Anyone seen swelling like this?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I remember some years back a friend's horse had similar and the vet prescribed a drug that was not licensed here, he just got her to sign a disclaimer and gave the drug unfortunately I have no idea what it was but it worked end the horse was in his twenties when it happened.

Reactions: TPO

TPO

Visit site
Hope he pickes up soon xxx could u not go on agrressive intravenous antibiotics to help the infection maybe ? Xx

Already had two lots of these and nothing else left to give him

Just starting his fourth walk of the day. Swelling maybe down a touch but skin starting to ulcer ? spoken to the vet and nothing else can be done that what we are already doing. Just to try to dry the leg after hosing as thoroughly as I can.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Got everything crossed for you. Fortunately I haven't dealt with cellulitis in horses but I have with family members so know how painful it is.

HeyMich

Visit site
Thinking of you TPO! I'm not that far from you, so please do shout if you need anything.

(Saying that, I'm unfortunately in the wrong council area with current restrictions, but happy to lend an ear and travel in an emergency, within reason!)

PSD

Visit site
Really hoping your boy has picked up TPO. what a terribly stressful time this must be for you, my thoughts are with you

TPO

Visit site
Thanks again for the well wishes and offers to help.

I think the swelling has gone down slightly and there is less oozing with no new sores.

Currently camped out in stable to make sure he doesnt go down. Going to keep up the hourly walks until 10pm, so he'll have had 12hrs of walking and hosing by that point. Then will drop it to every 2hrs so hes out st midnight, 2am, 4am and then hourly can start again at 6 if need be or otherwise at 8.

Hes had his 2 bute and 30ml of doxycycline at 5 do he was fairly striding out on his 6pm walk! Hope the drugs work their magic and that I'm doing enough to give him a chance. He kinda has to be better by monday because I've used the remainder of my leave for this week (vet said that this routine will need to continue "for a few days") screwing up month end reports so cant take any more time ? thoroughbreds!!

chaps89

Visit site
That's a fairly gruelling and relentless routine you've got going there, well done you. I'm glad it sounds like it is going in the right direction.
If you can't take time off, do you have a freelancer that could come in and help do a couple of the day time stints?
Likewise could you do a longer working day to cover the gaps where you have to disappear to hose/walk?
Is there absolutely no way of getting cover at work?
Every hour in the day and 2 hours at night is alot, even without trying to factor in a job, and if you're sleep deprived everything is likely to take longer and not be of high quality which doesn't really help.
Sorry, I like to solutionise, OH says it's not helpful when people need sympathy so I'm sorry if that's the case!

ExRacers

Visit site
I hope he continues turning that corner. Had several cases of cellulitis in a TB including some serum but this certainly sounds very extreme. Everything crossed for him.

Scarlett

Visit site
Nothing to add except I hope he's improving.

Dealt with cellulitis a few times with my big orange horse and its awful. Everything crossed for you.

TPO

Visit site
Thank you. Still elephant leg and very hot on front and inside of hock.

No new sores and serum only from pastern ones now and not cannon.

SuperDad came out to spell me from 12-5, we've changed timings so Vinnie only standing and hour before the regime starts over again.

He seems bright enough and once I get him in the paddock hes marching out through the slush happily enough. Hes starting to be a fidget to get hosed so taking that as a good sign ??

Thanks again for all the good wishes for him, I really appreciate it ?

Now offer 4hrs 45min of sleep! Tonight's valuable lesson was dont put hand cream on before removing contacts... thanks again x