Are there really that many mis-sold horses?

Smoky 2022

Visit site
I think people with unrealistic expectations some people are better off on riding school horses. Majority of private horses aren’t suitable for novice riders I think people should be a decent rider and are able to handle a forward horse.

oldie48

Visit site
I think people with unrealistic expectations some people are better off on riding school horses. Majority of private horses aren’t suitable for novice riders I think people should be a decent rider and are able to handle a forward horse.
Where would potential owners find suitable forward going horses so that they could become a decent rider. My recent experience of RSs following Rose's injury is that they are as rare as hen's teeth. I paid £80 for a lesson at a well known riding establishment to ride a lame horse!

Winters100

Visit site
Sometimes, nobody has mis-sold or mis-bought, it just doesn't work out. I'm in that position now. Charlie is exactly as described and exactly what I wanted on paper. I'm not over horsed and we've not really had any problems (piggate aside) but we've never clicked so after 18 months of trying I've decided to sell. Not what I planned and I'm not happy about it but it's best for both of us. Meanwhile, my friend has bought one almost identical on paper (in terms of experience and temperament) and I've ridden him a few times and he's put a real smile on my face. I couldn't even tell you why I feel good on Oscar and not on Charlie but as another friend said, "you wouldn't marry every man you date."

This is very true. One of mine was bought from my YO. He offered me the choice of 2, and if I would have been asked to write an advert for each I would have written exactly the same, with the only difference being that 1 is bay and 1 is chestnut. I thought it would be difficult to pick, but actually from first ride it was 100% clear which horse I wanted to own ASAP, and which I would have been happy to ride but not dying to own!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I dont believe there are "bad" or "naughty" horses, I believe the owners/riders make them confused or stressed. Sadly when a horse moves home, who knows what that person will do which can tip the horse over the edge very quickly. When I sell, I always "vet" the interested person as much as they ask me questions and have certainly turned down people when they call to enquire if I simply dont think they or how they intend to keep the horse sound right for my particular horse. Some people get pretty annoyed me with me as they seem to think they have a right to try anyones horse if its for sale. But why would I sell to someone who says they'll keep the horse in 24/7 when my horse has lived for years out? Its highly likely there'd be issues and the horse and seller always get the blame.

Too many people dont let horses settle, at least keep its routine the same once you get it home until you know it vaguely before changing everything in its life even further. Then you just have people who treat horses like machines... sad really. I fear for the ones sold as novice rides, I think that just opens you up as a seller to a nightmare as they expect something absolutely bombproof and the horse cant even sneeze or they'll think its dangerous.

[139672]

Visit site
Years back I knew a girl who owned a beautiful chestnut gelding, 14.2. He was a true pony club dream pony, could do anything. She sold him and he ended up on our yard. The new owner was not an experienced rider. He totally changed, he became fat, lazy, a kick along pony. He looked pretty fed up, very unfit and fat. It was sad to see ?

lme

Visit site
We mis-bought the pony who went on to teach all my children to ride. We thought we had bought a first / second pony but she turned out to be a pocket rocket. When we viewed her, we saw her ridden by her current owner who had outgrown her, and my eldest daughter (who could not yet do more than walk) tried her and pronounced her 'boring'. She seemed ideal. Once daughter's were ready to canter they discovered her turbo button. It took some careful management, but she was the best pony ever and stayed with us until she died in her mid 20s.

Peglo

Visit site
Years back I knew a girl who owned a beautiful chestnut gelding, 14.2. He was a true pony club dream pony, could do anything. She sold him and he ended up on our yard. The new owner was not an experienced rider. He totally changed, he became fat, lazy, a kick along pony. He looked pretty fed up, very unfit and fat. It was sad to see ?

i also remember a pony that a wee lassie used to own and they were brilliant. Used to win all the jumping and we’re a great little team. When they sold her on when she out grew her, the next child would often get disqualified for refusals and she would whip that poor pony at least 3 times as punishment. The change in that pony was sad to see. She was a superstar with her previous lassie