August Bank Holiday weekend plans

little_critter

Visit site
Another myquest outing this evening, actually feeling quite nervous because it’s a new venue for me (and a bit of a drive) and the practice run yesterday was pretty rubbish. Will just have to do our best.
Then intro to xc on Monday. Hoping not to break my wrist this time (tried to do our first xc on Aug bank hol last year and fell off before we’d even started!)

well it all went rather better than anticipated (apart from the bank holiday traffic jams). T got his mojo back...I just need to learn how to make the best of that mojo and focus his sparkle; at the moment he has a nice level of energy but we lose concentration and contact / balance. Very pleased with him though and came home with 2 rosettes, one was a first!!! ?
Venue was nice and I expect we’ll go back, just not on a bank holiday weekend.

ScampiBigMan

Visit site
Great set up with thepoles SBM!
Took a while to set up! Hence wanting to use it a few times before moving again. Got a dry window last night so had a first go with Reilee. She jumped from and back onto the square well on both reins so was pleased with her.

Nix jumped into the arena (rug on and all) last night (down the downhill path and then in over the front) as was setting off on pre school hack with Reilee. Daft as a brush, gets jealous when ride Reilee and take her out - always wants to be playing. Had to be retrieved before could set off (again).

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
since we have no excitements I'm just going to contribute pictures :p

Here's Kira Clip Clop modelling the new graffiti, looks nice on her too I think :)

Timed it wrong to catch in this morning and they were both idiots, initially I thought it was because it feels like the seasons are changing but NOPE it was the racehorses zipping up the gallops next door :oops::p I'm usually earlier than them, will have to remember that in future!

118637052_3573747895970028_1550312779411925283_o.jpg

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Well, back home. We completed the course but B had odd ideas part way round and decided to goggle at things..... anything.... cumulative elimination as 3 stops, all at different fences, all ones she has jumped before, but obviously never had flags on, nor fence judges cars etc, not making excuses but that what she was goggling at.....
Warm up was interesting as she was fine till it filled up, then got v over excited and started leaping about 5 mins before we got going, grr!
Got v gung ho by fence 5 and hurtled up the step and I had not a lot of brakes to the next fence, then by the time we had charged through the water the 1st time, I managed to regain a bit more control.
I'm going to have to put in a lot more xc solo work I think as when she has another horse nearby or even behind, she settles better. However on her own she really gets distracted.
Hey ho, out again tomorrow.....

Chippers1

Visit site
Jumping lesson was good today, Buzz was equally really spooky and really lazy (turns out he needed a wee the whole time, which I thought might have been the case and gave him ample opportunity to go but he chose to go on the concrete as soon as he came out of the school....)
So it was a difficult ride today! I found this useful as he's normally so well behaved at our lessons and can be like this at shows so it was really helpful to get some tips about riding him in this mood.
Jumped around a 70/75 course then finished on some 80s. Only crashed though one fence after I dropped him at the last stride (naught me, not good when he's in this mood!)

Really pleased with him though and even more pleased with the fact that 80s are starting to look small :)

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I've just seen the Eland times and my SJ clashes with Katie's XC which is very annoying. I might pull out. I don't want her having to manage on her own. Grrr

Roxylola

Visit site
I've just seen the Eland times and my SJ clashes with Katie's XC which is very annoying. I might pull out. I don't want her having to manage on her own. Grrr
Oh that's a bit rotten. Can you take izzy to help? Or ask to swap times for either. It's only getting her on and going really isnt it, and you can help her in the SJ warm up

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I'm not sure I want to be away from the course while she is out there! I feel I need to see her round safely. Or is that a bit pathetic? I've emailed Eland to ask if I can do my SJ out of order so fingers crossed....

Pippity

Visit site
I had a ridden pilates session this evening. I wasn't particularly impressed at first - Blue wasn't co-operating, the big elastic band round my wrists just made it impossible to make her co-operate, and the franklin balls were frankly a nuisance. However, once the instructor put gigantic elastic bands from one foot to the opposite shoulder, the difference was amazing. We trotted effortlessly in a straight line! On the left rein!

So I've got things to focus on, and it's confirmed that a HELL of a lot of Blue's issues are due to me being wonky. So I guess it's time to actually have physio for me, rather than just my horse.

Roxylola

Visit site
Ooh, I did manage to sneak a flat lesson in. We worked a lot on suppleness, my instructor had me attempting some travers - it's a work in progress ?. She commented, you need to work on this as it will help the canter. My response was that I need to work on it as I want to go PSG so we need to be able to _do_ it. ?
She was still chuckling about 10 minutes later at the way I'd responded and the speed of it

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Feeling very conflicted now! I'd got my head around not riding and felt ok about it. But they have moved my SJ times so I am back on again but am feeling very 'meh' about the whole thing now. I am struggling to work out why I feel that way. I think it is because I want to support Katie and also because I think that hedge with a ditch in front is an unfair question for Toby's level of experience. (Unfair on him I mean). I've just had a chat with my RI who told me that I need to ride it 'ugly' - keep his head up so he can't look into the ditch and wear spurs! But everything about how I train horses is about building their confidence by giving them time to understand the question and taking it slowly so they feel good about what they are doing. Not getting over a fence they are unsure of any which way. After all, this is an unaffiliated 50 not a qualifier or a final! I might be willing to use up some 'jumping credit' with pressure in an event that really matters but this one doesn't. So I am definitely not 'riding ugly' just to get over. So my choices are ride HC for the experience and miss that fence out completely. Present him once riding normally and hope the fact that he has already jumped 5 by then means he is in a rhythm and confident enough to take it on. But if not just move on and not jump it. Or pull out of the event altogether. Riding knowing I'll probably be eliminated feels a bit meh. And underneath it all I am just so, so sad that I am not storming round the 90 or the 100 on Amber! So I can't work out if the meh-ness is E related or not-being-on-Amber related. Feeling this way also means the whole faff of it - the juggling 2 horses and getting up at the crack of dawn - feels harder work than it would if I were truly up for it.

I just know I am sad, unmotivated and can't decided what to do. This is a training show for experience in a buzzy atmosphere. So a nice dressage, clear SJ and clear XC with a fence missing would be a great experience for him even if its an E on paper so I should just do that? But that really does not inspire me though I don't know why. I just miss riding Amber and would give anything to be bathing and plaiting her up today instead of him. :(

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Sorry that was a very whingy post. I am incredibly lucky to be able to do a sport I love and to have 2 awesome horses to do it with. Ignore me. Or give me a cyber slap to go along with the massive kick up the ar$e I am in the process of giving myself! I think this is mosly about Amber. It's my first competition on a different horse.

humblepie

Visit site
Ambers Echo. I’d said use it as training and miss that fence. Then you’ve hopefully both had a good experience and take progress away from it. If you’re not convinced then you may ride with less commitment than normal and not enjoy any of the day. No need to put undue pressure on you off horse.