Been to view this horse today

Birker2020

Visit site
Such a shame, he was actually quite a nice boy but then took off with me and started broncing. Prior to that one his first canter he'd had a bit of a shake of his head but he didn't feel like he was going to do anything. That was my 2nd canter on him.

Feeling a bit despondent and shook up.

But at least I know that type of horse was something I can consider going forward as its not the type I normally go for.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240324_132608_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240324_132608_Gallery.jpg
    419.5 KB · Views: 536
  • Screenshot_20240324_171707_Photo Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20240324_171707_Photo Editor.jpg
    929.9 KB · Views: 527
  • Screenshot_20240324_132513_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240324_132513_Gallery.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 525

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Sorry that you had that experience.

A bit risky posting that, but that's just me.

"But at least I know that type of horse was something I can consider going forward as its not the type I normally go for."

What do you mean by this? You're now considering horses that bronc but you weren't before? 🤣 I am assuming it's not that!

Birker2020

Visit site
Sorry that you had that experience.

A bit risky posting that, but that's just me.

"But at least I know that type of horse was something I can consider going forward as its not the type I normally go for."

What do you mean by this? You're now considering horses that bronc but you weren't before? 🤣 I am assuming it's not that!
No I'm considering it's breed.l now as it's not the type I'd normally go for.

Why is it risky posting? I've not said where the horse is, how old, breed, type or experience, where it was advertised. I've hidden it's features.

Nor have I warned anyone off it.

If people are wanting to dig that's their perogative I suppose lol

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It's such a shame because he was exactly the kind of horse I was hoping you would look at. I feel he's let me down! And his type, too. It's very suspicious that he cantered OK one way and not the other. Very well sat, and good luck carrying on the search.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
No I'm considering it's breed.l now as it's not the type I'd normally go for.

Why is it risky posting? I've not said where the horse is, how old, breed, type or experience, where it was advertised. I've hidden it's features.

Nor have I warned anyone off it.

If people are wanting to dig that's their perogative I suppose lol

I'm just more risk adverse probably, so don't mind me!

Glad you sat through all that and have another type of horse to consider.

blodwyn1

Visit site
I tried a pony on Thursday and was very disappointed to find my nerves were worse not better on a different pony. Not only that but the poor girl picked up on me and became more jumpy which made me worse. So it looks like retirement from the saddle is coming which is very sad. I àlready have the buckskin up for sale if anyone is interested and I will try and persevere with Gg.

Needtoretire

Visit site
Probably the classic 'oooh he's never done that before'
Not necessarily, I sold a lovely big homebred a few years ago who did exactly the same thing with one of the people who tried him. On the phone they told me they rode well and had done a lot. Potential purchaser climbed on board and got into trot, got behind the movement and grabbed his mouth to hold on.

I rightly said 'he has never done that before' but then again, he had never had anyone doing rising trot on the cantle and hold themselves on by his mouth. I also had an alarming experience trying a horse who didn't like me at all. Travelled miles to see it, owner was the tiniest lightweight girl, probably 7st max, I am a lot heavier, the horse was a big ID and more than able to carry me but he made it very clear he didn't like the difference at all and the vendor was very honest telling me the horse had never carried anyone heavier than her.

It is so frustrating for the OP to have a poor ride, but hopefully she did get some feedback.

Birker2020

Visit site
What are you looking for @Birker2020
16.2hh - 17hh gelding, WB/ISH or ID. Probably 7-12 years really. Must hack on own, good to catch, shoe, etc with no medical history. Looking for middleweight weight carrier type. Nothing spooky. For unaff SJ/ Dressage, fun rides, schooling and hacking. Must be open to vet/xrays and prefer no greys/coloureds. Decent budget.

I'm looking regularly on Horsequest and Whickr and FB Irish horse sites.

These type of builds really.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240311_162742_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240311_162742_Gallery.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 375
  • Screenshot_20240311_161659_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240311_161659_Facebook.jpg
    705.6 KB · Views: 237
  • Screenshot_20240306_132655_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240306_132655_Gallery.jpg
    482.2 KB · Views: 221
  • Screenshot_20240211_175820_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20240211_175820_Messages.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 377

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
That's disappointing for you. Did the vendor give you any feed back.

Not necessarily, I sold a lovely big homebred a few years ago who did exactly the same thing with one of the people who tried him. On the phone they told me they rode well and had done a lot. Potential purchaser climbed on board and got into trot, got behind the movement and grabbed his mouth to hold on.

I rightly said 'he has never done that before' but then again, he had never had anyone doing rising trot on the cantle and hold themselves on by his mouth. I also had an alarming experience trying a horse who didn't like me at all. Travelled miles to see it, owner was the tiniest lightweight girl, probably 7st max, I am a lot heavier, the horse was a big ID and more than able to carry me but he made it very clear he didn't like the difference at all and the vendor was very honest telling me the horse had never carried anyone heavier than her.

It is so frustrating for the OP to have a poor ride, but hopefully she did get some feedback.

I don't see any benefit to Birker in you asking the question you asked and the explanation you've given is actually a bit nasty. She's done really well not to rise to it. Perhaps we could stick to sympathising that the excitement of searching for a new horse didn't go to plan today?

Birker2020

Visit site
It’s a dangerous business trying horses especially as you get older .
Birker what are you wanting to do with your new horse ?
Just riding club activities. To start with I will want to do schooling probably couple of times a week, with a couple of times a week hacking out on our own. And getting back into riding again in general. Also one day of groundwork (raised poles, etc) to help build topline and core. It was a really interesting journey with Lari doing this and they way his shape changed. I am very riding unfit so will be doing short 20 min sessions and 30 minute lessons until I build my strength.

And when I've lost weight which I will do once I'm riding/mucking out again I will fit into my show gear and then go unaff sj, fun rides, dressage, mini ODE's, etc.

I'm envisaging one week having a lesson, one week going to a competition, one week going to a fun ride, one week general schooling or maybe another lesson.

Supercalifragilistic

Visit site
16.2hh - 17hh gelding, WB/ISH or ID. Probably 7-12 years really. Must hack on own, good to catch, shoe, etc with no medical history. Looking for middleweight weight carrier type. Nothing spooky. For unaff SJ/ Dressage, fun rides, schooling and hacking. Must be open to vet/xrays and prefer no greys/coloureds. Decent budget.

I'm looking regularly on Horsequest and Whickr and FB Irish horse sites.

These type of builds really.
For that ‘type’ I would suggest looking at The Equestrian Noticeboard too.

Needtoretire

Visit site
I don't see any benefit to Birker in you asking the question you asked and the explanation you've given is actually a bit nasty. She's done really well not to rise to it. Perhaps we could stick to sympathising that the excitement of searching for a new horse didn't go to plan today?
Nothing nasty meant, feedback is crucial, the OP could have had a nasty confidence knock from what happened. I merely gave an example of what happened to me in the past and more recently I was bucked off a horse I tried. I wanted feedback for both experiences.

Trying and buying is a minefield, vendors and purchasers both need honesty and feedback. There is nothing to 'rise to' as you put it. I hope she finds a lovely and suitable horse in due course.

paddy555

Visit site
"He's never done that before"
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. Did the vendor demonstrate him thoroughly for you beforehand? I appreciate some horses don't like change but if he had never done that before I would have asked them to get back on after and show me.
Perhaps you were unlucky and the horse had had several people try him and he was getting fed up with it and you were the unlucky one.
Shame as he looked to be a nice horse. Can you take someone with you to try the next one? that will give an idea as to how it will react to strangers. It is a dangerous business trying horses. It must be hard trying to root out dishonesty.

scats

Visit site
My friend has an ex-riding school horse, was in his mid twenties at the time, when a friend from her work came to have a ride.
She was a good rider, so no issue there. Appeared to do nothing offensive to him, yet he uncharacteristically broncked in the corner of the school. Ive known this horse since he was 4 and he had never lifted his back legs under saddle before or since that day. He had obviously been used to different riders in the past, too.

Sometimes they genuinely do just behave oddly for reasons not known to us.