Badminton XC thread

fetlock

Visit site
Gosh having watched the YouTube video if I were a horse I wouldn’t want to be in Alex Braggs stable.

I know.
When an eventing syndicate placed a young horse with Laura Collett I was very tempted to buy a share (one of those £65 a year syndicates, where you own a tail hair or whisker of the horse). So glad I didn't, as the horse is now with him.

Spotherisk

Visit site
Where is it? I missed his round but always thought he sounded so lovely when commentating so sad to hear that.

very end of the YouTube video. The horse knocked the frangible pin of the footbridge then shot off like a rocket, he gave it a few belts and the way it ran straight away made me think he was expecting it. Then he tipped off at a later fence, I think the horse went down - no pat, just a grab of the reins and walk off, didn’t even look at the horse.

Michen

Visit site
very end of the YouTube video. The horse knocked the frangible pin of the footbridge then shot off like a rocket, he gave it a few belts and the way it ran straight away made me think he was expecting it. Then he tipped off at a later fence, I think the horse went down - no pat, just a grab of the reins and walk off, didn’t even look at the horse.

Just saw it, actually I just noticed where he kind of elbowed the horse out of annoyance at the very end in the chest. Jeez

fetlock

Visit site

The horse actually went down on his knees after the footbridge, and got rewarded for that with a couple of whacks.

(I admit that after that episode I was pleased he fell off later)

stangs

Visit site
Very upsetting watching.

Really struggled to watch those rotational falls; just the amount of impact, and surely damage, the horse's neck must be taking on is horrifying. Then Mollie Summerland with her disgusting use of the stick after a refusal. Absolutely no excuse for it. Ought to have been eliminated for that alone, rather than choosing to retire. Austrian horse looked lame after its refusal - rider didn't look like they had any intention of dismounting? And the cherry on the cake, nosebands looking too tight, and horses looking like they were really straining against them. Competition horses live such good lives, my foot.

ETA: was possibly too quick to judge the Austrian

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
Very upsetting watching.

Really struggled to watch those rotational falls; just the amount of impact, and surely damage, the horse's neck must be taking on is horrifying. Then Mollie Summerland with her disgusting use of the stick after a refusal. Absolutely no excuse for it. Ought to have been eliminated for that alone, rather than choosing to retire. Austrian horse looked lame after its refusal - rider didn't look like they had any intention of dismounting? And the cherry on the cake, nosebands looking too tight, and horses looking like they were really straining against them. Competition horses live such good lives, my foot.

I was disappointed with Mollie for that because the horse was looking tired and struggling quite a bit before the water. I've always really liked her from everything I've seen, hopefully just the pressure getting too much for her.

Cob Life

Visit site
I found lots of the XC very difficult to watch - Nicola's fall, Swallow Springs and the total failure to check him after, and Vitorio du Montet who was struggling before that horrific fall. I wish more of the visibly struggling horses had been stopped.

That said, there were some lovely people to watch - Kylie Roddy was fab, Ros Canter and Alice Casburn. So pleased for Alice. I had a very brief chat with her at Burnham without knowing who she was and have since been rooting for her to succeed.
I have to say I’m not OT biggest fan and it made me uncomfortable to see how Swallow Springs hit that fence and he carried on. I didn’t see Vitorio du Montet.

but I really respect the riders that made the choice to pull up for their/their horses safety

Bellaboo18

Visit site
We went today and luckily missed any falls but I just watched the start of this video and blimey Tom McEwen, what was he thinking ? he was never getting away with that. Very poor judgement.
I wish they hadn't put Nicolas fall in there, very scary to see, I hope she's ok.
We did see Olivers near dismount and wow he was just so calm, what ever happened he was staying on.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Jeez how can anything be titled “best falls and refusals”??

It's unpleassant watching out of context - I don't think it's terribly helpful/responsible to upload it in this way, trivialising the things that go wrong as fun entertainment. Much like those old thrills and spills tapes - the world has changed.

Would probably make sense to report and get these videos taken down from Youtube as copyright infringement anyway.

pistolpete

Visit site
I didn’t watch to the end of those falls/refusals either. Too much for me. So sad. There will be much discussion by the powers that be of how the course rode. Wonder also about the reintroduction of the roads and tracks causing some tiredness?

scats

Visit site
Just watched that YouTube video. Horrible. Some absolutely horrific falls there.
That French horse was extremely distressing to watch. As someone stated earlier, it looked like Hickstead did when he died.
Nicola’s fall was horrific and what on earth was Tom thinking at that bounce. Emily King was very lucky that her horse didn’t run off while she was trapped by her stirrup.
Oli clearly didn’t care if his horse was lame or hurt after that near miss. Just carried on. That was not good horsemanship at all and he ought to be ashamed of himself.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Just on my way home from Badminton. It was a funny one. When I walked it on Thursday I thought there were a lot of really easy fences, and actually a lot of falls sounded to have happened at those. I actually wondered whether they were too easy and didn’t command enough respect? The big beefy fences seemed to jump well. The vicarage vee ditch fences were scary, but we had a picnic up there and watched loads go through without much problem. It rewarded positive, forward, old fashioned Xc riding. In contrast the solar farm bounce was hideous and I didn’t see many go through “comfortably”. It just looked so narrow and had a blind approach. Quite frankly an awful Xc fence, not what I would want to see as the future of XC. And what was Tom thinking hurtling at it like that??

Malibu_Stacy

Visit site
Austrian horse looked lame after its refusal - rider didn't look like they had any intention of dismounting?

tbf she put her hand up, and then got off about half a second after that clip ended. If you watch carefully after the horse baulks at the second jump, as he twists away you can see a back shoe fly off, and it’s the same leg the horse then takes the lame steps on; I really don’t think she could have reacted any faster than she did.

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I think this is an interesting comment from the eventing nation write up

When two high-profile falls happen in such quick succession, it can give the impression of a particularly brutal day of cross-country, but with its 72.5% completion rate and 62.5% clear rate, Badminton’s influence on paper was much the same as it’s always been, and by the end of the day, a rather generous six horse-and-rider combinations had come home clear and inside the time.

https://eventingnation.com/laura-colletts-reign-continues-on-dramatic-badminton-cross-country-day/