Badminton 2023 thread

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Such a deserved win for Ros.

I made the mistake of thinking that she might be a one horse wonder when she emerged with the fabulous Allstar B. I'm delighted to be shown to be completely wrong on that, she's truly world class.

Did BadmintonTV go on to show the prize giving etc after BBC2 stopped broadcasting?

marmalade76

Visit site
I do think Ollie should have pulled up but I thought some others should have as well but no one mentions them , it seems that everyone picks on just one person

Maybe because things like this keep on happening with OT, like in 2018 when he beat his hero horse round? And another time at Badminton a few years ago when his horse flipped in the quarry and he walked away without even looking at the horse, just left it there for the steward to take?

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I'm not a fan of EK but thought she showed she'd learnt from past mistakes by pulling up when he still looked like he was going ok - he looked less tired than SS.

I think people's issue with OT is he keeps cropping up with recurring issues - if it was his first badminton and a couple of fences from home, maybe people would have less anger towards him - he's been there enough to know when to pull up. He comes across as way too "win at all costs".

SilverLinings

Visit site
He has put a long apology on his Facebook page
That's great, and implies that he is paying attention to the public concern (and the fact he was eliminated), but didn't he issue an apology last time too? He needs to learn from the feedback following his pushing of tired horses, rather than just issuing an apology AFTER he's done it (again). Hopefully this time he has learnt, and he will listen to the horse better next time, and prioritise horse welfare over winning. I realise that you have to be competitive to be a successful eventer, but that should never be at the expense of the welfare of the horses, especially when it has already been pointed out to you that you made the same error of judgement at a previous competition.

ETA, cross-posted with those above, clearly he hasn't thought an apology/explanation necessary this time!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
My friend sent me the transcript as I’m not on Facebook, she said it was from today, he said he had watched the video of his round and went on a bit more

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Just looked at the info she sent me and she must have got confused as it’s not mentioning his horse from today, sorry people I just skimmed it and didn’t realise .. as you have said he should have learned from that and not done the same again

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Just looked at his page and his last post is from April. I think he half indicated he'd been getting some flack in his interview after BC SJ, as he said something about his "mate" being there for him when he's going through a challenging time or something similar can't remember his exact words

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
That’s exactly the issue. We keep forgiving him and hoping he’s changed/learned his lesson, but he never does. And never will, I think. But how silly. He’s come second, how can we applaud his horsemanship when he’s been eliminated for bad riding on his other ride.

I’m just watching the hi lights. Not enjoying Gemma Steven’s round much. She doesn’t seem balanced or with the mare.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
On the Horse and Hound website

WSF Carthago, the five-star ride of Fiona Kashel, has been put down after sustaining an injury at Badminton Horse Trials

Words fail me. How many more?
To be fair, this was an odd one. Carthago didn't fall, he jumped into the ditch in front of a fence, stayed on his feet but catapulted Fiona into the next county.

The horse immediately received vet care on site, was bandaged and taken on the trailer to the on site vet centre where he was then transferred to a horsepital for surgery. It was only during surgery they realised the injury simply wasn't going to repair.

The TV coverage didn't show that side of the fence. Commentary said there was a ditch in front of the brush fence jump. I don't think he was the only horse to jump into the ditch so yes, I think there are lessons to be learned in how horses read and can misread fences. I think it needs a proper investigation.

TheMule

Visit site

WSF Carthago, the five-star ride of Fiona Kashel, has been put down after sustaining an injury at Badminton Horse Trials

It's incredibly sad and very unlucky as just a simple mistake has led to an irreparable injury, but there hasn’t been a horse death for several years at Badminton (and not many in total, to be fair), so I'm not sure what your comment means?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
To be fair, this was an odd one. Carthago didn't fall, he jumped into the ditch in front of a fence, stayed on his feet but catapulted Fiona into the next county.

The horse immediately received vet care on site, was bandaged and taken on the trailer to the on site vet centre where he was then transferred to a horsepital for surgery. It was only during surgery they realised the injury simply wasn't going to repair.

The TV coverage didn't show that side of the fence. Commentary said there was a ditch in front of the brush fence jump. I don't think he was the only horse to jump into the ditch so yes, I think there are lessons to be learned in how horses read and can misread fences. I think it needs a proper investigation.

I was quite surprised as he seemed to be shaky but was walking to start with.. and the commentators seemed happy that both of them were ok.. such a shame that he wasn’t..

teapot

Visit site

It was this fence:

9E37E754-7F38-4153-871C-253F2EBB848C.jpeg