Badminton XC!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
horses who went towards the middle of the day seemed to be finishing best.

last few horses have all looked tired as they're coming to the finish, I wonder if it's coincidence

Agreed. Wonder what the temperature etc is like there, as that could also be influential.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
He was very clearly (imo) waving it and urging the horse on, not beating it. That's not to say I'd rather not see it, but it's also not to say that with that sort of money on the line, I wouldn't do the same.

Yeah agreed, and I do also think that if there are genuine welfare concerns then they would be addressed officially by the stewards, which makes it a bit of a giant risk if someone WAS to really whack a horse in public.

DiNozzo

Visit site
Strike Smartly one to watch I think! Few years more experience and that sort of 'stored' fitness might pick him right up!

wkiwi

Visit site
Being fair, I don't think the whip was making contact every time, and he does have $350,000 on the line.

No, he didn't make contact every time - some of it was whip waving along side. But still didn't see any one else having to make the number of hits he did. The amount of money should not matter.

fetlock

Visit site
He was very clearly (imo) waving it and urging the horse on, not beating it. That's not to say I'd rather not see it, but it's also not to say that with that sort of money on the line, I wouldn't do the same.

I agree he was waving it (or mostly) at the end but he did hit the horse quite a bit during that round- you could hear the smacks at times, and more so than anyone else.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Yeah agreed, and I do also think that if there are genuine welfare concerns then they would be addressed officially by the stewards, which makes it a bit of a giant risk if someone WAS to really whack a horse in public.

Indeed - he's no fool, he's not going to put himself in a position to win, and get himself eliminated for something like that. You're not going to get away with any infringement of the rules with the level of scrutiny at this sort of event.

Wishfilly

Visit site

I do agree, but I don't think they addressed the blood at Kentucky well last week (from marylin little).

Experienced equestri

Visit site
as usual we re not at the top of the leader board after dressage & cross country. Happy to be second & 3rd etc though .Everyone has done very well given the heat so 3 cheers to everyone

HashRouge

Visit site
Does anyone know what happens if Oli and Janelle both jump clear? Does it stay as it is, suggesting XC is worth more than the dressage?

DiNozzo

Visit site
as usual we re not at the top of the leader board after dressage & cross country. Happy to be second & 3rd etc though .Everyone has done very well given the heat so 3 cheers to everyone

There's 4 British riders in the top 10, 3 from NZ, and then one each for America, Germany and Ireland, there's a fair mix!

BBP

Visit site
Very excited to see Jonelle in the lead, knew her from my days as a groom on the circuit in NZ, before they made the move over here. She’s a very classy rider.

Northern

Visit site
Live feed was super laggy, great watching tonight. Well done to all! Especially Jonelle, being a neighbour over the ditch :D

Bernster

Visit site
Just back from a hot sunny and lovely day at Badders. I’m knackered so can’t imagine how horse and riders there are doing! Hope they all come out ok tmrw but wouldn’t be surprised if some aren’t presented as the ground will have taken it out of them. Very tense jump off.

Gutted about Jonty and art, they did so well until that mishap, taking lines that lots of people had struggled with.

And a horrid movement involving Alexander Bragg’s 2nd ride, not sure what happened but I saw it. Looked like it spooked at the top of the big Saville hill, but then it seemed to be due to something very badly wrong with his right fore. Horse was taken off in an ambulance, came very quickly off course. The organisation was impressive but it was awful to watch. Really hope it’s ok. Anyone know?

Jazzmaster

New User
Visit site
Live feed was super laggy, great watching tonight. Well done to all! Especially Jonelle, being a neighbour over the ditch :D

How do you watch it This evening please? I can’t work out where to view it. Been at work all day and would love to watch the coverage. It’s on the bbc sport app on my phone but can’t get it to play and can’t find it on the tv? Thank you!

pixie27

Visit site
Sorry if it’s been answered already (can’t scroll through so many pages on phone on way home from badminton) but does anyone know how the French (I think) horse is who had the accident in the start box? Saw him go off in the horse ambulance but didn’t get any updates :( looked pretty nasty but hoping he just knocked himself!

Bernster

Visit site
And a horrid movement involving Alexander Bragg’s 2nd ride, not sure what happened but I saw it. Looked like it spooked at the top of the big Saville hill, but then it seemed to be due to something very badly wrong with his right fore. Horse was taken off in an ambulance, came very quickly off course. The organisation was impressive but it was awful to watch. Really hope it’s ok. Anyone know?

OH has just found the news report. So, so sad, the horse did a suspensory and has been euthanised. What a horrid turn of events.

Northern

Visit site
How do you watch it This evening please? I can’t work out where to view it. Been at work all day and would love to watch the coverage. It’s on the bbc sport app on my phone but can’t get it to play and can’t find it on the tv? Thank you!

I'm in Australia, and had to subscribe to Horse and Country TV to watch it live. I believe there is a live stream on the Badminton website, depends where you are. Australia was blocked from it :(

wkiwi

Visit site
Don't know about the French horse, but Badminton has made a statement about Alexander Bragg's horse. Sadly put down after irreparable damage to suspensory ligament :(

sasquatch

Visit site
Don't know about the French horse, but Badminton has made a statement about Alexander Bragg's horse. Sadly put down after irreparable damage to suspensory ligament :(

On twitter I've seen someone say that it was Denis Mesples and Oregon de la Vigne who had an accident at the start box - not heard much else and not sure what happened, so hope both are okay. May also explain why they didn't start and were a late withdrawal. Hoping no news is good news.

Kadastorm

Visit site
Haven’t heard about a possible fatality but just seen that Oliver Townend has been given a warning over misuse of the whip on both his horses and they will be checked thoroughly at tomorrow’s inspection.

fetlock

Visit site
Good.

"The Ground Jury interviewed Oliver Townend (GBR) regarding his riding of his horses Cooley SRS and Ballaghmore Class at Badminton 5th May 2018.

They gave him an official warning regarding his over-use of the whip on both horses and told him that the horses would be checked very carefully on Sunday morning for the horse inspection for their fitness to compete in the jumping phase."

https://www.badminton-horse.co.uk/category/latest-news/

sasquatch

Visit site
Oli T now also been issued with a warning
https://www.badminton-horse.co.uk/badminton-ground-jury-statement-regarding-oliver-townend/

I actually didn't think his first ride was too bad, the horse did finish tired but quite a few who went early did. Second ride wasn't anywhere near as nice, and horse was very clearly tired.

Like I've said earlier though, it'd be interesting to know if the conditions of the day contributed to how tired out some of the horses finished too. Think it was telling no one finished inside the time, and Jonelle was the only one who really came close.