August Bank Holiday Weekend Plans

nikkimariet

Visit site
Ahh, this reminded me of something. Mine will come a bit high sometimes when first figuring something out and some trainers will be so focused on the neck and "neck down" that when I follow their "neck down" insistence, it all goes to pot. They can't seem to realize if we focus on the rest of the body and mastering the exercise/movement, the neck will come. The comfort and confidence in the movement will come. It's not always instantaneous.

There have been a few times when I've taught my horse something, had to polish something, or called out a weak spot we've had and just been like, well, this is going going be a bit ugly for a moment here before it gets to where it has to be. It's training.

I think some want fast results. They want it now and to look like how if should be. Which, isn't always how it is! Or they just don't have a feeling for the horse. I've been told many times that I have a really good "feeling" so when I ride with a trainer that has me work against that feeling because they have a "one size fits all" approach, or have no feeling/flexibility in their training (might be better on a horse, idk) it's incredibly frustrating. I think the only reason we've come "so far" (could be further but that's the overly critical me) in 3.5 years, with me, a non dressage rider, and horse who was the greenest of all beans, is because of this feeling and understanding I have. Not to pat myself on the back too hard, but I feel like that is part of it. It also amazes me at how blind/deaf/whatever some people are to the horse and the horse figuring things out.

So that's the end of my long rant ?

That being said, we're schooling today, the probably a day off tomorrow. Nothing too exciting. We've also schooled a wee bit canter zig and zag here and there. Turns out the change left to right goes better when I remember I have an inside leg ? who would've thought.

Love this and agree whole heartedly. Horses have never read a book of dressage A to Z in their life, sometimes we have to remember that.

nikkimariet

Visit site
I got back from France yesterday. Bog seems sound but waiting until he gets checked by vet tomorrow before properly riding (overtrimmed feet when shod).

I am off to pick to Bear shortly and need to show him under saddle briefly to vet tomorrow (it’s the only place the lameness shows) to know if he’s truly “ok”, with a scan of course.

So how do people get back on horses who’ve had 3 months off, especially 5 year olds lol. I’m thinking I’ll just tack up and be led a lap around the school!? He obviously can’t ge lunged etc due to injury.

When I brought Rooni back into work earlier this year after 3 months off with a mammoth splint I did lunge him - appreciate you can’t - but mentally he’s 2 years behind his 7 years of age. So it felt appropriate! I hate lunging anyway so I just hand walk / long line and do some ground work before getting on. Hope he behaves :)

Wishfilly

Visit site
Pretty successful fun ride today- very excited pony in the lorry park and the first three fields, hacked round the rest really sensibly, coped well with everything including horses passing, managed two *tiny* jumps. Went in front, behind, in the middle. Loaded and unloaded on a strange lorry with pretty minimal fuss (including having to back off when we got home.

Actually really pleased for our first outing together- think it was a good experience for us both!

Well done to all with competition success this weekend, sounds like some of you have done really well!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Mainly a baby-horse weekend here. Kira went on hacking club yesterday and has a lesson on Wednesday so didn't school today as she would have done 3 days in a row.
Instead, Frankel has progressed to clanking stirrups and wearing a breastplate, understands the bit a lot more and has let me clamber up stepping in a pedal without showing any sort of concern at all! If OH had been around I'd have sat up on him because he feels ready, but no sense in doing that with no help. Bundled Hera onto the lorry again too, she was quite content for me to close the loading gates but thought it was concerning when they were opened again :p

All slowly trundling along in the right direction. I'm enjoying pottering about with these 2, only having 1 in work is more manageable but there's nothing like feeling like you are making big leaps forward with a horse and the young ones are great for that :)

241082647_4649428588401948_2588133521573205960_n.jpg

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Henry’s advert went up today and I’ve had a crazy amount of interest. Probably about 20 people contact me since the ad went live about 12ish :oops: Maybe should have put him up for more money ?

I’ve provisionally got 4 people viewing him this week, trying to stick to one a day rather than have anyone disappointed or with a wasted journey. Plus a long list of people who want to know he’s not sold after the weekend. At least I feel more confident that I can almost pick his home now. The first person sounds ideal on paper and seems very keen…

I’ve never sold a horse before, it’s both nerve wracking and stressful!

J_sarahd

Visit site
I loved grooming for my friends today. I love Eland anyway but it was nice to be able to have the excitement without the stress of riding. Very proud of them both. Eventing is my favourite anyway, but today made me love it even more.

It definitely made me excited for Saturday though!

Bernster

Visit site
Went to a fun ride with a friend today. Took finnegan for a low key outing. Good job as her horse was a bit wired and finnegan is chilled so he makes a good nanny horse. No jumps today just lots of lovely fields. The ground was lovely so we had some fabulous canters.

palo1

Visit site
Well although it hasn't felt like much forward motion I think Alw and I have reached a couple of milestones. On Saturday morning we headed off for some hound exercise. Alw has seen hounds once before -as a 3 year old and was interested but perfectly calm and patient but Saturday was due to be a more structured encounter with more questions asked. We headed off in the box with one of her fieldmates, arrived at destination, unloaded and tacked up beautifully then headed off in the wrong direction...!! An hour and several stiff hills later we finally tracked down hounds who were a good distance away on the other side of an open hill. I didn't really see the need for a very steep descent and climb up the other side of the valley so we stayed where we were though her fieldmate was taken off sharpish to join hounds and other horses. Alw coped brilliantly with that in fact - good girl!! The sound of hounds perked her up but she was required only to walk and wait with one other friend whilst hounds pottered along. Occasionally she could see her fieldmate coming back towards her , and him calling out to her, but she was perfectly polite about that. It was quite tedious for her to learn to stand still and not either fidget or want to go somewhere; quite a hard lesson in fact. She was, of course allowed to graze but moor grass just isn't that delish! There were very, very few other horses in attendance so it was an easy morning for her in that sense but it was so low-key it was virtually non-existent and I was a little disappointed in all honesty but we did manage a first; Alw realised, after 2 long years that she can actually do a wee under saddle!! This has been a bit of an issue in fact and I have taken every opportunity to try to encourage her to relax enough previously; her friends all do it and I KNOW that at times she has needed a wee but hung on for home poor thing. But Saturday, at long last she got there. I hate the idea of horse being uncomfortable so hopefully now she has got the hang of that :) :)

Today we went off for a group ride with 10 other horses; none of whom she has met before so she had to hoick her brave pants up and not make a fuss about strangers behind her. I was so proud of her as she was a complete pro. She allowed the others to come up behind her and to trot and canter away from her. This is the biggest group of horses she has actually encountered at close quarters so it was quite a big ask and whilst she is pretty sociable and well adjusted, in fact she will stand her ground if hassled so it is lovely to think she has got some natural good manners hahahahahaha!! This bodes well for further group stuff and more than makes up for Saturday's slight non-event. Alw was also able to show off to everyone what a very sassy mare she is as she was quite happy to ride off the feral ponies on the common; I have taught her to do this (for safety reasons) but she has previously had a wing-man in case things get too spicy for her. Today she was able to deal with the group of 12 norty ferals all on her own thus impressing the rather less 'wild and woolly' riders we were with. Her pretty face was also much admired - she stood out in a group of mostly ex racing TBs though there was a lovely bay connie along too today. :) :) She charmed everyone over the lovely picnic lunch as she was very quiet and polite though kept trying to nick my glass of Rose!! A very kind gent on an impressive TB very sweetly told me that she reminded him of his very much loved pony and gave her several polos; she would probably have gone home with him if she could have done I think!

She left the group on her own and tootled home so politely that I actually felt rather emotional. I am so proud of her courage and good sense, so proud of her happy, willing and trusting outlook. Those small achievements this weekend are very little in the scheme of things and I guess all things we feel we should be able to take for granted but some of them are still 'firsts' and I have had horses that find those simple things more difficult so I know that they are 'real' questions. She has done good this weekend:) :)

Wishfilly

Visit site
Well although it hasn't felt like much forward motion I think Alw and I have reached a couple of milestones. On Saturday morning we headed off for some hound exercise. Alw has seen hounds once before -as a 3 year old and was interested but perfectly calm and patient but Saturday was due to be a more structured encounter with more questions asked. We headed off in the box with one of her fieldmates, arrived at destination, unloaded and tacked up beautifully then headed off in the wrong direction...!! An hour and several stiff hills later we finally tracked down hounds who were a good distance away on the other side of an open hill. I didn't really see the need for a very steep descent and climb up the other side of the valley so we stayed where we were though her fieldmate was taken off sharpish to join hounds and other horses. Alw coped brilliantly with that in fact - good girl!! The sound of hounds perked her up but she was required only to walk and wait with one other friend whilst hounds pottered along. Occasionally she could see her fieldmate coming back towards her , and him calling out to her, but she was perfectly polite about that. It was quite tedious for her to learn to stand still and not either fidget or want to go somewhere; quite a hard lesson in fact. She was, of course allowed to graze but moor grass just isn't that delish! There were very, very few other horses in attendance so it was an easy morning for her in that sense but it was so low-key it was virtually non-existent and I was a little disappointed in all honesty but we did manage a first; Alw realised, after 2 long years that she can actually do a wee under saddle!! This has been a bit of an issue in fact and I have taken every opportunity to try to encourage her to relax enough previously; her friends all do it and I KNOW that at times she has needed a wee but hung on for home poor thing. But Saturday, at long last she got there. I hate the idea of horse being uncomfortable so hopefully now she has got the hang of that :):)

Today we went off for a group ride with 10 other horses; none of whom she has met before so she had to hoick her brave pants up and not make a fuss about strangers behind her. I was so proud of her as she was a complete pro. She allowed the others to come up behind her and to trot and canter away from her. This is the biggest group of horses she has actually encountered at close quarters so it was quite a big ask and whilst she is pretty sociable and well adjusted, in fact she will stand her ground if hassled so it is lovely to think she has got some natural good manners hahahahahaha!! This bodes well for further group stuff and more than makes up for Saturday's slight non-event. Alw was also able to show off to everyone what a very sassy mare she is as she was quite happy to ride off the feral ponies on the common; I have taught her to do this (for safety reasons) but she has previously had a wing-man in case things get too spicy for her. Today she was able to deal with the group of 12 norty ferals all on her own thus impressing the rather less 'wild and woolly' riders we were with. Her pretty face was also much admired - she stood out in a group of mostly ex racing TBs though there was a lovely bay connie along too today. :):) She charmed everyone over the lovely picnic lunch as she was very quiet and polite though kept trying to nick my glass of Rose!! A very kind gent on an impressive TB very sweetly told me that she reminded him of his very much loved pony and gave her several polos; she would probably have gone home with him if she could have done I think!

She left the group on her own and tootled home so politely that I actually felt rather emotional. I am so proud of her courage and good sense, so proud of her happy, willing and trusting outlook. Those small achievements this weekend are very little in the scheme of things and I guess all things we feel we should be able to take for granted but some of them are still 'firsts' and I have had horses that find those simple things more difficult so I know that they are 'real' questions. She has done good this weekend:):)

She sounds like an amazing horse- your pride in her just shines through in this post!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Fab post Palo1. I don’t think those achievements are little at all. I think that there are many people who struggle daily with those ‘little’ things and that having a confident, willing, calm, happy horse is the highest achievement! They are prey and herd animals. So happily doing those sorts of things doesn’t happen automatically.

Birker2020

Visit site
Sounds like everyone had a fun bank holiday weekend, I did for certain.

The yard show was a scream and we had a good run on the treasure hunt. The apple I got straight away on the apple bobbing, but the egg and spoon was a nightmare!
On the Sunday we went to a large shopping complex in Redditch as I wanted to get a jacket for holiday, something for the cooler evening on the beach walking the dog.
Then show yesterday at Hanbury was lovely, some great fancy dress, the lad dressed as a tractor won first prize, amazing costumes all round.

The food was extortionate, £3.50 for about ten chips, the usual but you come to expect it at these type of shows and we enjoyed it for what it was.

The Gary Barlow tribute act was amazing, we were singing along. And i got to hold my first chick, a one week old hen. And I also got to stroke my first giant tortoise too which was interesting. The show jumping was good and the working hunter and the rare breeds.

When I got back home I hit the gym and had a lovely swim in the warm water and a 20 minute relax in the jacuzzi, a brilliant end to a lovely weekend.

Now I just need to get through today and tomorrow at work and it's off to the Isle of Wight for a week with partner and O/H, with plenty of money for once as I don't sadly have a horse anymore to spend it on.

So I will be horse shopping as soon as we get back which is exciting again.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Well although it hasn't felt like much forward motion I think Alw and I have reached a couple of milestones. On Saturday morning we headed off for some hound exercise. Alw has seen hounds once before -as a 3 year old and was interested but perfectly calm and patient but Saturday was due to be a more structured encounter with more questions asked. We headed off in the box with one of her fieldmates, arrived at destination, unloaded and tacked up beautifully then headed off in the wrong direction...!! An hour and several stiff hills later we finally tracked down hounds who were a good distance away on the other side of an open hill. I didn't really see the need for a very steep descent and climb up the other side of the valley so we stayed where we were though her fieldmate was taken off sharpish to join hounds and other horses. Alw coped brilliantly with that in fact - good girl!! The sound of hounds perked her up but she was required only to walk and wait with one other friend whilst hounds pottered along. Occasionally she could see her fieldmate coming back towards her , and him calling out to her, but she was perfectly polite about that. It was quite tedious for her to learn to stand still and not either fidget or want to go somewhere; quite a hard lesson in fact. She was, of course allowed to graze but moor grass just isn't that delish! There were very, very few other horses in attendance so it was an easy morning for her in that sense but it was so low-key it was virtually non-existent and I was a little disappointed in all honesty but we did manage a first; Alw realised, after 2 long years that she can actually do a wee under saddle!! This has been a bit of an issue in fact and I have taken every opportunity to try to encourage her to relax enough previously; her friends all do it and I KNOW that at times she has needed a wee but hung on for home poor thing. But Saturday, at long last she got there. I hate the idea of horse being uncomfortable so hopefully now she has got the hang of that :):)

Today we went off for a group ride with 10 other horses; none of whom she has met before so she had to hoick her brave pants up and not make a fuss about strangers behind her. I was so proud of her as she was a complete pro. She allowed the others to come up behind her and to trot and canter away from her. This is the biggest group of horses she has actually encountered at close quarters so it was quite a big ask and whilst she is pretty sociable and well adjusted, in fact she will stand her ground if hassled so it is lovely to think she has got some natural good manners hahahahahaha!! This bodes well for further group stuff and more than makes up for Saturday's slight non-event. Alw was also able to show off to everyone what a very sassy mare she is as she was quite happy to ride off the feral ponies on the common; I have taught her to do this (for safety reasons) but she has previously had a wing-man in case things get too spicy for her. Today she was able to deal with the group of 12 norty ferals all on her own thus impressing the rather less 'wild and woolly' riders we were with. Her pretty face was also much admired - she stood out in a group of mostly ex racing TBs though there was a lovely bay connie along too today. :):) She charmed everyone over the lovely picnic lunch as she was very quiet and polite though kept trying to nick my glass of Rose!! A very kind gent on an impressive TB very sweetly told me that she reminded him of his very much loved pony and gave her several polos; she would probably have gone home with him if she could have done I think!

She left the group on her own and tootled home so politely that I actually felt rather emotional. I am so proud of her courage and good sense, so proud of her happy, willing and trusting outlook. Those small achievements this weekend are very little in the scheme of things and I guess all things we feel we should be able to take for granted but some of them are still 'firsts' and I have had horses that find those simple things more difficult so I know that they are 'real' questions. She has done good this weekend:):)

She sounds amazing Palo. You must be very proud knowing that you helped install those values and made her the lovely sensible horse that she is.

Although I've backed youngsters before I would usually send them off to be ridden away as its not something I particularly enjoy.

I'm so glad I decided to keep Bo at home and do the work myself this time, with the help of a really good instructor who is very experienced with youngsters. He's just such a good egg that I'm actually finding it really rewarding and we are well on the way to establishing a good partnership.

Now we have 'forward' and he reliably pops in to a nice trot at the first time of asking, we are now working on helping his balance in to corners by slowing my rising while keeping leg on so we don't lose the quality of the trot.

He tends to fall in on the straight sides if the trot is too forward and tends to speed up when inside leg is applied, so I practiced using a small half halt with the outside rein to let him know that more speed is not required.

It's all starting to look a lot more tidy with moments of him reaching forward in to the contact. Really pleased with him!

Sunday we popped him on to the trailer and took him to the Trans Pennine Trail. I knew he was going to find this challenging as it's always busy with joggers and cyclists so I left the saddle at home and led him.

For the first 10 minutes he was like an unexploded bomb but managed to keep a lid on it, and was actually very good after that once he realised that I wasn't going to let anything eat him. He was actually a bit grumpy when we turned round as he was actually quite enjoying himself I think.

Yesterday, I initially viewed as a bit of a disaster but realised that their were still some good lessons learned.

Planned a hack out with daughter on her pony, but as we were tacking up I could see rain heading our way and the wind started to pick up. Bo was fidgety and I wasn't sure if we should go or not but shoved hat firmly on head, mounted up and off we went!

Bo was pulling a bit so we decided to head up the hill first to settle him before going back down the hill to the bridleway. Unfortunately the heavens opened (with unforecast rain and!) and as the tarmac below our place can be very slippery when it's wet we decided to give it up as a bad job and go home.

Bo was very forward going as he becomes quite competitive in company so I made him stay behind daughter's pony on the way home which made him very cross but he did as asked.

So it could be seen as a bit disastrous but I mounted up and rode out when the weather wasn't perfect (usually very much a fair weather rider), Bo did everything I asked of him, if not particularly graciously and at no time did I feel worried or unsafe which shows just how much I trust him. ? Also, Bo had to accept that he can't always be at the front so their were lots of good lessons learned from the shortest hack in history! ?

GinaGeo

Visit site
We went Eventing. Pod’s first time. And my first time in four years. Oh it was nice to be out again. Nothing else quite compares.

He was a pleasure to take. Chilled. Polite. Patient.

Nice polite dressage test for 34.6. A lot more to come, but can’t fault him today.

Mega green in the jumping. Mostly about what was going on outside the arena. Jumping the jumps was the easy bit. Getting to the first one was the hardest bit he was so busy goggling at the marquees ? . He jumped really sweetly. Was always going to go. One pole down when heading towards the marquees of doom. But gained confidence all the way.

Started the XC well and was merrily bowling along. The water was situated as badly for us as it could be ? Early on. It was on the turn away from the warm up and SJ and a slope down into it. He didn’t read it very well and his brain got stuck. Called it a day.

Luckily they were open for schooling today. So pulled some strings at work (thank you for an understanding manager!) and we returned.

He walked straight into the water when able to come in from the flat entry and then trotted straight down the slope into the water. Clever baby. Glad it isn’t a ‘water’ issue and more a not understanding that question issue. But still more homework to do.

We completed the course, he was a bit tired after yesterday, but it was a very valuable education to jump properly ‘dressed’ fences and finish the course.

Trying to find another course now to pop round now to keep the momentum up.

741710AF-22BB-44C6-8180-8C6CCECE2750.jpeg
02D30548-EA22-4D8B-88C4-D1AB1DD0ADBD.jpg

Last edited:

Birker2020

Visit site
Mainly a baby-horse weekend here. Kira went on hacking club yesterday and has a lesson on Wednesday so didn't school today as she would have done 3 days in a row.
Instead, Frankel has progressed to clanking stirrups and wearing a breastplate, understands the bit a lot more and has let me clamber up stepping in a pedal without showing any sort of concern at all! If OH had been around I'd have sat up on him because he feels ready, but no sense in doing that with no help. Bundled Hera onto the lorry again too, she was quite content for me to close the loading gates but thought it was concerning when they were opened again :p

All slowly trundling along in the right direction. I'm enjoying pottering about with these 2, only having 1 in work is more manageable but there's nothing like feeling like you are making big leaps forward with a horse and the young ones are great for that :)

241082647_4649428588401948_2588133521573205960_n.jpg
nice horse Milliepops

Alibear

Visit site
We've had a fun weekend at the Western Equestrian Society Nationals. About 60 horses were competing in various classes, and it was great to catch up with everyone again. Pilot error on Friday lost us 3rd place, but we made up for it with a 6th and a 3rd in Sundays classes with 17 and 10 in each. I was really pleased with Fridays run despite my error, and it was a score that would hold up well in any competition, so something to be proud of. Amber coped well with the atmosphere, trade stands, spectators and all the show goings-on. She just got a little sticky in two patterns; one lost a lot of points as she was pretty cheeky, but I got her through it, and the next day it was quite minor, and a good kick got it sorted, and the rest went well. I'm really pleased with her, she was very pleased to be back in her field yesterday, and we're hoping to go for a little hack to stretch her legs this evening. She's super-fit again now, and I need to maintain that ready for the breed show in 3 weeks. I'm also hoping the show photographer gots some nice pictures as they will be our first ones :) We both learned a lot and have a nice point to build on now.

milliepops

Visit site
Just sliding into the back of the thread as we had a lesson this morning, really fantastic ride that just had me grinning from ear to ear throughout. Kira is so up for her work at the moment, we had a scoot through a fair bit of stuff, developing the passage again - she's definitely understood this now and even feels like she might be enjoying herself just a teeeeeeeeny bit ;) trainer following us around clapping at her - this is Classical Dressage we're doing here folks :p but it makes her try that little bit harder without making her feel overfaced by pressure.

Then a look at other stuff I've just been chipping away at, GP half passes all groovy - the angle is really comfortable for her now in a quality trot as the pi/pa work has cemented the activity. and some 1 tempis which I've had to deconstruct to teach myself to sit IN the saddle not get pinged up her neck. What a cool pony :cool:

241137940_4652760238068783_8953388279757048636_n.jpg

J_sarahd

Visit site
Majorly stressing now as I just had a flatwork lesson and pony decided that he would like to buck during every right rein canter transition. He’s been fine up until this and the rest of the work was spot on. I did do a new stretch with his weaker leg before riding so I’m hoping it was because of that.

Bernster

Visit site
Kira seems like a poppet! Although I dont think she’s easy, but she does seem to be little dressage pocket rocket.

I’m celebrating the little things! It’s taking me a while to get the hang of Bertie in the school, not helped as our school is a bit small so the canter is too hairy for me to try it in there (it’s fine out in the open). It’s been about 3 months now I think. he started out a bit twisted in his head and neck, chomping on his bit, too fast and losing rhythm, and falling in. Wonder of wonders - yesterday we managed to stay on the outside track, did accurate circles and centre lines, all in a reasonable outline, soft and swinging with no chomping, falling in or twisting. Tada! A lot of work has gone into getting here but it’s lovely when it starts to pay off.

I never remember to take pictures but this is one the physio sent as she’s keeping a track of his sessions.

8661BEFD-F91E-4E3C-9C08-F54B29F003E1.jpeg

milliepops

Visit site
good stuff Bernster :)

Poppet.... on the ground, yes, completely adorable.... but she's always pretty fierce under saddle! today she came out tossing her blonde hair about being offended about sharing an arena, and started out napping because someone dared open the door to come in from the yard opposite. I can only ride her indoors with the doors shut otherwise she runs off with me up the hill. (weirdly no issues riding outdoors with no fence! no doors or all doors seems to be the only way) whenever she doesn't agree she plants and rears. Poppet :p :p :p I love her to bits and we have a very good understanding but she *always* has the last word!!

palo1

Visit site
Just sliding into the back of the thread as we had a lesson this morning, really fantastic ride that just had me grinning from ear to ear throughout. Kira is so up for her work at the moment, we had a scoot through a fair bit of stuff, developing the passage again - she's definitely understood this now and even feels like she might be enjoying herself just a teeeeeeeeny bit ;) trainer following us around clapping at her - this is Classical Dressage we're doing here folks :p but it makes her try that little bit harder without making her feel overfaced by pressure.

Then a look at other stuff I've just been chipping away at, GP half passes all groovy - the angle is really comfortable for her now in a quality trot as the pi/pa work has cemented the activity. and some 1 tempis which I've had to deconstruct to teach myself to sit IN the saddle not get pinged up her neck. What a cool pony :cool:

241137940_4652760238068783_8953388279757048636_n.jpg

She has such a very lovely face!! Inspiring stuff too :) :)