Anyone tolerant enough to answer a pretty daft question?

rara007

Visit site
As an aside my (non cob) dragon driving project of last winter made it to this years HOYs (I sold him on VIA DD in the spring), the one of a few year back made it to the USA para international team and has represented them ;) I know you don't want a performance bone so that probably wouldn't interest you (they're both still relatively young obviously but both still going sound?) but I don't think DD needs condemning just yet ;) Perfectly decent animals go through their pages, including at least one of this years team GBR ponies.

Alec Swan

Visit site
PoppyAnderson, as you started this thread 15 days ago, and as scanning would reveal the presence of one or more embryos, certainly within the next couple of days, have you booked a competent vet to check whether there is in fact a pregnancy? If the mare is in fact in foal, and if there are twins present, then the window of removal of one of them will very soon close on you.

Alec.

Bedlam

Visit site
Haven't been on here for years and then come on and find this thread!

What's done is done and the OP as a new breeder needs non-judgmental advice now and going forwards.

Alec is spot on - OP I would suggest you get a vet out to scan your mare to check that there is just the one if indeed she is in foal. Twins are bad news for many reasons.

If you're interested in colour genetics you can also take some hair from both sire and dam and have them colour tested to work out the probability of any colour:

https://animalgenetics.us/Equine/CCalculator1.asp

Main consideration though should be health of mare and possible foal, so I would have a vet out to scan sooner rather than later so you know what you're dealing with. If she isn't in foal it may be worth separating them until the spring. Where was the colt kept before you put them together?

Rollin

Visit site
I have not been on this forum for ages and have not read ALL the posts.

If you think your mare has been covered then DO get her scanned. I lost a lovely filly foal in February, even though the mare had been scanned she aborted she has twins, missed on scan. After the vet left we found the second foal in the straw, the size of a rabbit. This was a real loss to us as it was a much wanted foal.

As far as running colts with mares, we ran our Shagya colt with his mother and CB mare, both in foal, till he was two. He was no trouble at all. Today he is 7 years of age, we can transport him with mares, he does endurance, SJ, covers in hand or can be run at liberty with a mare, he is stabled alongside mares/fillies and is no trouble at all. I think his experience as a young horse taught him good manners.

I can run my CB stallion with one mare, the love of his life, but she keeps him in order. I would not run him with any mare. He is much more of a viking.

We don't cover at any time of year. We always aim for April foals and as my mares have stayed in season well into November, we keep the boys and girls apart. We see a huge difference in CB foals born in France in April compared with summer foals born in the north of the UK.

Good luck.

Luci07

Visit site
I had a friend who had a winter foal. Foal was a BOGOF and a massive surprise to said new owner who arrived to find it in her box. She did have an almighty time of it caring for a late winter foal and didn't find the experience one she would wish to repeat.

GemG

Visit site
I had a friend who had a winter foal. Foal was a BOGOF and a massive surprise to said new owner who arrived to find it in her box. She did have an almighty time of it caring for a late winter foal and didn't find the experience one she would wish to repeat.

Oh my goodness, can you imagine opening up your horses stable one morning to find an unexpected foal!!!!! What a shock!

EQUIDAE

Visit site
Oh my goodness, can you imagine opening up your horses stable one morning to find an unexpected foal!!!!! What a shock!

Ha ha that happened to me - fed mare in the morning and she was eating as normal (wolfed her breakfast), came to let the dogs out at lunch and there was a foal! It was certainly a shock... mine was late January foal and it was pretty awful to deal with :(

Feival

Visit site
Why could you not wait till spring? neither of your horses are anything special and you seem to have no clue what you are doing.