Badminton XC!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I do alway think the yellow card list and the BE sanctions list can make for interesting reading.

I also think that the continuation of equine events at the olympics rely somewhat on portraying the fabulous bond/partnership between horse and rider and pros have to be careful not to jeopardise that image.

Unfortunatey for eventing joe public doesn't really understand about rollkur, but everyone knows a what a whip is/does.

HashRouge

Visit site
The discussion has plummeted somewhat from the last time I read it.

However, Mr Townend has acknowledged all the points raised and made an appropriate comment. That was very much needed and hopefully at Chatsworth next weekend he will be seen to ride within the rules and according to whatever conditions prevail.
I suspect he is going to be very careful about the way he rides XC, after this weekend's furore. After all, no point being world and UK number 1 if everyone hates you and thinks you abuse your horses!
I have to say I think there is some very emotive language being bandied about on this thread. I don't think that either of Oli's rides constituted an "awful act of cruelty" or however they were described. I don't think he was "abusing" his horses with his riding, either. If I hadn't seen him ride, and had only read this thread, I would be envisaging him flogging a horse round that was so exhausted it could barely climb over the jumps! I do however agree with whoever it was who said earlier on the thread that his riding was at the very limits of what was acceptable (well, I'd argue he crossed those limits), and found his ride on Ballaghmor Class quite uncomfortable to watch (missed Cooley's run as was out with the horses). I also think it made a pretty rubbish spectacle for any non-horsey viewers, especially when compared with the likes of Michael Jung, Ros Canter and that fab Spanish rider (I sadly didn't see Jonelle's ride).

teapot

Visit site
Very interesting thanks for the link. Pippa Funnell has a yellow card ( a worse offence) where is the furore for that ?
And it just shows how Chinese whispers start, how the substitution rule break has been changed to a whip offence.

She jumped after a fall going by the FEI list. A rider fall that was in the show jumping I seem to remember.

OT is the only person to received anything at Badminton.

Last edited:

Mooseontheloose

Visit site
Perhaps it would be a good idea for everyone to watch all the material from Badminton. Watch the dressage and see which horses look calm, relaxed and happy.
Watch the xc, and see whether all the falls were horse mistakes or whether there were riders who could have done better and see which horses did finish very very tired.
Then watch the showjumping and especially at the lower end see which horses really should have stayed in their stables on Sunday morning, whether or not they passed the vet.
And then decide whether or not OT deserves quite all the vitriol.
I am not excusing him, just saying that there is a very slanted view from some people.

{97702}

Visit site
If I hadn't seen him ride, and had only read this thread, I would be envisaging him flogging a horse round that was so exhausted it could barely climb over the jumps!

No - that was last time all the furore happened about his riding :p

OT’s apology is meaningless for me - he has done it before and he will no doubt do it again, it was not pleasant to watch this weekend and unfortunately that will now be what a huge number of people think happens all the time in Eventing.

{97702}

Visit site
In fact.... now I've looked at the FEI list.... 2014, O Townend, verbal warning for excessive use of whip and spurs.

Seems he doesn't learn

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
If you're travelling backwards you missed 12/5/17 floors castle 'Abuse of horse / inappropriate use of whip' ;)

{97702}

Visit site
If you're travelling backwards you missed 12/5/17 floors castle 'Abuse of horse / inappropriate use of whip' ;)

Oh he has plenty of them - Kelsall a couple of weeks ago in fact - but I was referring to him doing it at Badminton, on TV, with the full glare of media coverage. I don't think he is a cruel horse abuser as has been suggested on some FB posts I have read, but I do have to wonder about his lack of common sense....

lannerch

Visit site
Lévrier;13770940 said:
Oh he has plenty of them - Kelsall a couple of weeks ago in fact - but I was referring to him doing it at Badminton, on TV, with the full glare of media coverage. I don't think he is a cruel horse abuser as has been suggested on some FB posts I have read, but I do have to wonder about his lack of common sense....

Kelsall was not abuse of horse but a substitution infringement see earlier posts. But he does have a history of warnings for over usage of whip.

{97702}

Visit site
The Kelsall one seems to be a horse change, no mention of whip.

Eeeek sorry OT! I done you wrong there, apologies, I was sure I'd seen it on a list somewhere as being misuse of whip, my bad :(

The list generally does make interesting reading :p

popsdosh

Visit site
Lévrier;13770943 said:
Eeeek sorry OT! I done you wrong there, apologies, I was sure I'd seen it on a list somewhere as being misuse of whip, my bad :(

The list generally does make interesting reading :p

Actually it is enlightening how much is at the lower levels not just confined to the elite who are more scrutinised

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I also think it made a pretty rubbish spectacle for any non-horsey viewers, especially when compared with the likes of Michael Jung, Ros Canter and that fab Spanish rider (I sadly didn't see Jonelle's ride).

no one is perfect :wink3: Carlos Fernandez Diaz received a verbal warning last month for dangerous riding. (not a witch hunt, the name just stuck out at me when looking at the list earlier). I'm only pointing this out because people seem to really have it in for OT and there are examples all over the place of people being good horsemen on one day, and not so great on another.

teapot

Visit site
Lévrier;13770971 said:
What did Pippa Funnell get a yellow card for on Billy the Biz? Think it was at Aachen? Just being nosy :D

She got back on and jumped the final fence in the show jumping after falling off.

Northern Hare

Visit site
Apologies for going off at a tangent, but I was wondering if the final result yesterday would have been different if the dressage coefficient had been applied - instead of the new dressage marking without the CE.

However, I don’t fully understand how the CE was calculated - was it just a case of multiplying the “good marks” by 1.5 please?

Kat_Bath

Visit site
If I've calculated it correctly, the top 10 would have been Jonelle, Oli (SRS), Ros C, Oli (BC), Mark T, Gemma (AS), Michael J, Lauren K, Tom Mc and Padraig. Placings 1-3 the same but then all change.

teapot

Visit site
Did that mean elimination, I know it does now, but it’s a new rule for this year, expect the fei had it already and Pippa forgot is this the case?

I'm fairly sure the fall = elimination rule has been in a while for FEI, both xc and sj. Given it's a young horse I wouldn't be surprised if Pippa popped it over for confidence, rather than any malice.

lannerch

Visit site
I'm fairly sure the fall = elimination rule has been in a while for FEI, both xc and sj. Given it's a young horse I wouldn't be surprised if Pippa popped it over for confidence, rather than any malice.
Agree no malice would have been intended , I think that ones totally forgiven .