best and lovely names

3Beasties

Visit site
I had a 'Pixie' which I really liked.

I once had 3 horses with very similar passport names which was quite odd as they were all completely different breeds/sizes etc but I felt like it linked them all together. First we got Black Hill Amber who was followed Black Country Lad who was later followed by Black Mountain Breeze (she was named by me though so slightly cheating). They all had 'black' followed by a similar theme :)

Now I have a Charlie, Missi and a Millie which I love too :)

Cluny

Visit site
My boy's registered name was Solstice, because he was born on Midsummer's day. It was amazing how many times a commentator could mess it up though!
There was a horse eventing in the mid-1990s called Hoof-Hearted, which caused some amusement when announced over the tannoy . . .

Snap - well sort of, my old horse was also born on Midsummers Day, so his registered name was Summer Solstice, or Solsti for short.

RutlandH2O

Visit site
Many, many years ago I took my Dad to his first, and only, all-breeds dog show. When we stopped to watch one of the novice obedience rings, I explained what was expected of the dog and handler and what the judge was looking for. When I had finished, a lady walked into the ring with a stunning Samoyed. I don't think my Dad had ever seen one so beautifully groomed and sparkling white. As they began their test, the lady called out 'Rusty, heel.' Everyone watching just dissolved in laughter, especially Dad.

Vanner

Visit site
I am LOVING this!!!! some beautiful names on here ...

I have a German Shepherd Dog called Sid (she is a little girlie) confuses the hell out of the folk!

My big fat gypsy cob is called Romany Bandit ... commonly known as Beebinsboy (don't even ask me why coz I have not a clue!!!!)

but the best name was my bogoff foal from 25 years ago ... Caeffyrddin Matthaeus; Caefyrddin because that was where he was conceived in Wales and Matthaeus which means "gift from the lord"

Still like Alan the cat though .....:D:D

Vanner

Visit site
oh and just thought of another one ... my ex brother in law used to have a Jack Russell called Deefer. (D for Dog, geddit!!!!! LOL!!!!)

MizzPurpleKitten

Visit site
My girlie's registered name is B Brassed Off (she's a Ginger, and By God does she tell you when she doesn't like something!), her stable name.....Nellie!

My last boy was registered Dancing Max, then chaned to Dickie Max.....both names were quite fitting due to the regular dancing and dickie fits he would have if you kept him waiting to jump for too long! Stable name was quite obviously Max.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
My three mules, Coffee Hollow Kiss My Fannie 15.3 QHx, Mule of Kintyre 14.1 and Djelibeybi 12 hands.

Only Treacle, the middle one is still with us.

ponynutz

Visit site
My girl's passport name is Dianne but because I was only 10 when I got her her stable name is now Dusty... because (quite famously in my own words) 'she's the colour of dust' LOL.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site

It is. You’ll see Penny responded to her at the time to update her on Spirit. I spoke to her old owner after a friend contacted me on here about 10 years ago. She gave me her history and sent me a pic of her doing endurance… she seems to have forgotten. It’s a sad story of an older horse being sold and passed around four homes in a year. She spent her retirement with me and cost me a fortune in vets bills - a lovely horse.

suebou

Visit site
My old-er New Forest is Knightwood Jezebel, it is wholly appropriate, she is very much her own woman! We have endless stories of her character!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I quite like Rigsby as a name.

He was called something else when I bought him, but imagine my surprise when I asked to see his passport before purchase and it said Sex - Rig!!!

I was determined to buy him but knocked some £ off his price to get it sorted and did a blood test as a first step, to find that he is, in fact, a gelding, as advertised.

I spent the rest of the money I had knocked off, in anticipation of more vets fees, to change his name officially as really it had to be Rigsby!!!

Baby horse took some naming, he came unnamed, and it is a great (quite posh and intelligent) name he is now registered as, but I won't share yet as he isn't yet registered with all the disciplines.

millikins

Visit site
Our Dales mare is called Bunny. Apparently it's because she was born at Easter which is good because she is about as bunnyish as a saltwater crocodile :D She's rather lovely though, just not sweet.

lurcher98

Visit site
It is. You’ll see Penny responded to her at the time to update her on Spirit. I spoke to her old owner after a friend contacted me on here about 10 years ago. She gave me her history and sent me a pic of her doing endurance… she seems to have forgotten. It’s a sad story of an older horse being sold and passed around four homes in a year. She spent her retirement with me and cost me a fortune in vets bills - a lovely horse.
Thankyou so much for replying to me , I’ll pass that on to Alison who runs the page , she joined here but it wouldn’t let her comment

Caol Ila

Visit site
I called my BOGOF Caso de Sorpresa. He's a purebred PRE, so it had to be something Spanish. I first discovered that his mother was pregnant on the day I PTS my 28-year old mare, who I'd owned for 21 years. She was called Gypsum. He was born exactly a week after she died (needless to say, his mum hid her pregnancy well). On the BOGOF thread I posted here, someone pointed out that CaSO4 was the chemical formula of gypsum. And Caso de Sorpresa means "case of surprise" in Spanish, and he certainly was that. So double wordplay.

My Highland's passport name is Balmenach of Auchness, and his ex-owner's barn name for him was Moose. Neither was really acceptable. I spent a while staring at maps and flicking through my mountaineering guidebooks, and settled on Foinavon. It's a nice mountain, grey (like he is... sort of... in a mouse dun way), and can be shortened to Fin for everyone who's afraid of Gaelic. And the mountain's name is Anglicised Gaelic -- it's really Foinne Bheinn. Anyway, that was my logic. Later, I learned Foinavon was also a racehorse, so people think I named him after the damned racehorse. I knew I should have called him Liathach and lived with people hating me because no one could pronounce it.