August Bank Holiday weekend plans

Roxylola

Visit site
But maybe I can get them to yell at me periodically so I remember to breathe this time....
Have a little something to say as you go round, it helps with rhythm and breathing. "G and T" or prosecco work nicely for canter, "champagne" would be ok if you prefer to come from trot. Also a reminder to reward yourself at the end ?

DressageCob

Visit site
I always think it is an odd thing, Olympians doing local Novice level dressage. You never used to see it; their grooms or working pupils would ride through the lower levels. I would find it very daunting in the working in, having one of the world's greatest dressage riders riding at me unyieldingly.

I have nothing special going on. I may film a couple of tests for online dressage if I get round to it. I have entered but the videos aren't due until Monday so as usual I'm cutting it fine ?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have now competed up to Medium in British Dressage and have an ambition to ride in a tailcoat at Prix St George.
when you get to that, you'll eye up GP ;)

behold the glorious matchy :p (for those who like that kind of thing) nice colour on a bay :D. Starting to get some level of normal work from him now, he went very very backward after moving house :oops:

118560356_3570981862913298_3051111583613798980_o.jpg

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Are you enjoying your new yard milliepops?
yes it's wonderful, it's just so nice to have so much positive stuff around. I know lots of clients so have seen loads of people which is nice too. Both of the horses went a bit needy after moving which is just taking a while to settle, but they are both anxious horses (just in different ways) so no surprises there. Just have to keep on going. But it's going to be great I think, plus as the weather has been foul the last week or so it's a godsend to suddenly have an indoor school ;)

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Join the club...! There are far worse slippery slopes to be on :D

I got back into riding in 2008, got a share horse in 2009 and a horse (actually two...but one was a baby) in 2010! Not looked back since. The two horses I got in 2010 are both on loan to good friends, I have a 3yo being broken in (they're all PREs) and now a warmblood on loan as a stopgap. Having thought 'going affiliated' would be the pinnacle of my competing career, I have now competed up to Medium in British Dressage and have an ambition to ride in a tailcoat at Prix St George.

It's a wonderful slope and I don't want it to end!

Wow what a journey! :) Bring on the slope!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I'm another at Eland ODE. 50cm for Toby and 80cm for Dolly with a recovered Katie on her. I rarely try and take 2 horse eventing as it's just a bit awkward going back and forth but we will manage one way or another.

I went and schooled him and did get him over the ditch hedge but he is still not very keen. In fact I ended up in the hedge myself...... first fall off Toby. He was 99% going and at the very last second his courage failed him so he stopped and I didn't. Jumped it a couple of times after that though - the first time he more or less climbed through it. Then he jumped it. I honestly dont think he understood the fence at all at first....... But as he has seen it now perhaps he will be fine. He was fine with all the other fences. He seemed to love it and his TB genes made a bit of an appearance on the home stretch!!

j1ffy that is very excicing though I find warming up next to VIPs quite scary.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
I'm another at Eland ODE. 50cm for Toby and 80cm for Dolly with a recovered Katie on her. I rarely try and take 2 horse eventing as it's just a bit awkward going back and forth but we will manage one way or another.

I went and schooled him and did get him over the ditch hedge but he is still not very keen. In fact I ended up in the hedge myself...... first fall off Toby. He was 99% going and at the very last second his courage failed him so he stopped and I didn't. Jumped it a couple of times after that though - the first time he more or less climbed through it. Then he jumped it. I honestly dont think he understood the fence at all at first....... But as he has seen it now perhaps he will be fine. He was fine with all the other fences. He seemed to love it and his TB genes made a bit of an appearance on the home stretch!!

Oh dear I hope you're not too sore! Have you at least flattened the hedge now with all your climbing through it ?...

Everything has been rained off so far this weekend for us, so hibernating and chilling might be on the cards! Might see if mum wants to do a farm ride maybe if the rain stops!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Oh dear I hope you're not too sore! Have you at least flattened the hedge now with all your climbing through it ?...

Everything has been rained off so far this weekend for us, so hibernating and chilling might be on the cards! Might see if mum wants to do a farm ride maybe if the rain stops!
Yup we did our best to flatten/demolish it!!

J_sarahd

Visit site

Badger was like that too with that jump so hoping he will be okay! So fingers crossed both boys are okay with it on Monday!!

blood_magik

Visit site
I’m hopefully picking up my new horse tomorrow ? plan is to come home via the saddler and get him fitted as I need to pick up two saddles anyways.

Madame and I are away jumping on Sunday - just doing the 85 and the 90 as she hasn’t been out in a while and she’s had a few baby moments recently.

hope everyone has a good weekend

oldie48

Visit site
Love the matchy matchy, MP.
J!ffy, good luck in your test and SaddlePysch'D, don't spend all your inheritance on a horse, keep some back for tack and lessons!
I'm managing to keep Rose going, she's had a couple of sessions schooling with trainers, one planned and one unplanned! I've hacked her a couple of times, I am going to attempt a short pole work session this morning and I am taking her to a friend's to ride through some woods on Sunday. Yesterday eve I went to an inhand exhibition, which was interesting and something I'd like to have a go at. Monday I am off to AM Dressage, hoping to ride for part of the session but we'll have to see, couldn't manage it last week!

little_critter

Visit site
Another myquest outing this evening, actually feeling quite nervous because it’s a new venue for me (and a bit of a drive) and the practice run yesterday was pretty rubbish. Will just have to do our best.
Then intro to xc on Monday. Hoping not to break my wrist this time (tried to do our first xc on Aug bank hol last year and fell off before we’d even started!)

Chippers1

Visit site
Just seen Eland post the course photos for Monday, so gutted I can't go :( they've used the nicer smaller fences at number 3 and 5 (which I was worried about doing the bigger ones!) So we would have flown round, boo. There's always another time. Good luck to the three of you competing!

Friend is very kindly taking me for a jumping lesson tomorrow, think she feels sorry for me ?

Roxylola

Visit site
Oh, that's a real kicker chippers, so sorry you wont be there. I'm really puzzled with the course pictures because when we went I started with the small options but then did a lot of the 80s further round and I really cant picture the route. And I'm sulking because 70 horrid brush 3 to the 70 roll top did not ride as nicely as 80 horrid brush 3 to the 70 roll top ?
However, scary ditch brush after the water looks a bit more subdued and friendly from those pics - I think AE must have given it a good kicking while she was there

Chippers1

Visit site
It's quite straight forward when you walk it so it should hopefully make sense to you when you're there! No I agree with that, it's not a great line from 3 to 4, the bigger 30 fence is normally in the 70 so not sure what the decision was there.
Scary ditch brush ? hopefully some horses will brush it and squish it down a bit...

I'll be rooting for you all! I don't think spectators are allowed or I'd come and watch.

Friend who wanted to do the 80 pairs has somehow managed to convince me to do a pairs xc class somewhere else on the same day, but its 75-85cm! I agreed because I haven't been there before so I don't know the jumps and can't get my knickers in a twist about it, plus i know that the scary ditch brush in the 80 at Eland is 1m so I'd have to do over 85 anyway!

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
More practising at home and hacking for us after Llany was flooded. Terrible for them.

Working on rideability exercises using this:

20200828_161051, compressed.jpg

Is a variation on a Caroline Moore exercise using a square of poles and fences. Played with it a couple of days ago with Nix, have not wanted to get wet again since so plan to play with it with Reilee when can and then will play with it again with them both next week some time in between doing other stuff. They usually find exercises much easier the 2nd time onwards and will increase the height and width a little. Then will think of something else to engage all our brains(!)

Good luck to all those who get to go out competing and training this week!

J_sarahd

Visit site
Oh, that's a real kicker chippers, so sorry you wont be there. I'm really puzzled with the course pictures because when we went I started with the small options but then did a lot of the 80s further round and I really cant picture the route. And I'm sulking because 70 horrid brush 3 to the 70 roll top did not ride as nicely as 80 horrid brush 3 to the 70 roll top ?
However, scary ditch brush after the water looks a bit more subdued and friendly from those pics - I think AE must have given it a good kicking while she was there

That scary ditch brush is my nemesis I swear! I hope Badger realises it’s okay this time and, as I’m last in my section, I hope it’s been flattened a bit!!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Good luck to all getting out and about this weekend, and fingers crossed that the weather doesn't scupper too many plans!

Things didn't quite go to plan with share horse as within a few minutes of starting my lesson it was deduced that he is a little bit lame (useful experience for me to learn some signs/feel of lameness when riding and to watch him trotting up etc). Keeping everything crossed it's nothing too serious, and hopefully will still get to see him next week even if there's no riding.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Dim Tim has his first BD outing on Sunday. No idea what to expect given the week we have had. His last scheduled outing didn't happen after he tantrumed on the ramp and took a shoe off. Then he was naughty out hacking and dumped his veteran rider who rather amazingly bounced off the tarmac and is now terrified of hacking out again. First time anyone has come off and Dim Tim lived up to his name by being dim and just stood there waiting for further instructions. Just as well because he was a good mile from home.

Todays lesson did not happen as the lorry put a red warning light on as we left. Hopefully Sunday will be a nice day out and Dim Tim will put at least one of his huge feet forwards in a straight line. He is on a final warning at the moment !