Been to view this horse today

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
My friend had a horse that was a bit too forward going for her so she decided to sell him, he was very quiet for the buyers, they never found him too forward going even once they got him home . My mare was always forward going but when one of my other friends rode her she was very quiet . It may just be that the horse got a different vibe, I was always told I had an electric seat as nothing was ever lazy or quiet when I rode them 🙁

Birker2020

Visit site
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. Did the vendor demonstrate him thoroughly for you beforehand? I appreciate some horses don't like change but if he had never done that before I would have asked them to get back on after and show me.
Perhaps you were unlucky and the horse had had several people try him and he was getting fed up with it and you were the unlucky one.
Shame as he looked to be a nice horse. Can you take someone with you to try the next one? that will give an idea as to how it will react to strangers. It is a dangerous business trying horses. It must be hard trying to root out dishonesty.
Hi I took my partner and was very lucky to take along a professional who told the seller what they did for a living and that they were with me in purely a friend capacity which they were, so we were totally transparent, if my friend had seen any issues I'd have been told.

The rider got on first and demonstrated all the gaits but he was very kick along for her and she looked like she was riding him with kid gloves or at least that was the impression I got but obviously this is all in retrospect and may have been completely innocent, maybe that is how she rode anyway, I don't know as I've never met her before. She's been in touch with me today to ask me how I am and seems very genuine and has done all along, my friend and my partner certainly didn't think she was in any way suspicious, she's been totally transparent with me in respect of the issues that were on the vetting report from last year when she got him vetted.

Its just very weird but one of those things. Back to the drawing board. It is very much buyer beware though and the horse buying process has not been easy last time around when I made a massive 'mistake' (the mistake being the horse I can't ride but whom I love dearly so I don't really see him as a mistake, more a forgivable hiccup) and this time around, this is the 2nd one I've tried now. As everyone says, you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find your prince.

Spirit7

Visit site
Such a shame, he was actually quite a nice boy but then took off with me and started broncing. Prior to that one his first canter he'd had a bit of a shake of his head but he didn't feel like he was going to do anything. That was my 2nd canter on him.

Feeling a bit despondent and shook up.

But at least I know that type of horse was something I can consider going forward as its not the type I normally go for.
Oh bless you. He looks a lovely type and well suited to you from images but I can see why your confidence was shook, you’d hope seller would have been able to advise so maybe it was a spring grass moment or similar. Anyway onward and upwards. I was looking this time last year, it’s super exciting. Hope you find what you want soon

Spirit7

Visit site
My friend had a horse that was a bit too forward going for her so she decided to sell him, he was very quiet for the buyers, they never found him too forward going even once they got him home . My mare was always forward going but when one of my other friends rode her she was very quiet . It may just be that the horse got a different vibe, I was always told I had an electric seat as nothing was ever lazy or quiet when I rode them 🙁
I’ve always been advised I have a hot bum and have never had trouble sending anything sluggish forwards, even as a kid the donkeys would be pushed at me to get jumping. But I prefer a Whoo to a kick in anyway x

misst

Visit site
You might be unfit but you obviously haven't forgotten how to stick on! I'd have been off in a moment if one did that to me. Glad no one was injured. You just need to find your right "fit" and "feel" so you can build another partnership. As someone else said at least he didn't behave beautifully when you tried him and do his party tricks when you got him home! You'll find someone perfect for you and I hope it is sooner than later.

Needtoretire

Visit site
If you haven't already, you could join the various Irish Draught owners/breeders groups on facebook. There are some very nice stamps on the pages. Another group worth looking at are the hunter pages.

Don't despair, there is something out there waiting for you to find him or her.

Bernster

Visit site
Hope you don’t mind me posting on here but on the subject of ‘he/she has never done that before’ I was a recipient of that during one viewing. It was the 2nd time of trying and we went on a hack. Horse did a massive rear part way through for no obvious reason. Now normally that would have been enough for me but it genuinely seemed out of character, and I believed the seller that it was.

My instructor advised me against buying, very sensibly, but after a 4 week trial at sellers yard I went ahead. Horse was a total poppet, never showed the slightest inclination to rear or misbehave ever again, and was one of the best horses I’ve ever known.

Obv it’s a different case to yours OP but it was a weird case of genuinely I don’t think the horse had ever done that!

(I did find a big old insect bite on her belly when I got back from that ride. My ins still felt it wasn’t good to get a horse who could react like that to a bite. But I forgave the mare for what turned out to be that one incident.)

But trying a new horse is a fraught activity, with dishonest sellers, but also horses that maybe just react in unexpected ways. I hope OP has success soon !

I'm Dun

Visit site
Saw this and thought of you Birker. Probs too far but looks nice

I'd want to see a side one stood up pic before I enquired. I've never once seen a Clydesdale with hocks I'd want to see on a riding horse, but maybe they got lucky with this one.

Flowerofthefen

Visit site
I asked my trainer to ride my horse one day. I found / find him quite lazy!! From the moment she got on I thought he was going to explode!! He bucked for the first and last time since I've had him, nearly 7 years. She actually said she wasn't going to trot him as she wanted to live!! I took him in the school the next day and he was back to lazy!

lynz88

Visit site
Hope you don’t mind me posting on here but on the subject of ‘he/she has never done that before’ I was a recipient of that during one viewing. It was the 2nd time of trying and we went on a hack. Horse did a massive rear part way through for no obvious reason. Now normally that would have been enough for me but it genuinely seemed out of character, and I believed the seller that it was.

My instructor advised me against buying, very sensibly, but after a 4 week trial at sellers yard I went ahead. Horse was a total poppet, never showed the slightest inclination to rear or misbehave ever again, and was one of the best horses I’ve ever known.

Obv it’s a different case to yours OP but it was a weird case of genuinely I don’t think the horse had ever done that!

(I did find a big old insect bite on her belly when I got back from that ride. My ins still felt it wasn’t good to get a horse who could react like that to a bite. But I forgave the mare for what turned out to be that one incident.)

But trying a new horse is a fraught activity, with dishonest sellers, but also horses that maybe just react in unexpected ways. I hope OP has success soon !

This can most defo happen. Friend of mine had an OTTB and we went on a hack. Had the horse for a number of months so 'knew' the horse. Horse out of nowhere reared and fell backwards on my friend. Friend kept the horse but was very wary though horse never showed any inclination or anything ever again to rear or do anything.

Birker, hats off to you staying on that as I would have been off!! Sometimes these things happen and glad the seller seems particularly genuine.

Visit site
Such a shame, he was actually quite a nice boy but then took off with me and started broncing. Prior to that one his first canter he'd had a bit of a shake of his head but he didn't feel like he was going to do anything. That was my 2nd canter on him.

Feeling a bit despondent and shook up.

But at least I know that type of horse was something I can consider going forward as its not the type I normally go for.
Well sat, and good luck on your search 🤞