Badminton 2023 thread

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Yes by the end of the day the mud wasn't too bad. I don't think I'd go again though. Too many people at the fences, too many people holding phones up, too many buggies and dogs on leads (nothing against dogs we took ours but there were so many on extendable leads). Admittedly I was feeling a bit vulnerable with my arm in a sling!
I agree, it's just not as fun as it used to be with so many people 😕

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
I was really hoping for him it would be all good, especially as he was on his feet and walking and didn’t actually fall into the fence. Condolences to Fiona and her team, not surprised she withdrew her second horse.

I think in total there’s been a few, but some have been freak accidents.
The French horse who got caught on a flag a few years ago, Shanghai Joe who ran loose back to the stables, slipped and fell into Badminton House itself and broke his shoulder are two I can think of.

Horsetalk NZ have actually compiled a list of horses and riders who have died eventing. It’s not nice to read, but also a reminder of how dangerous eventing can be to horse and rider.

Maybe I"m not remembering well, but I thought some of those horses listed in that article died of natural causes rather than because they were eventing. I stand to be corrected though.

lannerch

Visit site
My daughter events at a low level and we quite often see top riders on their young horses at events. That will do tbh. No queues for the loos or ice cream van either!
In contrast to reports of OT at events , I got in the way ( accidentally) of Tom Mcewan at Oxstalls a few weeks ago in the sj warmup , whilst I was helping my rider, he was lovely and just laughed , it was no problem, a perfect gentleman.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
In contrast to reports of OT at events , I got in the way ( accidentally) of Tom Mcewan at Oxstalls a few weeks ago in the sj warmup , whilst I was helping my rider, he was lovely and just laughed , it was no problem, a perfect gentleman.

I have met OT at local events. He was warming up the same time as my daughter at the BE100 at Kelsall. He has always been friendly. We were too shy, but other kids competing talked to him and had their picture taken and he was very willing to be snapped and have a chat.

I also pole/poo picked at Somerford when he was competing. He smiled and said thanks to volunteers.

paisley

Visit site
I was really hoping for him it would be all good, especially as he was on his feet and walking and didn’t actually fall into the fence. Condolences to Fiona and her team, not surprised she withdrew her second horse.

I think in total there’s been a few, but some have been freak accidents.
The French horse who got caught on a flag a few years ago, Shanghai Joe who ran loose back to the stables, slipped and fell into Badminton House itself and broke his shoulder are two I can think of.

Horsetalk NZ have actually compiled a list of horses and riders who have died eventing. It’s not nice to read, but also a reminder of how dangerous eventing can be to horse and rider.

God, I’d forgotten the truly awful year of ‘99, lost good friends there 🙁

Chippers1

Visit site
No, we've never taken our dogs in a trade stand either! It's part of the reason we don't generally take our dogs to big events - well, to be fair, we tend to go to Badminton on dressage day now and they can't go in the grandstand - as I do enjoy browsing the trade stands (OK, shopping is more accurate ...!) and not having a dog makes everything so much easier.

I'll happily take them to small events but not big, busier shows where shopping can be part of the experience.
I was working Friday and Saturday on the Mars stand (the Pedigree section) and the dogs coming in were the highlight of my days :) I loved meeting them all! But with the weather on Saturday I did see a lot of miserable dogs who didn't want to leave the dry stand...or maybe it was the treats...so I appreciate that not everyone would want to take their dogs.

This is what the stand looked like at closing yesterday...
Mars stand 2.jpg

Mars stand.jpg

That carpet was blue!!

rextherobber

Visit site
Just to add to the OT debate I saw him being interviewed last year where he basically said he knew he had a reputation for being a bit of a selfish whatsit but he realised that meant he didn't come across as a team player....and you don't get selected for teams (ie Olympics next year) if you are selfish. So call me cynical but I think he's just on damage control to improve his reputation ahead of the Olympics next year....he said he needed to improve his team image...

Saying that though he obviously has no problem charming owners! Considering the fleet of horses he has! 🤣
Watching the interview with Ros, Austin and Oliver - interesting body language, Ros was as far way from Oliver as she could possibly get...

equinerebel

Visit site
I haven't been able to watch all of the xc yet so I can't comment on other horses struggling etc, but I did see OT's first round and I thought it was terrible from a rider with his CV. It's also not the first time.

Northern Hare

Visit site
I was working Friday and Saturday on the Mars stand (the Pedigree section) and the dogs coming in were the highlight of my days :) I loved meeting them all! But with the weather on Saturday I did see a lot of miserable dogs who didn't want to leave the dry stand...or maybe it was the treats...so I appreciate that not everyone would want to take their dogs.

This is what the stand looked like at closing yesterday...
View attachment 113158

View attachment 113159

That carpet was blue!!
Blimey, I suspect that carpet will be going in the skip! Well done for cheering all the dogs up with the treats! 🐕

Love

Visit site
What a fab few days! Cringed in places but definitely believe the best woman won - she looked fantastic going round the XC! Not seen any SJ yet as was out yesterday but going to catch up tonight.

Very sad to hear about Fiona Kashel's horse 😢 I had hoped it was nothing serious when the horse ambulance was sent out on course. Thoughts to all

Squeak

Visit site
I’m wondering if it hasn’t been mentioned at all in any interviews or social media pages because they are trying to decide how to keep his image as in tact as much as possible BECAUSE of the upcoming Olympics.

As for owners, some don’t care at all, they just like the glory. When I was doing my BHSAI I did work experience at a top eventer’s yard and went to a few events, met the owners of his current up and coming advanced horse several times. They loved going to events, spoiled the horse rotten, loved the parties etc. A few months later, when I got back to college, the rider’s head groom turned up with a horse that belonged to the same people. It was a retired badminton horse. They’d taken it hone when it had retired, threw it out with their cows, and ignored it. The head groom from the event yard persuaded them to loan it to our college. When it arrived it was so skinny it was actually in a sling for a few days. The same owners that gushed over their winning horse couldn’t give a stuff about their old horse when it stopped winning.

I might well be very very wrong but to me that one sounds like it could be more ignorance than not caring? If they'd completely not cared you'd have expected them to just give it away/ get rid of it rather than take it home. Possibly they weren't aware of the extra care that the horse would need compared to cows/ hardier types of horse? It does absolutely sound like they should have realised sooner that it wasn't in good condition though.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Really enjoyed going to Badminton for SJ day yesterday - I think I will make this my new routine, as I was able to watch all of the XC live at home on the telly so as not to miss any of the action, and also avoid the crowds. Drove up to Gloucestershire as soon as the XC was finished, stayed overnight and then got there early for the tension of the trot up. Enjoyed a walk around the course (and right up to the fences) before watching the first SJ session, did a bit of shopping in between and then settled in for the thrill of the top 20. Was sat very near the entrance gate for horses, so really enjoyed seeing rider's reactions as they finished their rounds and left the ring. Bit slow getting out in the cars afterwards because of mud, but our electric car didn't get stuck, so that was a bonus!

Very sad about Fiona Kashel's horse - just didn't look like the type of incident that should have had that outcome.

I sincerely hope we won't see SS back out at 5* as I believe the horse has made it very clear his heart is not in it. I'm not even completely sure that it was a fitness issue that we saw at the lake - I don't think the horse wants to get up in the air and do the job, for whatever reason. His sprawling jump at Badminton last year was early in the course - this is not an isolated incident. Think the horse looked a lot better under AN, but quite a few year's have passed now and I don't think he's the same horse as he was.

Other than that, I think we mainly saw great horsemanship. I wish there were still a few more proper TB type galloping machines around (if only Classic Moet could have stayed young forever), but Colorado Blue's round was a masterpiece. Ros and Walter were the clear winners in every single way though - her production of that horse is absolutely meticulous, he sparkled in every phase, her riding was always quiet and accurate and measured, and he looks every bit like the best event horse in the world right now. I've had the pleasure of meeting Ros a few times and she is just the most down to earth, normal and hard-working person you could wish to meet. So, so deserved.

Also wanted to flag the exceptional performance of Tom Jackson and Capels Hollow Drift. This horse is only a 12yo and is quietly building a very impressive 5* record. Was the first horse to jump a clear SJ round in the time, and only Tom McEwen on Toledo could match him. If he carries on this pathway I'm going to make the wildly bold call of saying that we could see him at Paris. I think we're seeing a bit of a changing of the guard in terms of the quality of training and riding the the 'younger' professionals are doing - I'm including Ros in this - but Tom McE, Tom J, Ros, Yasmin all ride so immaculately quietly and well balanced - more in the manner of the NZ geniuses (Prices, MT etc.) than the more hunting-field style of some of the UK's older guard.

teapot

Visit site
Really enjoyed going to Badminton for SJ day yesterday - I think I will make this my new routine, as I was able to watch all of the XC live at home on the telly so as not to miss any of the action, and also avoid the crowds. Drove up to Gloucestershire as soon as the XC was finished, stayed overnight and then got there early for the tension of the trot up. Enjoyed a walk around the course (and right up to the fences) before watching the first SJ session, did a bit of shopping in between and then settled in for the thrill of the top 20. Was sat very near the entrance gate for horses, so really enjoyed seeing rider's reactions as they finished their rounds and left the ring. Bit slow getting out in the cars afterwards because of mud, but our electric car didn't get stuck, so that was a bonus!

Very sad about Fiona Kashel's horse - just didn't look like the type of incident that should have had that outcome.

I sincerely hope we won't see SS back out at 5* as I believe the horse has made it very clear his heart is not in it. I'm not even completely sure that it was a fitness issue that we saw at the lake - I don't think the horse wants to get up in the air and do the job, for whatever reason. His sprawling jump at Badminton last year was early in the course - this is not an isolated incident. Think the horse looked a lot better under AN, but quite a few year's have passed now and I don't think he's the same horse as he was.

Other than that, I think we mainly saw great horsemanship. I wish there were still a few more proper TB type galloping machines around (if only Classic Moet could have stayed young forever), but Colorado Blue's round was a masterpiece. Ros and Walter were the clear winners in every single way though - her production of that horse is absolutely meticulous, he sparkled in every phase, her riding was always quiet and accurate and measured, and he looks every bit like the best event horse in the world right now. I've had the pleasure of meeting Ros a few times and she is just the most down to earth, normal and hard-working person you could wish to meet. So, so deserved.

Also wanted to flag the exceptional performance of Tom Jackson and Capels Hollow Drift. This horse is only a 12yo and is quietly building a very impressive 5* record. Was the first horse to jump a clear SJ round in the time, and only Tom McEwen on Toledo could match him. If he carries on this pathway I'm going to make the wildly bold call of saying that we could see him at Paris. I think we're seeing a bit of a changing of the guard in terms of the quality of training and riding the the 'younger' professionals are doing - I'm including Ros in this - but Tom McE, Tom J, Ros, Yasmin all ride so immaculately quietly and well balanced - more in the manner of the NZ geniuses (Prices, MT etc.) than the more hunting-field style of some of the UK's older guard.

I might go a bit bolder and say I could see Tom J being an individual at the Euros this year 🤞🏻

Could absolutely see the Paris team being Tom x 2, Ros, and Yasmin (three team, one reserve) at the moment, especially so with two round of show jumping!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I might go a bit bolder and say I could see Tom J being an individual at the Euros this year 🤞🏻

Oh, I think he's guaranteed to be going to the Euros so long as horse comes out of this sound and good, I think my wild claim for a team of 3 at Paris is bolder. But any rate, I think any championship place he gets is very much justified!

Clodagh

Visit site
I don’t follow eventing day to day but with social license being a thing it is certainly more pleasing to watch a horse throughly enjoying itself and understanding what the rider is (invisibly) transmitting.

Clodagh

Visit site
On that note I felt Bubby Upton’s horse deserved medal of the day for getting her out of the occasional wild kick on at all costs moment. He was fantastic.
And Billy Walk On is such a gorgeous horse, with plenty of opinions.
I used to live near Writtle so pleased so see Lordships getting that result, I didn’t know they had stopped breeding.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com

Could absolutely see the Paris team being Tom x 2, Ros, and Yasmin (three team, one reserve) at the moment, especially so with two round of show jumping!

Agreed on the Paris team, those would be my choices - probably with Tom on Dubs. I really hope that Banzai's 20p at Kentucky was a total fluke, as he's one of my absolute favourites to watch.

oldie48

Visit site
Out of interest I sat and watched what was shown of OT's round on replay as what I thought I'd seen live didn't seem to fit with what is being said on this thread. He certainly wasn't pushing SS in the first section of the course, comment was made that he looked like he was out for a hack and he'd need to speed up as he was already well behind the clock (don't forget he was third out and there hadn't been a horse through by the time he started). He was clearly doing what all of the experienced riders said they would do ie try to keep plenty of energy in the tank for the middle part of the course that was sticky going and aim to get home. If you go back and look he's riding beautifully and the horse is in a good rhythm and making jumps looks easy. He popped down the Savill staircase so much better than many combinations and he made the owl hole look easy peasy. In the first water he did swing a bit too wide and put in an extra stride but nothing dramatic. It was at fence 19 that he had an issue, the horse met the first element not quite right and OT really needed to push to get over the second, horses back feet set off the frangibles but SS looked to come out of it OK but probably a bit shocked and not doubt had an extra shot of adrenaline to add to that already coursing through his body. (I'm no expert on all of this so do feel free to challenge!). We then see him jump the water, taking the long route and horse looks to be struggling. We don't see OT again, word comes through that he's not appeared at Huntsmans close and that he might have been stopped. I think he was held for some time after jumping fence 21 (don't know where) whilst they took Cathago back to the stables following his injury at f26 and surely that might have caused an "adrenaline dump"? I haven't seen any video of what happened after f21 so I can't comment on what happened but I think to suggest that OT was riding badly, the horse didn't look right or was being overly pushed up to the incident at fence 19 seems grossly unfair to me.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I might well be very very wrong but to me that one sounds like it could be more ignorance than not caring? If they'd completely not cared you'd have expected them to just give it away/ get rid of it rather than take it home. Possibly they weren't aware of the extra care that the horse would need compared to cows/ hardier types of horse? It does absolutely sound like they should have realised sooner that it wasn't in good condition though.

It’s so long ago I couldn’t say. But he really was a hat rack that could barely stand when he arrived (he had done a 2hour journey to get to us though, which won’t have helped). They weren’t total novices, they ran a long standing BE fixture at their farm. In those days I remember studying care of the Hunter and it was BHS practice that a horse was roughed off in literally days. Rugs off, Stockholm tar on the legs and turned out. So perhaps they were of that hunting generation and did the same with the event horse. Anyway, he pulled through and he was an amazing horse for me to learn on!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I know Roz is likely to be on every team there is for the next decade if this horse keeps going like this, but I’d quite like her to win Burghley on him in autumn and Kentucky next spring! Be the first grand slammer to do it on one horse!

Hard to imagine it happening on one horse given that he's surely a cert for the Euros - but Pencos Crown Jewel with lots of luck on her side could put in a solid performance, with the creme de le creme not there because of Euros. Or Izilot DHI has all the talent to win it (and lead the dressage), but would be a 5* debut and think he's quite a bit trickier than the two she had a Badminton. Would still love to see her go for it though!

Katieg123

Visit site
Out of interest I sat and watched what was shown of OT's round on replay as what I thought I'd seen live didn't seem to fit with what is being said on this thread. He certainly wasn't pushing SS in the first section of the course, comment was made that he looked like he was out for a hack and he'd need to speed up as he was already well behind the clock (don't forget he was third out and there hadn't been a horse through by the time he started). He was clearly doing what all of the experienced riders said they would do ie try to keep plenty of energy in the tank for the middle part of the course that was sticky going and aim to get home. If you go back and look he's riding beautifully and the horse is in a good rhythm and making jumps looks easy. He popped down the Savill staircase so much better than many combinations and he made the owl hole look easy peasy. In the first water he did swing a bit too wide and put in an extra stride but nothing dramatic. It was at fence 19 that he had an issue, the horse met the first element not quite right and OT really needed to push to get over the second, horses back feet set off the frangibles but SS looked to come out of it OK but probably a bit shocked and not doubt had an extra shot of adrenaline to add to that already coursing through his body. (I'm no expert on all of this so do feel free to challenge!). We then see him jump the water, taking the long route and horse looks to be struggling. We don't see OT again, word comes through that he's not appeared at Huntsmans close and that he might have been stopped. I think he was held for some time after jumping fence 21 (don't know where) whilst they took Cathago back to the stables following his injury at f26 and surely that might have caused an "adrenaline dump"? I haven't seen any video of what happened after f21 so I can't comment on what happened but I think to suggest that OT was riding badly, the horse didn't look right or was being overly pushed up to the incident at fence 19 seems grossly unfair to me.
I wonder if they cut out a certain amount of footage because on the playback (I wasn't able to see it live) they didn't show Cathagos fall, walking after or the horse ambulance or anything! Maybe There was a few shots of OT that were cut out too? I agree that what I saw was not as dramatic as I've been reading here.

asmp

Visit site
I’ve always been impressed in general at how friendly top level eventers are!! With one exception who I won’t name but is a total utter ar£E. Not OT though.
There’s one I won’t mention either who has annoyed me over the years - cycling on the course, not picking up his dog poo, not walking but trotting off the course, etc.

Kat

Visit site
I wonder if they cut out a certain amount of footage because on the playback (I wasn't able to see it live) they didn't show Cathagos fall, walking after or the horse ambulance or anything! Maybe There was a few shots of OT that were cut out too? I agree that what I saw was not as dramatic as I've been reading here.
They did show Cathago 's fall and him getting up on the replay on Badminton TV. I saw it that way.

I wondered whether some of Oli's round was cut but the commentators seemed confused too so I suspect that there wasn't footage after the lake.

HS6

Visit site
Now that the dust has settled after the competition itself, I have been musing about whether the drastic reduction in TB blood in top event horses potentially goes hand in hand with so many horses finding the tough track on wet ground a bridge too far.

Colorado Blue, who produced such a fabulous XC round and one of the rare horses that looked to be enjoying himself all of the way round, had one of the highest blood percentages in the field at 84%. I think that blood really shone through.

Obviously preparation and fitness all have a big part to play in how horses found XC, but I can't help but miss the days of seeing blood horses eat up the badminton turf and thrive on the challenge. As lovely as it is to see the beautiful dressage tests these WB types produce, it looks like a lot of them are surviving when out XC rather than thriving, especially when the ground is less than ideal.

This is not a criticism of breeders, as one myself I know that the market wants WBs as riders buying to produce and sell on understandly want something with a bit of flash rather than a blood type that may not dazzle at the lower levels or lead the dressage but has the potential to jump a 5* XC.

oldie48

Visit site

They certainly cut out the incident with Cathago, there was a very long hold on course, I think he would have been held at or about f23 which was a bit of a let up fence and I don't remember seeing any horse jump it. Once started there is then the long climb up to the Beaufort Box, it would be very clear at that point if SS was too tired to continue, but really it's just speculation, restarting any horse at that point in the course would not be ideal IMO but that's just the way the chips fall.

sportsmansB

Visit site
Now that the dust has settled after the competition itself, I have been musing about whether the drastic reduction in TB blood in top event horses potentially goes hand in hand with so many horses finding the tough track on wet ground a bridge too far.

Colorado Blue, who produced such a fabulous XC round and one of the rare horses that looked to be enjoying himself all of the way round, had one of the highest blood percentages in the field at 84%. I think that blood really shone through.

Obviously preparation and fitness all have a big part to play in how horses found XC, but I can't help but miss the days of seeing blood horses eat up the badminton turf and thrive on the challenge. As lovely as it is to see the beautiful dressage tests these WB types produce, it looks like a lot of them are surviving when out XC rather than thriving, especially when the ground is less than ideal.

This is not a criticism of breeders, as one myself I know that the market wants WBs as riders buying to produce and sell on understandly want something with a bit of flash rather than a blood type that may not dazzle at the lower levels or lead the dressage but has the potential to jump a 5* XC.

I know Jonelle mentioned it, surprised Gemma T didn't - this would have been the year for Molly and Spike to battle it out for sure!!

Reactions: Kat