Anyone want a thread for the Olympic dressage live?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
dont write off pumpkin yet, i reckon he could challenge valegro eventually, fingers crossed he does. i dont think valegros was flashy, BR is flashy at the front so is edward gals horse, that is exactly what i dont like so i wouldnt expect or want an iberian to do that sort of trot, which in my eyes isnt correct or attractive. i appreciate i may be in the minority but i did not like the trot of totilas, liked the rest of his paces though...i am just saying my own preference and opinion.....shoot me down everyone :)

tristar

Visit site
dont write off pumpkin yet, i reckon he could challenge valegro eventually, fingers crossed he does. i dont think valegros was flashy, BR is flashy at the front so is edward gals horse, that is exactly what i dont like so i wouldnt expect or want an iberian to do that sort of trot, which in my eyes isnt correct or attractive. i appreciate i may be in the minority but i did not like the trot of totilas, liked the rest of his paces though...i am just saying my own preference and dont write off pumpkin yet, i reckon he could challenge valegro eventually, fingers crossed he does. i dont think valegros was flashy, BR is flashy at the front so is edward gals horse, that is exactly what i dont like so i wouldnt expect or want an iberian to do that sort of trot, which in my eyes isnt correct or attractive. i appreciate i may be in the minority but i did not like the trot of totilas, liked the rest of his paces though...i am just saying my own preference and opinion.....shoot me down everyone :)

i prefer pump to valegro

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site

the front legs and back legs matching thing is less of an issue for me personally, i can't really imagine breeders discarding the expressive front legs now and the hind legs would be kicking the horse's belly if they were matching in angles, for me personally the important thing is the engagement of the hindlegs to an "excellent" degree which still leaves a discrepancy between front and hind but still shows a high quality of the movement. obviously not every front leg waver shows this but as time goes on i think more do... JMHO ;)[/QUOTE]

i am not expecting the back legs to match the flashy front legs, i would want less flashy fronts and more active hinds...if you look at the marks, the judges are now seeming to award less marks to those very flashy front leg only extension and more to the more traditional ones, so i hope we see less of the flash and more of the correct, which is just my opinion and i know i am a bit alone in my thinking, but we are all different and it makes for an interesting debate....

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
would toto`s have with different training

there were rumblings a while ago of dubious training methods used to get that exaggerated movement, it was suggested that it wasnt the horses natural way of going, so not bred into him but made. when you look at the awful things which have gone on in america with the tennessee walking horses nothing anyone does surprises me but does make me so sad what some humans will do to these willing animals just for the look...

palo1

Visit site
I struggle a bit with this conversation because the word 'bias' suggests a level of intentional skewing towards warmbloods on a personal level by the judges. There is the odd judge (at lower levels IME) who 'doesn't like' them, but experienced judges will assess the strengths and weaknesses that they see in front of them against the rules as they have been laid out.

In terms of the rules - they were originally based on the Germany cavalry system so would naturally favour bigger, different-shaped horses to the Iberian. FEI dressage didn't grow out of the 'high-school' dressage that we associate with the Spanish Riding School and Iberian-styles.

This is such a crucial point and one I was wondering how to make tactfully. Thank goodness someone has done that :)

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
He's lovely, but if it wasn't for the neck I'm not sure I'd mark him as an Iberian. Stunning horse though!

It's a lovely horse, but the only thing Iberian about that to me is the short thick neck. The bouncing movement that the rider is having to work to sit to is just not the way the earlier ones move, it's it?

I feel sad that if that's how the Iberian breeds are going to go there will be no point to them, they may just as well be warmbloods. Though I suppose it will probably split into more modern and more old fashioned?

j1ffy

Visit site
It's a lovely horse, but the only thing Iberian about that to me is the short thick neck. The bouncing movement that the rider is having to work to sit to is just not the way the earlier ones move, it's it?

I feel sad that if that's how the Iberian breeds are going to go there will be no point to them, they may just as well be warmbloods. Though I suppose it will probably split into more modern and more old fashioned?

Frankly if you can't trot along with a glass of sherry in hand and not spill a drop, it's not a PRE! ?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site

could it be how he has been trained? would be useful to see him loose in the field to see how iberian he looks then

Mule

Visit site

Sounds like the Irish sport horse. A lot of them now have the breeding of European warmbloods rather than Tb and ID. Oftentimes they are a mix of European warmblood and traditional ish.
There is a separate category within the studbook now to differentiate between the traditional types and the European ones.

Ime the ID breeding leads to the soundness and good temperament and also makes them amateur friendly. It will be interesting to see how things turn out with the breed.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I shouldn't tell you then that they are selling her sister (Sire Poeat) out of a Doblon-TR mare then?
View attachment 76625View attachment 76626View attachment 76627

I am actually thinking about a mare ? no time for another one though...at least right now.

I wonder if they could do something like with the Morgan's or even the Arabs in the USA. One breed but different types within the breed for different sport/disciplines. I don't want to see the PRE or Lusitano lose its roots and turn into a WB, personally.

Frankly if you can't trot along with a glass of sherry in hand and not spill a drop, it's not a PRE! ?

Exactly!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
ive had 2 warmblood crosses, one was trakehner/cob and the other grade A warmblood SJ/part welsh..... the first one had an amazing temperament,calm and non spooky, the other one was the spookiest horse i have ever known both on the ground and ridden,,,,so crossing pre and warmblood may not always be a good thing...

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
One of the reasons I can sit my guys spooks, side ways jumps, and spins is because he is a PRE. While he doesn't do these things much at all anymore (yay for training and growing up), if he were a WB/more athletic horse with huge gaits and movement, I would've for sure met the dirt a few times ?