Badminton XC!

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I'm fairly sure the fall = elimination rule has been in a while for FEI, both xc and sj. Given it's a young horse I wouldn't be surprised if Pippa popped it over for confidence, rather than any malice.

I would have thought same. Young horse, end on a good note.

Mule

Visit site
I had a look at the xc yellow card list. An American rider got one for jumping a 3* fence while riding a 1* course. Not a mistake I'd make;)

There's also stuff like not showing the horse's passport or the rider not having regulated safety equipment. A lot of the cards aren't anything to do with horse welfare. Although there are a lot for overuse of the whip and the most common is jumping after 3 refusals.

Also of interest is the percentage of 'abuse of horse' cards in showjumping is much higher than in endurance. Wouldn't have thought that judging from the press coverage.

Last edited:

lannerch

Visit site
I had a look at the xc yellow card list. An American rider got one for jumping a 3* fence while riding a 1* course. Not a mistake I'd make;)

There's also stuff like not showing the horse's passport or the rider not having regulated safety equipment. A lot of the cards aren't anything to do with horse welfare. Although there are a lot for overuse of the whip and the most common is jumping after 3 refusals.

Also of interest is the percentage of 'abuse of horse' cards in showjumping is much higher than in endurance. Wouldn't have thought that judging from the press coverage.
I think it’s becauce in endurance there have been those photos of horses with badly broken legs extreme abuse.

Added to that a lot more people show jump, so percentage wise it’s probably no greater.

Last edited:

Velcrobum

Visit site
Andrew Nicholson was brutal with his horses, he has subsequently stated after the fall when he broke his neck that his riding had become softer and more sympathetic . Yes OT's riding was ugly waving the whip like a jockey and the commentators on Radio Badminton referred to as scrubbing along to ride a finish. There has certainly been a trial by social media that appears to be escalating into a witch hunt.

Mooseontheloose

Visit site
It's ridiculous. Ground jury has had their say. He's apologised. Why are people even going there now.
And calling AN brutal is fairly judgemental.

Mule

Visit site
It's ridiculous. Ground jury has had their say. He's apologised. Why are people even going there now.
And calling AN brutal is fairly judgemental.

The conversation on this thread hasn't been about OT in days. The last posts were about yellow cards.

ihatework

Visit site
On the FEI sanction issue I find it disconcerting there are no disciplinary actions in dressage. Because that’s a squeaky clean sport ..... not.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It is always staggering when discussion forums get used for discussion.

IHW I was wondering if that was part of the issue with their not being many endurance ones too? I think stewarding has been questioned in the past for both sport. I wonder if it is also in part because 'continuing after 3 refusals/getting back on after you fell off' etc are all very clear cut non-arguable points in comparison to the non-jumping sports?

fetlock

Visit site
Published a few minutes ago.

http://www.bhs.org.uk/our-charity/press-centre/news/2018/may/statement-on-oliver-townend

"Gemma Stanford, Director of Welfare at The British Horse Society said; “The British Horse Society supports the horse and rider in all equine disciplines under the condition that the highest welfare and safety standards are adhered to at all times. The welfare of the horse should always be paramount. Riders at this level have an increased responsibility as they are role models and should also be setting an example for the next generation coming through our sport. The behaviour displayed by Oliver Townend was completely unacceptable. We strongly believe that the sanctions given to Mr Townend by the FEI were not high enough in this particular case. The British Horse Society will be raising these concerns to the FEI.”

ihatework

Visit site

IHW I was wondering if that was part of the issue with their not being many endurance ones too? I think stewarding has been questioned in the past for both sport. I wonder if it is also in part because 'continuing after 3 refusals/getting back on after you fell off' etc are all very clear cut non-arguable points in comparison to the non-jumping sports?

I suspect you are right - there isn’t a clear cut and easy way to define things like noseband tightness (yet) and how deep is too deep/rollkeur. It need brave direction from the top and the stewards backs fully covered.

Don’t get me started on endurance. If ever there was a more corrupt and abusive horse sport ....

caladria

Visit site

I'm not particularly convinced that any of the horse sports are really ready to be held up as a shining beacon of consistent stewarding... there seems to be an element of pot luck on XC as to whether the stewards care or not and certain days riders are sanctioned when perhaps on another day they wouldn't be.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm not particularly convinced that any of the horse sports are really ready to be held up as a shining beacon of consistent stewarding... there seems to be an element of pot luck on XC as to whether the stewards care or not and certain days riders are sanctioned when perhaps on another day they wouldn't be.

I certainly wasn't suggesting there were any shining beacons!

fburton

Visit site
Well that would eliminate the majority of dressage competitors, using the one finger test, from what I have seen, although that noseband is not the best fitting to use as an example in theory it should be simple enough to have a set maximum tightness measured where shown in the video.
I believe you! For a relative outsider to this game (i.e. me!) can people explain why it wouldn't work in practice?

Mule

Visit site
I believe you! For a relative outsider to this game (i.e. me!) can people explain why it wouldn't work in practice?

I don't know why looser nosebands wouldn't work in dressage. The western riders don't use any at all. Despite them riding on a loose rein they ride with heavy reins and big curb bits with long shanks so I think they have a connection to the bit even if it doesn't look like it.
Mind, I'm not sure because I haven't ridden western

II'm also just learning dressage so there's tons I don't know about that aswell. My friend rides at gp though and she leaves nosebands pretty loose so tight nose bands mustn't be necessary:confused4: Mabey someone else can give us the answer

Sandstone1

Visit site
Published a few minutes ago.

http://www.bhs.org.uk/our-charity/press-centre/news/2018/may/statement-on-oliver-townend

"Gemma Stanford, Director of Welfare at The British Horse Society said; “The British Horse Society supports the horse and rider in all equine disciplines under the condition that the highest welfare and safety standards are adhered to at all times. The welfare of the horse should always be paramount. Riders at this level have an increased responsibility as they are role models and should also be setting an example for the next generation coming through our sport. The behaviour displayed by Oliver Townend was completely unacceptable. We strongly believe that the sanctions given to Mr Townend by the FEI were not high enough in this particular case. The British Horse Society will be raising these concerns to the FEI.”

Give it a while and the OT fanclub will be saying that The Bhs dont know what they are talking about.

TGM

Visit site
Interesting to see what sort of effect the BHS statement will have on his sponsors, some of which must be wavering a bit anyway. Surely you don't want to be seen to be supporting a rider who has been publically criticised by the national equestrian body?

Mule

Visit site
Interesting to see what sort of effect the BHS statement will have on his sponsors, some of which must be wavering a bit anyway. Surely you don't want to be seen to be supporting a rider who has been publically criticised by the national equestrian body?

I'd say if he hadn't apologised he'd be in trouble with his sponsors but the statement he released was good.

ihatework

Visit site

At the moment it needs ‘by in’. FEI, stewards, competitors. It will take a while for attitudes to change, not least because it will cause some ‘problems’ for horses already moving up the level whose riders are reliant on strapping the gobs shut tight.

A little bit like the showing world. The bulk of the population can see that the majority of show horses are obese, but until judging attitudes change then horses will continue to be in ‘show condition’