Anyone seen swelling like this?

Dontforgetaboutme

Visit site
Sorry you are going through this. My horse was diagnosed with this 18 months ago, her leg swelled up suddenly knee to shoulder and had serum oozing in couple places. I thought she’d had a bumble bee sting as there was a nest in the barn but called vet as she was lame with it. Other than a boat load of Bute and anti bs my vet said to hose and then bandage both legs and box rest for a week. She was hugely sorry for herself for few days and swelling stayed for 10 days but she came right. Vet did say it needed treated aggressively so hopefully as you picked it up early he’ll be better soon.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Hope you're all doing ok this morning, TPO. Glad Superdad is taking some of the strain and Vinnie sounds like he has perked up a little and is enjoying his walks.

Reactions: TPO

TPO

Visit site
Still quite swollen/no marked reduction and still a fair bit of heat in his (massive) hock.

Poor boy is pretty tired with all this walking bless him. He's been down a couple of times but can get up ok.

I called the practice with an update this morning as requested and my vet called back. He said we can scale back the night walks (yay!) so last one at 11pm and will give him a chance to get a semi decent sleep before going out at 5.30.

His skin is looking sore but hes not bothered about getting it touched and dried. No new sores but the ones that appeared yesterday are a bit bigger.

Vet is out at 1pm tomorrow to check up on him. Hopefully the swelling is down a bit by then.

Hes happy enough to weight bear and walk out once hea going. Getting hum started takes a bit of effort; he's just a bit tired and grumpy (understandable)

Thanks for asking after him. Hopefully some good news from the vet tomorrow ??

holeymoley

Visit site
Just caught up on this thread, what a worrying time. I hope he continues to improve even if its a slow progress. Well done for being so committed to that routine especially in this weather.

chaps89

Visit site
He said we can scale back the night walks (yay!) so last one at 11pm and will give him a chance to get a semi decent sleep before going out at 5.30.
Never mind him having a chance for some sleep - you too!
It sounds like cautiously optimistic, fingers crossed for you he continues to improve

TPO

Visit site
Thanks again for the messages.

Vet not long away and he is seeing the progress too. Apparently Vincent (Sunday name!) is the worst/one of the worst cases that he has seen ? Normally cellulitis would have resolved around 48hrs but we are now 72hrs+ in and only starting to see progress.

So Vinnie didnt need another steroid injection. Vet said he rarely gives steroids, if ever, for cellulitis because it impacts on the immune system. The one he got on either Monday night or Tuesday morning (lost track a little) is supposed to last 3-4 days but vet came out expecting to have to give more. A relief for horse and bank account that no more drugs were required today!

So just to keep up with 1 bute and 30ml doxycycline twice a day and the same walking & hosing routine.

If he goes backwards over the weekend the on call vet has already been briefed about the case. Hopefully he keeps improving and then just to check in with vet on Monday and take it from there.

He said once they are back to normal it's usually around 2 days of rest then carry on as normal but Vinnie is to be kept wrapped in cotton wool for at least 5 days when the time comes ? I think the ACPs will come in very handy then.

Thanks again for the good wishes. Not like I can go anywhere during lockdown so might as well be trudging around a field at all hours ha ha

Gingerwitch

Visit site
So pleased for the update. Hope Sir Vincent continues to enjoy his walks....m he will be banging the door soon saying oi surf my legs need stretching and that grass over their needs nibbling xxx