Anyone seen swelling like this?

TPO

Visit site
Fingers crossed thing's keep improving. As an aside Vincent's damsire Sandalay, who won the Queen Alexandra Stakes at Royal Ascot, was owned by Gordon Sumner aka Sting!

Ah sorry, that's just his stable name. He was an appalling race horse! His name is thehoodlum but the only "hoodlum" that mum could think of was Vinnie Jones so that became his stable name when she bought him.

photo_jo

Visit site
Ah sorry, that's just his stable name. He was an appalling race horse! His name is thehoodlum but the only "hoodlum" that mum could think of was Vinnie Jones so that became his stable name when she bought him.
Your boy's great grand dam was the dam of Derby winner Teenoso!

Reactions: TPO

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

Will he be advertising Brut next?

TPO

Visit site
Gone a bit backwards this morning. Was reluctant to come out of his stable and was nodding lame. He was walking out better by the time I got him out of the shed and then it was pitch black in the field as we did our laps. He was a bit slower than normal but appeared to be walking on it fine.

Back to the shed to cold hose and he was weight bearing but fidgeting. In the shed to dry leg and he was walking on his toe. Let him mooch about while I sorted drugs and breakfasts. Checked his hoof for stones and cleared it out, I couldnt get it up high enough so see if there was bruising. Didnt react to heel bulbs being palpated (had an abscess burst out unnoticed on Sunday).

So I've given him his bute and antibiotics but not weight bearing in the stable and really reluctant to move. I dont think another half hour will make a difference, and will give the bute a chance to kick in, so will call vets when they open at 9 and get advice.

Thay aside swelling is down a bit more but still very warm around his hock and down the medial aspect of his cannon

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Gone a bit backwards this morning. Was reluctant to come out of his stable and was nodding lame. He was walking out better by the time I got him out of the shed and then it was pitch black in the field as we did our laps. He was a bit slower than normal but appeared to be walking on it fine.

Back to the shed to cold hose and he was weight bearing but fidgeting. In the shed to dry leg and he was walking on his toe. Let him mooch about while I sorted drugs and breakfasts. Checked his hoof for stones and cleared it out, I couldnt get it up high enough so see if there was bruising. Didnt react to heel bulbs being palpated (had an abscess burst out unnoticed on Sunday).

So I've given him his bute and antibiotics but not weight bearing in the stable and really reluctant to move. I dont think another half hour will make a difference, and will give the bute a chance to kick in, so will call vets when they open at 9 and get advice.

Thay aside swelling is down a bit more but still very warm around his hock and down the medial aspect of his cannon

The one I knew was a bit up and down, he had to have the antibiotics changed a few times. They had to culture the bacteria to find the best one. Ours was awful, cost 4K in the end with the frequent visits and many drugs.

But he did live a long and healthy life afterwards.

oldie48

Visit site
TPO. I'm so sorry I missed this post completely. I had the same situation with my elderly TB. He'd come in lame and I thought it was an abscess but next morning I found him down with a huge leg and in dreadful pain. It was truly awful so I understand how you must be feeling. It was January and vile weather but my vet wanted him out in the field 24/7 and being walked like yours. I am sure it's what saved him, that and the intravenous antibiotics and huge doses of painkillers (2x bute three times a day + 15 paracetamol 3x daily + sachet of antibiotic 3 times a day) tbh it might have been 20 paracetamol but it all got ground up and mixed to a paste and syringed in. My vet did say the first antibiotic might not be the right one but we were lucky and after three days he started to improve but I had wanted to put him to sleep because I couldn't bare to see him in such pain. He recovered, it was touch and go for a week and then for another week it looked worryingly uncertain, then he suddenly started to look brighter and he walked out with me down the lane. I think your horse is probably through the worse but if he isn't perhaps your vet needs to use a different antibiotic? I never found any wound or scrape but he was an older horse with cushings so his immune system was compromised. I hope your horse is starting to show a real improvement. It's a vile condition and so painful for them.

alibali

Visit site
Sending positive vibes TPO. You must be exhausted physically and emotionally. Hope there's someone who can support you with all this.

TPO

Visit site
Thanks again for the messages about Vinnie. Sorry I'm being useless and have lost track of the days already.

So yeah Friday he was awful again, very uncomfortable and wouldnt put any weight down his heel. My vet was off so got a call back from the first vet who had come out on Monday.

Basically he said there isn't anything more he could do other than pain relief and that I could do that by giving more bute. Then basically just to keep him moving at any cost because that's the only thing that will get his lymphatic system working.

V had already had his morning bute sachet and vet phoned around 9.30. So gave him another sachet waited an hour to let it kick in then forced him to walk ? Dad had to "bump start" Vinnie and push while I pulled. He did start moving a moving better on his later walks.

So he gets walked for 15mins and then hand grazed. When he comes in he gets hosed for 10-15mins the thoroughly dried. After hes stood to be hosed he goes really lame again. I've never had a horse be worse after hosing (although I've never dealt with cellulitis before) and I usually hose 20mins. So now he gets a 5min walk after hosing to try to "walk it off".

There is no school and the ground has been awful for hand walking him. There is a track alongside the house but its access to fields and a farmer has been up and down it regularly trailering stuff out. That's fine in itself but it's made the track really muddy and the (big) tractor tyre tracks have frozen solid so not great for walking on/through.

Our summer paddocks were ok to start with because they were semi frozen with a covering of snow so were actually ok for handwalking. Then we had some balmy temperatures of 2-4 degrees so everything thawed turned all the rested paddocks into mud.

More so with the track but I'm just conscious he's not walking on an even surface and there are lots of trips and slips.

Due to lack of facilities and lights hes not done anything since September and even then it was just mooching about up the track in a walk. So all of this walking, with a very dodgy and sore leg, will be taking its toll too.

Dad has been helping loads and done some of the horrendous shifts in the middle of the night, literally. Both of us now have knackered knees and ankles from marching about in wellies so can't begin to imagine how poor V must be feeling ?

We've mad ethe executive decision to do his last walk at 9pm, no cold hosing (other than to clean mud off and thoroughly dry) as it is absolutely freezing and his skin is raw then leave him until 6.30am so that he can have a proper sleep/recovery after a hard week.

I've to phone my vet on monday morning with an update.

Re antibiotics he has doxycycline. Hes a fussy eater at the best of times so everything is being syringed into him. The vets have also jagged him with other anti bs but I need to check the bill to get all the names (there's a list!).

There does seem to be less heat in his hock although more in his cannon, which is also tighter, so I'm assuming gravity doing its job as vet hoped. Still quite a bit of serum oozing but no new sores <touch wood>.

Dad had been helping loads. I'm back to work on monday and starting to stress about how I'm going to manage Vinnie.

Long story short I'm not because I work 8.30-5 with a 45min lunch. I took last week off to see to Vinnie and it was month end so its landed my project in it & I'm going to go back to a backlog and urgent stuff so I cant skive to do horses ? I only have 2 days leave left until the end of March and I want to keep them just in case things go south again.

The other two horses have been great and have put up with reduced turnout to keep Vinnie company and with being disturbed several times a night/morning but I won't even manage the current routine with them around work. Poor dad will do the best that he can, dont know what I would have done without him (& Redbull!), but it's not going to be great. My vet indicated that, all going well, another couple of weeks until V might be ok/back to normal and then hes to have another week in the routine just to be 100% safe before he can go back out. So yeah, just having a pity party, with a side of anxious stressing, for one ?

Thanks for the good wishes and shared experiences. I've no first hand experience of cellulitis and definitely didnt think that's what it was based on how the original swelling on his gaskin presented. Thanks again, I really appreciate it