August Bank Holiday Weekend Plans

Sheep

Visit site
Oooooh excited to start this… maybe a bit early?!

I have a lesson tonight with my regular instructor - looking forward to it, haven’t had one for a few weeks. On Saturday I am going to a dressage clinic with Kate Dwyer, there’s a lesson and then some classroom-y type things too which will be good fun, I hope.

Wish me luck - Monday I am doing my B+E test ?

millikins

Visit site
Good luck Sheep. I'm going to Edenbridge and Oxted, it's the first proper show I've been to in 18 months. Only as a spectator, it would have been great to get our foal and his mum out but daughter is 38 weeks pregnant so all horsey plans are minimalist and subject to immediate cancellation if needed :oops:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Happy hacking for me and B.

Taking little A to the RC show on Monday for an in hand class and her 1st ever ridden class, leading rein with 2 yr old on board. I'm hoping she'll just slow trot, but it's a big ask as she's previously been asked to properly run out.... she's also only been backed by said 2 yr old....
Am not asking lots really, v glad tots mum is v v horsey!

Good luck to those competing and have a good time x

Bernster

Visit site
Had a good lesson on new boy Bertie last night. I’m not doing much schooling in the arena as it’s a bit small and he’s still a little unbalanced. But we had glimpses of good work and it was def an improvement. Lots to work on but he always makes me smile and I’m feeling more positive about flatwork.

we’re doing some diy jump cross on Saturday by putting a few sj up in the hay field which has now been cut. Before that, a shopping trip to ingatestone tack shop which does a yummy breakfast as an added bonus. Bertie’s been in borrowed tack so he will get his own bridle now.

Fun ride Monday with finnegan who’s a little cracker at those. Helping to tune him up ready for drag hunting which he’s brilliant at, woohoo.

AandK

Visit site
My only plans this weekend are farrier tomorrow and to give my two a bath on Saturday. Looking forward to the extra day off though!
Charlie managed to lose one of his boots in the field the other day, they are usually very easy to spot but I have not found it despite much searching (5 acre field, lots of long grass/thistles) so I think Mr Fox made off with it... Gutting as they are not cheap! Just waiting on some second hand ones I found on FB to arrive and we can start walking out again.

GinaGeo

Visit site
*whispers*
We’re going Eventing. First time for Pod. And I haven’t been since Solo retired from Eventing in 2017.

No idea how it will go. Depends which Pod gets off the lorry ? I’ll either be wishing I’d given him some oats. Or I’ll be hanging onto my neck strap for grim death as the tigger on a pogo stick makes a reappearance. Probably both ?

In reality he’s grown up hugely in the last couple of months and it should be a hugely educational outing for him. And for me in figuring out what works best for him.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Good luck @Sheep and all out competing!

I have (whisper it) actual plans this weekend. We're going to a fun ride on Monday. Which is not that exciting, but I don't have my own transport, plus covid and then a lack of saddle have made things difficult, so this is our first time going out to something together. Hoping it all works out and it is a good experience for us both!

I haven't been out to a horsey event for at least 5 years, either!

JackInABox

Visit site
Hugely excited to have something to post in this thread for once! I’ve got an assessment lesson at a dressage yard that has Iberian schoolmasters tomorrow - I’ve warned them that I’m very much a novice, so I’m not expecting to be on a schoolmaster any time soon but it’s something to work towards. Then on Sunday I’m trekking 3.5 hours on public transport for a side saddle lesson at a riding school I’ve not tried before, but is the closest to where I live via public transport. Hopefully I’ll be able to get to both semi-regularly from now on if the lessons go well.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Good luck everyone competing! I’m on call all weekend and the bank holiday Monday too, so nothing exciting here. realistically can’t even hack out ?

probably will just school Pepsi, might venture into the jump/xc field at the yard as think horses have been moved off it now.

Maybe do some more loading practice (but seems to be cracked now, fingers crossed!) All it took was putting some straw down to travel then one session with some patience and a rope halter, he must have been slipping a bit on the journeys and scared himself, as he was fine initially.

and Henry’s advert MIGHT just go up on Monday, but don’t tell him that or he might try and sabotage the situation again ?

J_sarahd

Visit site
Two friends from my yard are going to Eland on Monday for their 50cm ODE and I’m grooming for them. (If anyone else will be there riding/grooming/volunteering let me know!!). One of them has never done an ODE before and the other did one at Vale View and it didnt go particularly well. So, I’m jumping with them on Saturday, taking them coursewalking on Sunday and then off eventing on Monday.

They’re both quite a bit younger than me and I’ve known both of them since they were nervous preteens so I’m honestly so proud of them whatever happens.

j1ffy

Visit site
It's been an educational week this week with Chilli but I think we've made some great strides forward (more in the 3/4yo thread if anyone's interested!), mostly thanks to my fab trainer who gave us a lesson on Wednesday.

We're doing our usual ploddy gossip hack today with Pocholo and his loaner, which is ideal after a busy week for Chilli. I need to take the lorry in for service tomorrow, hopefully the M4/M5 aren't too horrendous!

Then on Sunday...Chilli's first competition! Only an Intro test at the yard and it's really for the experience of a shared warm-up, moving to a different arena etc. but should be fun. Pocholo's loaner is writing for the judge so I'll get the inside-track on what she really thinks of him!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Both boys went for a quick jump lesson with my normal trainer yesterday. First time that he has seen Isaac and was very complimentary about him, so that's good. Simon was a bit uninspiring, but that is nothing out of the ordinary for him ;)

Simon at Llanymynech in the IN on Sunday, and I may think about taking Isaac over to Kelsall for some low key XC potterings on the BH Monday since the forecast is still good.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
In fact, here is the young one having his SJ lesson - a few moments of over confident behaviour at times thinking he can whizz through related distances, but he seems to be enjoying the job! Just a short session, keeping it simple and not too tiring for him.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

TheMule

Visit site
My plans have changed as the baby horse is a bit unlevel so now dramatic ginger has to get her act in gear- RC SJ lesson tomorrow and then on Monday she has her first competition since it all went disastrously wrong back in April. We have since had a little bit of veterinary intervention, done a lot of homework and should be ready to tackle the demons ?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Both boys went for a quick jump lesson with my normal trainer yesterday. First time that he has seen Isaac and was very complimentary about him, so that's good. Simon was a bit uninspiring, but that is nothing out of the ordinary for him ;)

Simon at Llanymynech in the IN on Sunday, and I may think about taking Isaac over to Kelsall for some low key XC potterings on the BH Monday since the forecast is still good.

It looks a lot better between hand and leg. I think you will get much better results long term and develop a better jump. He is turning into a nice horse.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
It looks a lot better between hand and leg. I think you will get much better results long term and develop a better jump. He is turning into a nice horse.

He's already a very easy person to deal with - nice on the ground and straightforward under saddle with decent movement. So just trying to add in the technique on top of that! Was reassured to be told yesterday that being as blood as he is (nearly 80%) it is totally normally for the technique part to take longer to establish. I think we're getting there by keeping fences varied and colourful, generally using big forward groundlines, and then riding the canter to get deep to the groundline so that he has to make a shape. He has a huge canter for a horse that is only really just 16hh - 12ft canter is there but has to be managed carefully as he easily slides into a 13ft or 14ft canter through enthusiasm.

Birker2020

Visit site
We have a yard fun show tomorrow organised by the y.o and a couple of liveries, there's a few things like egg and spoon, sack race, apple bobbing that kind of thing followed by a BBQ. Theres about 60 of us going so I'm really looking forward to going and releasing 'my inner child' it should be fun and it will be nice to catch up with some of my friends in person rather than via whats app. And after being good for so long and losing over a stone I'm looking forward to tucking into a mice juicy cheeseburger or two ?

On Monday there's a Countryside show on so me and a couple of friends are going for a few hours, it will be fun.

Then its Tuesday and Wednesday at work and a week off to The Isle of Wight so really looking forward to thr next 2 weeks.

Have a cracking weekend everyone ??

MuddyMonster

Visit site
We purposely made no plans as pony had an MOT week this week, so wasn't sure whether we'd need the weekend off for minor (or possibly major) tweaks and adjustments.

Happily, we've been given the all clear & no time off needed so planning to hack in the sunshine all weekend :)

Have a lovely BH weekend all!