Badminton 2023 thread

GreyDot

Visit site
Well, managed to watch 2 rounds there! Thanks for the link, managed to log in through that, but it's still not appearing on the main page. Hope it appears for this afternoon's session.

TheMule

Visit site
In Oli's interview after he said he was initially held on course and during the hold, Swallow Springs was checked over by a vet who checked recovery rate and had no concerns.

I think it was likely to be a conversation between whoever was there and OT and it was decided the horse was done, even with a breather.

As for the coding as E rather than R, only those who were in that conversation know why that was, it could have been a technical reason, it could have been used as an opportunity to show the sport being responsible, we don't know and shouldn't speculate.

ETA: I could fully believe it was a simple mistake with OT jumping off during the hold, to give the horse a break and that being coded as E.

That's not how it works- you're fully entitled to get off your horse during a hold
He was eliminated, they don’t get the codes wrong at FEI. I expect we will have to wait to see the list of FEI yellow cards and warnings next month says to know the truth

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I'm rewatching again this morning and I have to say Dan Jocelyn riding immediately after Ollie rode just as bad a tired horse, also banked the table and fell through the water rails and had that and yet not pulled up or mentioned 🤷‍♀️
I didn't see Swallows Spring's round but I thought William Levett's round looked very sketchy with a lot of sticky fences. I was pleased his horse finally said no, as he did not look comfortable and confident at all. But I have not seen any criticism of him anywhere either.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I didn't see Swallows Spring's round but I thought William Levett's round looked very sketchy with a lot of sticky fences. I was pleased his horse finally said no, as he did not look comfortable and confident at all. But I have not seen any criticism of him anywhere either.
Bill was criticised by plenty of us on here as the thread was running. We were all relieved that his horse finally downed tools.

It was certainly not just Oli who got picked on. I'm not a habitual Oli basher, I thought that he'd grown up and matured a lot since his early days in the sport. It was so disappointing to see his ride on Swallow Springs.

Such sad news about Fiona's horse :(.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site

Bill was criticised by plenty of us on here as the thread was running. We were all relieved that his horse finally downed tools.

It was certainly not just Oli who got picked on. I'm not a habitual Oli basher, I thought that he'd grown up and matured a lot since his early days in the sport. It was so disappointing to see his ride on Swallow Springs.

Such sad news about Fiona's horse :(.
I didn;t mean in here. Oli has had an absolute roasting on socal media. I follow a number of equestrian pages, and have seen endless posts about him. I've not seen any about anyone else. I am not looking for stuff, so I could have missed some critical commentary, but clearly the vast majoroty of the vitriol is going to Oli.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Yes, he certainly doesn't seem to be popular. I wonder if it is that he has ginger hair?

I know a local business man who is naturally ginger. He dyes his hair brown and said that he gets on much, much better now with brown hair. Odd isn't it?

fetlock

Visit site
Yes, he certainly doesn't seem to be popular. I wonder if it is that he has ginger hair?

I know a local business man who is naturally ginger. He dyes his hair brown and said that he gets on much, much better now with brown hair. Odd isn't it?
o_O

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Horse and Hound (the mag, not the forum) are reporting that Oli was indeed pulled up and eliminated by the Ground Jury on course on Swallow Springs.

The pair were then pulled up by ground jury before fence 25, the Voltaire Design Huntsman’s Close, meaning the combination are eliminated.

Patterdale

Visit site
Just searched the current eventing yellow card/warning list, which goes back to 2006. Between 2008 and 2023, one rider appears ten times... Might explain why people are vocal.

Exactly this. This is why he gets more stick than anyone else, because he has more form than anyone else.