Bad weather coming

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
My phone says it's going a bit chilly over the next week - more to normal January temperatures than anything awful. That's down here in the cheerful south(ish) of England though!

thats your phone though-the Met office is massively cautious in predicting this sort of weather. this chart is from Windy Wilson, a Scottish FB weatherman who is cautious also-he wouldn't be saying this unless he was sure and he's saying its not only winter weather but bad (i.e. 2010) winter weather. never known him to be wrong tbh and the models back him.

Visit site
thats your phone though-the Met office is massively cautious in predicting this sort of weather. this chart is from Windy Wilson, a Scottish FB weatherman who is cautious also-he wouldn't be saying this unless he was sure and he's saying its not only winter weather but bad (i.e. 2010) winter weather. never known him to be wrong tbh and the models back him.

I love Windy Wilson 😂😂😂 he doesn't suffer fools! Plus he is right 95% of the time!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

Yup, I agree.
Been spending time earlier at yard moving extra bedding into stables, digging out all the extra haynets, the travelling water containers are now in easy reach and yard tap extra covering sorted. Field tanks all topped up. Just need to pick up more yard salt.
I was hoping that by taking this action, it might swerve us, but I don't think it will.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
The gamekeeper told my sister a month ago we were in for an icy blast and he got the snow spot on last year. It was my first really bad spell of winter weather with horses and I learnt a lot. Just taken delivery of a pallet of shavings, water containers at the ready which can go in the yard kitchen overnight, logs and coal for the kitchen burner so the not so feral yard cats stay warm, plenty of grass pellets and chaff in the feed bins, big bale of haylage and also half one of hay in place, yard salt in the feed room.

I think I am ready.

SEL

Visit site
Militaire will be happy. He's grown a coat for the arctic and is getting hot and itchy.

Been ridiculously warm this January, but Feb is always miserable. Lots of memories of childhood birthday parties being cancelled because of snow (I obviously need therapy!)

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
My winter flowering clematis was nearly written off by the Beast from the East last winter, but has come back fighting and has literally hundreds of flowers on it, so I hope the weather doesn't get too cold. Don't mind if it's "normal" winter, but I'd rather not have a re-run of 2010 - over a week with no water was not fun, with 12 horses, 20+ cattle and a load of ewes lambing. We ended up axing out chunks of ice from far flung frozen water troughs and thawing them out in front of the wood burner. And driving miles to a friend's house to get a shower. Snow is very pretty to look at, but a right pita if you have to actually do anything.

Nudibranch

Visit site
While I love a bit of proper winter, I can't find anything on the Met other than a return to normal January temperatures and maybe a bit of sleet/snow/frost? I know the SSW event increases the chances of another Beast but I can't find anything concrete - they're still saying it's too early to predict with certainty?
Fingers crossed though. Pony sledging and a bit of weight loss for the fatty....

scotlass

Visit site
This riles me greatly. Windy Wilson, the tabloids, the lot of them .. Being prepared for winter in any form isn't a bad thing, but not one of them seem to have any appreciation of the fear the elderly and vulnerable may be feeling reading about something that may / may not happen. It reminds me of the episode of the Vicar of Dibley about the "great storm" where they all ended up debating which storm was the greatest - except a lot less funny. Windy Wilson bans people from his FB page commenting about imagining it being cold in Scotland in winter. Weather forecasters have proved time and time again that they often can't predict what they're having for dinner tomorrow evening, let alone what the weather might be doing in a month.

alibali

Visit site
This riles me greatly. Windy Wilson, the tabloids, the lot of them .. Being prepared for winter in any form isn't a bad thing, but not one of them seem to have any appreciation of the fear the elderly and vulnerable may be feeling reading about something that may / may not happen. It reminds me of the episode of the Vicar of Dibley about the "great storm" where they all ended up debating which storm was the greatest - except a lot less funny. Windy Wilson bans people from his FB page commenting about imagining it being cold in Scotland in winter. Weather forecasters have proved time and time again that they often can't predict what they're having for dinner tomorrow evening, let alone what the weather might be doing in a month.

Except Windy is normally the first to debunk the usual tabloid hysteria regarding upcoming weather events and I have yet to know him be wrong about any significant extreme event that has occurred, I've been following him for 3 years or so. Happily weather forecasting has improved beyond all recognition since Michael Fish's little gaff.... That said I'll be extremely pleased if Windy is wrong about this!

Myloubylou

Visit site
I follow midlands storm chasers on fb who say there is a few weather models and is unclear whether it will hit the uk. They are hedging their bets till Wednesday for sleety cold cold conditions next weekend (i.e winter) & possibly an arctic blast the week after.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
30/40 years ago, we and other farmers were paid a retainer by the local authority to go out and clear sections of road in the event of snow in winter. Last summer people were surprised when we had a spell of hot, dry weather. It's what seasons should be like. We're just not used to it or prepared for it any more.

It amazes me that with the squillions spent on weather forecasting, they are still so inaccurate.