and working practices of the household cavalry, does anyone know how these injured horses are doing?
There's been no update beyond Quaker the most seriously injured was transferred to s veterinary hospital. He wasn't one of the galloping ones.

Skib

sites.google.com
I am very sorry about the injured people and horses.

However, my family papers show that military horses did have to stand for a long time on parade. Or when waiting for inspection.

On October 10, 1914 my grandfather appears to have sat on his horse from 9 a.m. and the King did not arrive until 11.15.
In his diary my grandfather notes: "I almost fell sleep on John waiting. Fortunately he stands still for hours on end"

Burnerbee

Visit site
Unhappy horses don't usually bite thin air. The fact that they bite the tourists as soon as they have something to bite says the unhappiness is there all the time.

I can't agree with you about standing still with a rider and ceremonial tack on either. The horse can lock out its legs but it can't lock out the suspension bridge the rider is sat on and that takes core effort to hold up. I reckon it's a big ask both physically and mentally.

And it's pointless, eta except for the undoubted pleasure it gives people to see them.
Plus, it’s pretty awful for the soldiers too - especially the ones on foot (at least on a horse you can’t be eyeballed by often annoying, condescending tourists).

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I think the messages are very mixed - I doubt they are sharing the complete story or condition of the horses (I don't really blame them). Imagine if one of them has to be pts.
I think the messages from those who know are clear but the waters are being muddied by those who think they know and those who haven't a clue, which includes most journalists. I have say all the comments about 'old-fashioned' riding have made me laugh, the tuition can't be that old-fashioned or the riders who never have dared let go of the reins. I have a friend who laid unconscious on top of a hedge with her reins still firmly grasped in her hand in 'the good old days'.

Skib

sites.google.com
reins still firmly grasped in her hand in 'the good old days'.
But I always fell holding the reins. So as not to let go of the horse. I have always believed that this was why although I fell many times while learning to ride, I always fell on my back (bp) and I never broke my wrist, which I believe is a very common injury for people who fall off their horses. Apparently it is instinctive to put out a hand to break ones fall..

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
Does anyone not fall holding the reins? I remember an incident a good few years ago now where I was dragged down a road because I refused to let go of the reins… I had enough time to think “this is frightening the horse more, I’ll let go” which I did…. found him grazing on the verge shortly after.

I think someone has already said, I check this thread for updates on the health of the horses and riders, a pity it has become a sounding board for so many opinions 😞

Snowfilly

Visit site
Latest update from the Army on Twitter says the black horse is doing well and ‘progressing to what is expected to be a full recovery.’

Much more guarded language around the grey’s outlook, I’m afraid.

Two soldiers still in hospital but will make a full recovery.

teapot

Visit site
I think the messages from those who know are clear but the waters are being muddied by those who think they know and those who haven't a clue, which includes most journalists. I have say all the comments about 'old-fashioned' riding have made me laugh, the tuition can't be that old-fashioned or the riders who never have dared let go of the reins. I have a friend who laid unconscious on top of a hedge with her reins still firmly grasped in her hand in 'the good old days'.

Would you hold on if you were facing the very imminent risk of being dragged along tarmac/into parked cars/oncoming traffic (regardless of the usually slow speed)? There's a time and place for not letting go, and central London mid mass spook and go is perhaps not it.

(ETS: there's usually a loose horse on Holkham beach pic every summer too so maybe military instruction is to let go, who knows!)

Last edited:

criso

Visit site
I think the messages from those who know are clear but the waters are being muddied by those who think they know and those who haven't a clue, which includes most journalists
I think it's the lack of information that concerned people. There was an update a few days ago then nothing till today on the army site so radio silence from official channels.

Then the Independent had that really misleading online article where the last updated time changed but the info about the horse hadn't. They'd edited it but not that part.

It was said Quaker had been transferred to a veterinary hospital.

At the hospital I use, at the weekend there are only essential on call staff so you don't get the usual daily updates if nothing changes . So if there's no change and he's stable, there would be no reason to talk to the owner. Weekdays the vets do rounds in the mornings and they or their assistant get back to you later with an update and to discuss progress, next steps, prognosis, discharge.

It would have been possible of course to get an update but wouldn't have been automatic.

criso

Visit site
Latest update from the Army on Twitter says the black horse is doing well and ‘progressing to what is expected to be a full recovery.’

Much more guarded language around the grey’s outlook, I’m afraid.

Two soldiers still in hospital but will make a full recovery.
Do you mean the post Teapot screenshotted above.

I didn't necessarily read it like that..Quaker was in a more serious condition and in hospital so had more progress to make hence the more positive update. Vida had been discharged so wasn't quite so serious in the first place so less improvement but from a better starting point.

SkylarkAscending

Visit site
Would you hold on if you were facing the very imminent risk of being dragged along tarmac/into parked cars/oncoming traffic (regardless of the usually slow speed)? There's a time and place for not letting go, and central London mid mass spook and go is perhaps not it.

(ETS: there's usually a loose horse on Holkham beach pic every summer too so maybe military instruction is to let go, who knows!)

Yes I did - hence my post. And I also came to the conclusion whilst it was happening that this wasn’t in the horses best interest.

I’d do it again - and have done so (studded whilst eventing, held onto the horse….)

ponynutz

Visit site
I plead guilty. When we go to Westminster Abbey (hence OH wearing his medal) or to the National Gallery, we do divert and go to Whitehall to see the horse guards. My neighbour and friend whose OH was a military historian even volunteered at the Cavalry Museum beside the gate.

View attachment 138338
Setting aside everything else, this is a lovely picture @Skib

criso

Visit site
Hanging onto the reins depends on the fall. Sometimes I have, sometimes I haven't. A couple of times I have deliberately let go to roll out of the way of being stood on or rolled on. And as said, many of these riders have had fast track brief instruction so won't have years of experience of different situations.

ponynutz

Visit site
Just reading over this thread and a few things have come to mind.

1) I'm going to take one for the team and set up a separate thread about the conditions - a few people have mentioned the just want updates!
2) I always fell holding the reins but was taught to let go, unless of course I happened to be on the road. I think unless it was clear I was going to be dragged, a sharp tug in the horses' mouth is much preferred to the injuries Vida and Quaker have both received.
3) I don't think there are mixed messages being given but I DO think they are being very careful with what they say about Vida which makes me wonder if they're still not sure whether he'll pull through!

criso

Visit site
3) I don't think there are mixed messages being given but I DO think they are being very careful with what they say about Vida which makes me wonder if they're still not sure whether he'll pull through
I think also what everyone here will understand but the general public won't is that with horses it's not just a case of surviving but needing to get to a certain level of field soundness even to be retired. That's a difficult thing to communicate to the general public People think that we don't try and rehab horses with a broken leg because we don't care or are too mean to pay for treatment.

suestowford

Visit site
That is very true - I've had it said to me, 'but a broken leg isn't life-threatening'. I've had a go at explaining why it is, for a horse (or any large animal for that matter) but it didn't go down well.

As for whether to let go or not, I hung on once, and ended up with a broken finger!

khalswitz

Visit site
Sometimes I hold onto reins, but I’ve had too many falls where I’ve been thrown violently clear of the horse, and if I go beyond rein length whilst still moving at speed in the air then I don’t have the hand strength to hold on frankly. Usually a fall is too quick to make a decision - I either instinctively hold on or get thrown too far.

Time for Tea

Visit site
But I always fell holding the reins. So as not to let go of the horse. I have always believed that this was why although I fell many times while learning to ride, I always fell on my back (bp) and I never broke my wrist, which I believe is a very common injury for people who fall off their horses. Apparently it is instinctive to put out a hand to break ones fall..
I was taught this too as a child, and it is a difficult habit to break. But I think it has saved me from many a nasty fall, though i did get my breastbone trodden once, so when I got up I could feel it moving when I took a deep breath!

ThreeFurs

Visit site
I did fall safety training a few years back with Lindsay Nylund, whose gone on to do a PhD in rider fall safety at Sydney Uni. over and over again that afternoon I fell, or rather was flung, off 'Naughty Ned' the mechanical bronc, onto big gymnastics cushions, as he trained me to 'tuck and roll'.

First thing you do though, from a safety viewpoint is chuck the reins away. If you hang on they pull you body out into an open position where all your organs are exposed if its the case the horse treads on you. Households obvs have their own protocols viz urban riding. Just sayin. x