Badminton XC Thread :)

Mooseontheloose

Visit site
Going back to yesterday's thread about cross country,, surely what Michael Jung, Mark Todd, Oli Townend and some others prove is that it's not a matter of either dressage or cross country, that it is a true test of complete training of the horse. Far from thinking MJ is a robot, I loved the way he let his horse run and jump - and he could do that because the balance and training are unbelievably good, not because the horse is drilled into the floor.
Horses that are over schooled on the flat at that level will not stay sound - but the training is done correctly from the beginning so they have core strength and are properly developed.
The riders you see out during the winter show jumping at a good level are few and far between. Gemma Tattersall does her homework, it shows.
As do the other top riders. Of course Armada may kick some out today, but that's not through lack of training as can be seen from his dressage marks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a clear round. I thought OT did just the right thing pulling up Black Tie, I wish one or two others had his horsemanship. There were one or two unpleasant sights that should not have happened yesterday.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I'm sure it's mentioned every year but why oh why do people insist on taking barking screaming whining dogs to this event. I would have them removed. Must be hideous if you are at the same fence as them for any length of time.

Watched some of the coverage yesterday but am enjoying catching up properly watching on I player.

Lexi_

Visit site
I'm sure it's mentioned every year but why oh why do people insist on taking barking screaming whining dogs to this event. I would have them removed. Must be hideous if you are at the same fence as them for any length of time.

Watched some of the coverage yesterday but am enjoying catching up properly watching on I player.

Ooh thank you so much for this tipoff!! I was at a wedding yesterday and missed all the cross-country. Didn't think I'd get a chance to see the full cross country, just the BBC highlights today.

To iplayer I go! :D

MochaDun

Visit site
Just heard on live feed that Jeanette has some broken ribs and a bruised face, spent night in hospital but OK.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Ooh thank you so much for this tipoff!! I was at a wedding yesterday and missed all the cross-country. Didn't think I'd get a chance to see the full cross country, just the BBC highlights today.

To iplayer I go! :D

Someone else helpfully posted the links to three sections in another thread in TR :)

Pigeon

Visit site
Maybe sudden change in temperature has had an effect also - it's been quite cold up until recently, so the very warm weather must make things a bit more tricky.

Yeah I was there and between about 2 and 3 it was SWELTERING - really really hot and close. Quite a lot of people withdrew/retired at that point, perhaps that was why...

RunToEarth

Visit site

Quite asides from your point that it's flipping annoying and dangerous if (like previous years) they get on course, I just can't understand why people take their dogs anyway. It's a hot weekend - low to mid twenties, why on earth would you drag your dogs out in that heat? It's so unfair on the poor things, mine is laying on the cold floor in the kitchen right now, you could not pay me enough money to drag her around badminton this weekend.

rachk89

Visit site

I know. Saw a lot of people that had dogs off leashes too on the TV. They should be thrown out for being stupid what if their dog runs into the track and scares the horse?

I don't particularly like dogs anyway but don't mind them going if they are well behaved don't bark at every movement and are kept on a leash at these events. You would think fellow horse people would have some sense.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Even worse, the RSPCA have had to break into 5 cars already today to rescue dogs in distress. What muppets! They probably had grandstand tickets and didn't realise you can't take dogs in, so dumped them in the car. There's even a dog crèche there.

99% of dogs there are fine. You always seem to hear it more on the tv, I find. We ALWAYS take our dogs. They're not yappy, not stressed and kept out of crowds. We go to a lot, often camping, so they're well used to it all. The dogs come first, so their comfort and stress levels are most important. For Labradors it's just the most amazing walk with 10,000 people picnicking en route! We left our elder dog behind for the day as she can't walk as far now, and felt awful. We went to the grassroots with a friend who's dog did yap occasionally, and I'm not sure why she decided to take it really. They do fly all, so the dogs possibly see other dogs somewhere as a competition venue and get excited.

I.M.N.

Visit site
I've just read this on Facebook and thought people might be interested:

Eventing is always suddenly put into perspective when a bad fall or accident occur and sadly for me and many more that was yesterday at Badminton. Within this sport everybody puts in so much time, energy, money, commitment- the list is endless and sometimes I do wonder - why? There are far more lows than highs but we have to work our way through, learn from them and continue working with the animals we love. Even though this lady is my boss, without being bias, in my opinion she is one of the most talented, stylish and understated riders I have come across; being at the top of our sport is where she belongs. Watching this lady go cross country can be magical and Let's Dance who she was riding yesterday is also a phenomenal mare with such a classy jump and so much talent.

On our T.V and the screens at Badminton sadly not much of her round was shown which was a pity as everyone in the riders tent and on the commentary said how amazing and foot perfect the pair were as they tackled the course making it look easy. Sadly Jeanette Brakewell and Bella had a nasty fall with only two more jumping efforts to go, the team at Badminton were second to none. There were 10 vets and many paramedics at one point giving them both the best treatment possible, so thank you all for doing such a fantastic job!

Jeanette stayed in hospital over night, broken some ribs and her face is not ready for photos but Jan is in good spirits, complaining about having to stay in. Hopefully she will be coming out soon and on her way home as i know she won't be being a good patient. Lets dance (Bella) is sound, just her neck and shoulders are badly bruised but she is looking good and on her route home very shortly.

There are far too many people to thank for all their support and help on the day, everyone who has offered to help with anything on the yard etc it is all very much appreciated. Luckily both Jeanette and Bella have walked away without picking up any serious injuries which I am relieved about, rest and ice for them both and they will be back out eventing before we know it!

It was posted on Alice Pearsons page via Daniel Alderson

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
So glad to hear they are both doing ok. Hope they are both fully recovered soon.

Jeanette was lovely to OH and me when we had had to stop her X country due to a course hold when we were fence judging at a local BE intermediate class. It was our first time ever doing a real live stop, and it would be a GB rider! She was very nice to deal with.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Glad she is ok and I sympathise re the broken ribs as I have some too. It was a horrible looking fall and she had been going so well before then.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I have just seen these photos on FB. As we know, Ben Hobday and Mulrys Error stormed round the X country and were also clear SJ, but I didn't realise that they survived a very hairy moment at the Gatehouse New Pond.

https://www.facebook.com/ben.hobday.1/posts/1700776186851787:0

Incredible determination and guts from both, crashing out was not an option.

Go Wilderberry the Wonder Pony.

I.M.N.

Visit site
I have just seen these photos on FB. As we know, Ben Hobday and Mulrys Error stormed round the X country and were also clear SJ, but I didn't realise that they survived a very hairy moment at the Gatehouse New Pond.

https://www.facebook.com/ben.hobday.1/posts/1700776186851787:0

Incredible determination and guts from both, crashing out was not an option.

Go Wilderberry the Wonder Pony.

Amazing! I love the determination in the bottom left photo. Looks like Mulrys Error tripped going into the water, that would have been a very frustrating end.