Bad weather coming

Goldenstar

Visit site
My newly broken pony is back the week after next and I wanted to do some consistent easy work with her so yes, I can pretty much guarantee that some sort of hideous and prolonged weather is on its way!

Sounds likely , that’s how it usually works .

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
This riles me greatly. Windy Wilson, the tabloids, the lot of them .. Being prepared for winter in any form isn't a bad thing, but not one of them seem to have any appreciation of the fear the elderly and vulnerable may be feeling reading about something that may / may not happen. It reminds me of the episode of the Vicar of Dibley about the "great storm" where they all ended up debating which storm was the greatest - except a lot less funny. Windy Wilson bans people from his FB page commenting about imagining it being cold in Scotland in winter. Weather forecasters have proved time and time again that they often can't predict what they're having for dinner tomorrow evening, let alone what the weather might be doing in a month.

I've been following Windy for years, I've never known him be wrong about significant weather events be it wind or bad weather-he doesnt do long range forecasts generally. Long rangers (ie 5-10 day) are innaccurate because we live on a darn island (in the US for example, long rangers are more accurate due the land mass) heavily affected by the jet stream but this sort of event generally leads to more severe weather than the 2 inches of snow that we see regularly. No doubt, if/when it happens people will be bleating on about not knowing about it and be caught out again. I dont live far off the grid as it were but enough to make life difficult if we get cut off unprepared so I for one, appreciate the heads up-appreciated it last year and back in 2010 when the models picked it up 3 weeks before it happened.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
We had a frost one night last week, and the temperature dropped yesterday afternoon to something more reasonable wintry. But generally, this winter has been nastily warm.

Bring on the cold weather, bring on the snow!

Around the turn of the year, the radio had people in the French ski resorts crying and wailing about there not being enough snow. Even when temperatures were low, it was too dry. This weekend, there have been forecasts of enormous amounts of snow, with local officials in some parts worried that the unusual weight of snow could make some roofs collapse...

Annagain

Visit site
I was listening to John Kettley explaining the weather in Europe at the moment on the radio the other day. It's all down to the Jet Stream again. It's north of us but then dips south to the East of us over Europe and has dragged the cold air from the Arctic down with it, hence all the snow. This has left us with high pressure to the west of us hence the mild weather so far. That high pressure is set to move south west over France towards the end of this week, bringing respite to Europe but colder weather for us. But as the cold weather will be coming from the West rather than the East it's not likely to bring snow, just very cold weather and possibly some rain /sleet. It all sounded very plausible to me!

Silverglen

Visit site
I'll believe it when I see it. They've been saying for weeks that we will see snow and be hit by an icy blast. I mucked out in a t shirt on Saturday, and I live in scotland.

Hopefully it doesn't happen though, not like 2010 at least. But I have snow tyres so not worried about being able to get around or to the stables at least even if it takes me an hour I will get there.

Pc2003

Visit site
My met office app for where I live just says drop in temp, odd wintery shower here and there. I’m southern England.

Ouch05

Visit site
Please no snow. My boys was turned back out 24/7 on boxing day and has not been back in since. i am due a trip to Scotland next tuesday for three days with work and need him to be out over that period so make it easier for my OH who looks after them and the dogs while I am away, So NO snow please

Hallo2012

Visit site
i hope it doesnt come to anything, my ponies are moulting and my grass is growing.

however im ready, sigh, i have hay, feed, salt and rugs all ready and waiting :(

thankfully the stables are 10 steps from the house so water is always to hand.

Fiona

Visit site
Barra Best our local BBC weather reporter had a couple of 'snow' pics on his fb this morning.

And we had a frost this morning (only the second or third this winter, and I live in a frost pocket ;) )

I really hope we don't get snow, had more than enough of it last year :(

Fiona

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I went and bought more balancer today and we have homemade hay on site. So alls good.

Hoping it comes to nothing but when windy says something I pay attention as he’s rarely wrong and doesn’t scaremonger :)

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Well I've had snow and a frozen school today. But no frozen taps yet and it was just a dusting of snow here. Minus 2 forecast for tonight so filling up my water containers and wrapping the delicate flower MaxiCob up warm.

Visit site
I was ready to throttle one of the girls at work this morning! She came out on her horse hunched up and whining about how cold it was ... aye it was a wee bit nippy but - ITS BLOODY JANUARY AND WE ARE IN SCOTLAND!!!!!!! It turned into a glorious sunny day here! I would much rather a cold dry day than a windy, soaking wet one any day of the week! And if she can't cope with -1 then there really is no hope for her!

There is no such thing as bad weather only inappropriate clothing!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Long range forecasts always amuse me as they can't even predict tomorrow's weather accurately, and last week the weatherman said "tomorrow will be much the same as today, wet in the morning ..." - I'd spent 4 hours walking boundaries in the brilliant sunshine, complete with clipboard which normally gets very soggy, so I suspect he hadn't actually been outdoors all day ...

Silverglen

Visit site
I was ready to throttle one of the girls at work this morning! She came out on her horse hunched up and whining about how cold it was ... aye it was a wee bit nippy but - ITS BLOODY JANUARY AND WE ARE IN SCOTLAND!!!!!!! It turned into a glorious sunny day here! I would much rather a cold dry day than a windy, soaking wet one any day of the week! And if she can't cope with -1 then there really is no hope for her!

There is no such thing as bad weather only inappropriate clothing!

Wow if that annoyed her she won't last the winter. - 1 isnt that bad, it will get worse up here.

HeyMich

Visit site
I was away on site today up in Angus and there was a fair bit of snow on the ground and a biting, biting wind. My fingers froze within a second of taking my gloves off! But the sun was shining so I enjoyed every minute of the day. Love my job some days!!

MagicMelon

Visit site
The weather may well miss England but as usual we've got some snow up here (NE Scotland). I live above the snow line so any wiff of snow mentioned on the forecast and we get it ;) Blizzard here on the way home a while ago, couldnt see a thing driving. My mother crashed her car last night, sliding on the snow straight through a barbed wire fence. We need lots of snow after a so-far very mild winter, we need the water table topped up after the ridiculously dry summer which meant many of us ran out of water with wells drying out :(

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Walking home from the station last night, all the cars had great big gobbets of condensation in them. The air was noticeably colder than it had been in the morning and the previous evening.

This morning, I was to take OH's car, park it as near to the station as possible, but staying in the free of charge zone, so that I have it available for getting to my daughter's school. Today is parent-teacher conference day, and as usual it starts at 13h30, and by 18h00 more than half the teachers will have buggered off because they can't manage to sort out child care for their own offspring. or they just don't want to hang around any longer.

So I knew I would need to scrape the car's windscreen, side and read windows, and I was doing that when a bloke drove past. Typical of where I live, he'd not scraped the windscreen, he had his wipers going and was squirting the washer fluid to clear the frost. It was working, but slowly...

Last year, I saw a few people whose brightest idea was to have the demister on full blast. But while the windscreen was still frosted up, they were driving with the window down, and head stuck out of it...

Visit site
Walking home from the station last night, all the cars had great big gobbets of condensation in them. The air was noticeably colder than it had been in the morning and the previous evening.

This morning, I was to take OH's car, park it as near to the station as possible, but staying in the free of charge zone, so that I have it available for getting to my daughter's school. Today is parent-teacher conference day, and as usual it starts at 13h30, and by 18h00 more than half the teachers will have buggered off because they can't manage to sort out child care for their own offspring. or they just don't want to hang around any longer.

So I knew I would need to scrape the car's windscreen, side and read windows, and I was doing that when a bloke drove past. Typical of where I live, he'd not scraped the windscreen, he had his wipers going and was squirting the washer fluid to clear the frost. It was working, but slowly...

Last year, I saw a few people whose brightest idea was to have the demister on full blast. But while the windscreen was still frosted up, they were driving with the window down, and head stuck out of it...

The stupidity of man never ceases to amaze!

It's another lovely day here! Aye it's a bit nippy but lovely sunshine again!

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
According to Windy Wison it hits Monday.

😂😂😂. It started snowing here a little after 9am and hasn’t stopped. The road is completely covered and snow is forecast almost all day and intermittently until the end of the month.
We have lived here on the Welsh Borders for over 25 years and now know ALWAYS to err on the side of caution when bad weather is mentioned.