Backing 3/4yr olds

j1ffy

Visit site
Big milestone reached as Nova spent his first night away from home yesterday (and his first ever time in a stable ?) and then today he went xc schooling. He was really just a little sweetheart the whole way along.
The video shows his progress with the simple fences from taking a quiet lead to doing them confidently on his own, he also popped up and down steps, the little ditch and through the water quite happily

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That looks and sounds like a fantastic first time away and first xc. Nova looks like a star in the making!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
we have officially commenced... something... :p first time bitted for Frankel today. Needs a bigger browband than the one I had for that giant brain (here's hoping ;) ) i was really hoping they would have moved house by now as I have a very suitable area for pony skool at the other field, but after £££ car dramas, and now haymaking is in full force, the chances of getting the lorry plated and the fencing finished any time soon are dwindling. so we either get bitted and walk in hand through the village to the other field, or get bitted and gently potter on where they are. Either way, Frank, meet Bridle :)

218621834_4516680548343420_5312194823605170526_n.jpg

daffy44

Visit site
TM, I may be falling in love with Nova! What a star, absolutely perfect start to his xc career, so bold and sensible, but I think you may well be right, his jump is so careful he may be a little too much sj to be a high level eventer, but I think hes fabulous, you must be bursting with pride!

TheMule

Visit site
TM, I may be falling in love with Nova! What a star, absolutely perfect start to his xc career, so bold and sensible, but I think you may well be right, his jump is so careful he may be a little too much sj to be a high level eventer, but I think hes fabulous, you must be bursting with pride!

Thank you so much- I do think I have struck gold with this one, he is just such a pleasure to have around and exactly what I ordered when I bred him ⭐

windand rain

Visit site
kitten learning.jpg
front has caught up with the back so back to long reining she was really good today no thought of arguing hope it lasts. She thinks she knows it all so wasn't listening but today we seemed to get cooperation without telling us she know better

TheMule

Visit site
Another training goal met- both 4yr olds have started hacking alone. Nova is a bit on a mission so aim is just to get him to take a breath and relax into it and the mule is a bit random in direction and pace but perfectly content to be on her own.

40F7B772-AD78-4ACD-9E01-DA1B771A9DFD.jpeg

alsxx

Visit site
Lovely to read all these updates, and everyone's 4 year old look like they are doing amazingly.

I've managed to overcome the travelling issues with my 3 year old with perseverance and a lot of driving round our field. He's now travelling really well. Got him out to his first show today which was rather eventful to say the least.

I said to my friend before we left home that it was a run purely for experience and if he was really badly behaved we won't do the class, just bring him home ? anyway, he was very hot and spent a lot of the time on his hind legs before finally getting a leg over the rope and buggering off. Once he was caught the dramatics continued, culminating in him slipping whilst rearing and coming down with a thump. He was a lot better after that and didn't rear again... I'm naively hoping that he scared himself and might have learned rearing isn't such a good idea after all!? We spent a lot of time walking around in the warm up ring and then came home, where he loaded and travelled home like a pro.

I am a bit unsure about him now if I'm honest, bought him as a weanling for me, but I don't want a rearer. He's only 14.3 at the moment, a TB x NF, bred for the show ring, and his half siblings have all been straightforward which is what I wanted in a smaller package. He's got a very sharp streak to him at times and the rearing today was proper full on vertical rears, twisting towards me. I think he's a lovely stamp of a small horse otherwise and is otherwise well mannered and easy to do at home. He reared a couple of times as a 2 year old coming in and out of the field and promptly got very told off and yanked down and didn't do it again. He does rear in the field though when playing, so it feels like it's his go to thing.

Anyway, the plan was to send him away to be professionally broken in the autumn, but I'm not doubting this is something he's grown out of and wondering if he's going to be the horse for me. Couple of pics from when he was behaving, excuse the gear, I didn't get changed in the end!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210801-171815_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210801-171815_Gallery.jpg
    854.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20210801-171805_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210801-171805_Gallery.jpg
    884.5 KB · Views: 31

milliepops

Visit site
we are continuing to potter in the general direction of Doing Learning. I discovered when we started lorry training that Frankel doesn't really know how to learn, he is inclined to zone out and then get surprised by things so you have to make sure he's paying attention when you change anything. He seems to be thoroughly chuffed with the attention though and I am sure that when he begins to increase in confidence with new things he will be just fine. From what I understand he has led a very sheltered life before I got him so he's like a giant foal, only one that has sort of lost the curiosity. Hera is so brave by comparison!

anyway, today he wore a saddlepad and accepted his bridle happily, he's been a bit chompy up to now but i think he's coming round to the idea.

227277753_4561199423891532_2944653374952489509_n.jpg

chaps89

Visit site
we are continuing to potter in the general direction of Doing Learning. I discovered when we started lorry training that Frankel doesn't really know how to learn, he is inclined to zone out and then get surprised by things so you have to make sure he's paying attention when you change anything. He seems to be thoroughly chuffed with the attention though and I am sure that when he begins to increase in confidence with new things he will be just fine. From what I understand he has led a very sheltered life before I got him so he's like a giant foal, only one that has sort of lost the curiosity. Hera is so brave by comparison!

anyway, today he wore a saddlepad and accepted his bridle happily, he's been a bit chompy up to now but i think he's coming round to the idea.

227277753_4561199423891532_2944653374952489509_n.jpg
He’s very lucky to have you to show him how to learn :)

milliepops

Visit site
He’s very lucky to have you to show him how to learn :)
aw thanks, it's been a while since I had a proper baby horse to do but i figure there's nowt new under the sun. it's nice seeing him figure stuff out and feel pleased with himself, he just needs a little more time at the moment to get to that point. I think it will be time well spent, i rode one away years ago that was very similar and he turned out to be a cracker once he was engaged with the whole thing.

TheMule

Visit site
Lovely to read all these updates, and everyone's 4 year old look like they are doing amazingly.

I've managed to overcome the travelling issues with my 3 year old with perseverance and a lot of driving round our field. He's now travelling really well. Got him out to his first show today which was rather eventful to say the least.

I said to my friend before we left home that it was a run purely for experience and if he was really badly behaved we won't do the class, just bring him home ? anyway, he was very hot and spent a lot of the time on his hind legs before finally getting a leg over the rope and buggering off. Once he was caught the dramatics continued, culminating in him slipping whilst rearing and coming down with a thump. He was a lot better after that and didn't rear again... I'm naively hoping that he scared himself and might have learned rearing isn't such a good idea after all!? We spent a lot of time walking around in the warm up ring and then came home, where he loaded and travelled home like a pro.

I am a bit unsure about him now if I'm honest, bought him as a weanling for me, but I don't want a rearer. He's only 14.3 at the moment, a TB x NF, bred for the show ring, and his half siblings have all been straightforward which is what I wanted in a smaller package. He's got a very sharp streak to him at times and the rearing today was proper full on vertical rears, twisting towards me. I think he's a lovely stamp of a small horse otherwise and is otherwise well mannered and easy to do at home. He reared a couple of times as a 2 year old coming in and out of the field and promptly got very told off and yanked down and didn't do it again. He does rear in the field though when playing, so it feels like it's his go to thing.

Anyway, the plan was to send him away to be professionally broken in the autumn, but I'm not doubting this is something he's grown out of and wondering if he's going to be the horse for me. Couple of pics from when he was behaving, excuse the gear, I didn't get changed in the end!

I wouldn’t be too disheartened- my experience is that a show is a very stressful first outing because there is a lot of randomness to cope with. I took a yearling once and she also spent a fair amount of time on her hind legs and I vowed not to do it again!
I would say stick with plan A and see what you've got once he's backed- he'll be easy enough to sell if he's not your type of horse under saddle

alsxx

Visit site
I wouldn’t be too disheartened- my experience is that a show is a very stressful first outing because there is a lot of randomness to cope with. I took a yearling once and she also spent a fair amount of time on her hind legs and I vowed not to do it again!
I would say stick with plan A and see what you've got once he's backed- he'll be easy enough to sell if he's not your type of horse under saddle

I'm hoping that said yearling didn't carry it on into adult hood!?

We definitely came away with some positives today - he had the experience which was the goal, he did actually walk round quite nicely eventually and loaded so well to come home. I think he stopped holding his breath once he was back in the box actually!

I'm hoping a pro can get him going and also be able to advise me on him too. I think he'll be really nice, and he's absolutely everything I wanted apart from standing on his hind legs ?

Marigold4

Visit site

I completely understand your doubts. Whenever I have taken a youngster out to their first inhand show, they have been very excited by the new strange experience. But each time they go out they get better and better. You say he behaves well at home and that's the main thing. My current youngster's "go to thing" in the field is leaping in the air and fly bucking, but he's never done this under saddle. Could you get a professional involved at this stage who could take him on when he rears and show you some tactics to deal with it? Maybe they could come with you to your next show? NF x TB is a lovely cross and there's not long to wait till autumn and sending him away. The professional backing him will tell you if he's going to be trouble. Don't be too disheartened. Inhand showing with a youngster is exhausting and stressful but a great thing to do in terms of education.

alsxx

Visit site
I completely understand your doubts. Whenever I have taken a youngster out to their first inhand show, they have been very excited by the new strange experience. But each time they go out they get better and better. You say he behaves well at home and that's the main thing. My current youngster's "go to thing" in the field is leaping in the air and fly bucking, but he's never done this under saddle. Could you get a professional involved at this stage who could take him on when he rears and show you some tactics to deal with it? Maybe they could come with you to your next show? NF x TB is a lovely cross and there's not long to wait till autumn and sending him away. The professional backing him will tell you if he's going to be trouble. Don't be too disheartened. Inhand showing with a youngster is exhausting and stressful but a great thing to do in terms of education.

Thanks Marigold, I agree it's a good educational step, I do need to take him out again somewhere but might try and get someone bigger and stronger than me to handle him! I'm feeling like I've had a weights workout in the gym today!! We did lots of showing when I was a younger and I remember the baby's being silly but not quite as dramatic as he chose to be.

Yes that's definitely the plan, get their expert opinion and also once he's going under saddle to have them assess me as much as him that we are going to work together. I definitely want it to work out, but honestly I have 2 small children now and need to think of them, rather than years ago when I happily got on difficult horses.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I'm hoping that said yearling didn't carry it on into adult hood!?

We definitely came away with some positives today - he had the experience which was the goal, he did actually walk round quite nicely eventually and loaded so well to come home. I think he stopped holding his breath once he was back in the box actually!

I'm hoping a pro can get him going and also be able to advise me on him too. I think he'll be really nice, and he's absolutely everything I wanted apart from standing on his hind legs ?
One of mine was a big rearer as a youngster to lead. She grew out of it and is really safe to ride :)

lannerch

Visit site
Layla had her first trip to an arena away from home yesterday, she started of a bit backward but soon gained in confidence, jumping everything including the water trays . I rushed over from work to take this footage .

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
front has caught up with the back

I can only dream! Joe arrived 2 inches bum high and every time his front end catches up a bit, away goes the back again! An experienced friend says she thinks he'll go to 16 hands, which seemed ridiculous when she said it but it's now looking really possible. I'd be so happy if he does!

He's had a saddle on (bridle obviously since he was pulling a trap 3 months ago) but I'm in no hurry to back such a downhill 3 year old.

Loving everyone's updates.

Northern

Visit site
Love reading everyones updates!

Bella has been spelling for the last six or so weeks. We’ve had a very wet winter and there’s mud everywhere and surfaces are barely useable. She’s right on 3.5 years today and looking well. Too well, I’ve been tending not to rug unless it’s below freezing out at night. Anticipating a very grassy spring ?

As it goes with youngsters, we’ve had a few set backs with her behaviour. She’s been quite aggressive at times, even knocked me over a few weeks ago. I’ve had to take care not to invite a confrontation with her, because she tends to fight back. So we’ve gone back to quiet and calm, little corrections. She’s lost her yard privileges and I’ve been bringing my friend the lunge whip and helmet with with me into the paddock. She’s been much better lately thankfully ?

I took her out for a quick lunge the other day and she’s remembered all her lessons which is great! I’ll get on her again as soon as the snowy wind and constant rain lessens. Excited to crack on with her. I’ve now got a bigger trailer so we’re set for adventures now!

Obligatory picture of the little snot ?

888AE535-C2F4-4387-908E-AFD7AD064033.jpeg

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Isaac had a month off pretty much after his trip to camp at Vale View. He's been back in work for two weeks now and had his first little jump back last night. He'd still quite like to utilise a bit too much speed at times, but he's getting a bit quicker and smarter with his footwork. We are booked into three different SJ/XC lessons with three different coaches this month, so I'm hoping to add lots of ideas to the toolbox as to how to continue to improve the jumping basics...

j1ffy

Visit site
Lovely to see Layla and Isaac pinging so beautifully! Sorry to hear your girl's had a naughty phase Northern. Chilli's never done anything like that but he's a big Labrador - teaching him about personal space is my constant challenge as he'd sit on your lap for a cuddle if he could!

Nothing very exciting happening here. He's learning to mooch along on hacks instead of trying to trot everywhere, which is good as I like to be able to walk out on a long rein (and ideally get some personal admin done when we're off road ?). He's still finding the school quite exciting so I'm going to up our sessions until he learns to settle, we've only been going in about every 10 days on average. His ability to bend left or right alternates each time we go in there, got to love young horses! But he tries hard and is desperate to work and get it right.

There are a couple of unaff dressage comps coming up at the yard, which will be a nice low-key introduction to competing for him. Then we're planning an overnight at my trainer's in October. Oh and his first 'away' hack this coming Sunday with his uncle Indio! Can't wait for them to see each other again.